Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Whats wrong with Moon Knight? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 1  

Why has Moon Knight never been more popular? Is there something inherently flawed with the character or has he just never had the right creators take a shot at him?

I don't mean for this to be a negative discussion, just wondering what people think about what makes a character work.
Back to Top profile | search

Chuck Wells
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 2  

I like Moon Knight and honestly have no idea why the character isn't more popular. As a guess only, two things come to mind. The character was introduced with several identities (Marc Spector, Jake Lockley, Steven Grant) which might have prevented him from "grabbing" too many readers. 

Also artist Bill Sienkiewicz earned quite a bit of fan attention on his early run on Moon Knight, but later expressed dissatisfaction with his artwork on the title for it's similarities to Neal Adams work. His art on Moon Knight was terrific, but you have to admit that Adams was as much of an influence on this work as anything else. Sort of like how current hot artist Terry Dodson's work resembles Adam Hughes.

Like I said, I have no idea, like the bronze age Moon Knight and offer these theories as a place to start only.

Edited by Chuck Wells on 31 May 2013 at 11:14am

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 3  

I LOVE the design of Moon Knight, but the basic concept is a bit too close to Bruce Wayne, I suppose. I still haven't read the original series, though. I need to do that.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 4  

The three identities thing is originally what made the character interesting. But it went predictable places with Marvel. First he ends up with Multiple Personality Disorder, and ever since, writers have either ditched all but one secret identity and gone with 'he's sane now', or made him crazy. The 'he's sane now' versions end up getting written as a Batman clone, the crazy versions...mostly aren't worth reading.

I did like the take on him in West Coast Avengers that tied into the Godwar storyline in Thor. Unfortunately, that ended and Moon Knight left the book right before JB took over. I don't know if that's because JB didn't want to use him, or if the previous writer who had added Moon Knight to the team, was just putting the toys back in the box.

Rob Shalda
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 5  

I agree with Robert. Moon Knight always reminded me of Marvel's version of Batman. Other than the Sienkiewicz run I was never really interested in the character. Those multiple personalities were way too confusing. I did think he was pretty cool back in Werewolf by Night.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 6  

I like him - he has visual appeal (see below) and I really enjoyed the early Moench/Sienkiewicz stories.  My first exposure to him was when he first appeared in Werewolf by Night, and I think he works much better as a loner, with occasional interaction with obscure characters so he seems a little more set apart from the mainstream.  Keep him away from groups like the Defenders and Avengers.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 7  

Early Moon Knight costume -

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 8  

Chuck Wells wrote:
...As a guess only, two things come to mind. The character was introduced with several identities (Marc Spector, Jake Lockley, Steven Grant) which might have prevented him from "grabbing" too many readers...

It did keep me from getting into his first comic series as a kid. I liked the look of the character well enough, but the split-personalities/varied identities did turn me off.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 9  

There is nothing wrong with the character. It was how he was handled. Too often he was called Marvel's Batman. Now that isn't such bad company. But I never saw him as a Batman clone.

That first costume was such a fantastic design.

Jesse Perkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 10  

And I don't mean to say that popularity is the be all and end all of a good character, indeed he might work best as a more obscure/fringe hero. I just wish there were more great stories featuring him, done by top tier talent.

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 11  

But I never saw him as a Batman clone.

Rich guy living in a mansion. Has a butler and a large underground headquarters. Ask the average non comic fan who that sounds like.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

I think his look holds him back. All white, hood and cloak and a mask. For some reason it's an awkward visual look.

Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version