Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: A World without Wolverine (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 May 2013 at 5:01am | IP Logged | 1  

And all of a sudden Jean DID have some desire for Wolverine (I would imagine that a girl like Jean was originally portrayed would have found the notion of a romantic tryst with Wolverine as he was originally portrayed to be repellant)!

I posted this almost a year ago in the "What Happened To Wolverine?" thread. I still stand by it.

If you look back at the "on model" Logan/Wolverine, it's insane to think that he'd be able to get ANY woman, let alone Jean!

I mean, let's "run his stats," shall we? [snip]

He's really nothing more than a lean, mean, Danny DeVito! Go watch "Jack the Bear" if you need convincing.

The "Logan as a ladies' man" idea just doesn't work. At all.

••

The personification of Wolverine as a "ladies man" comes very much from the increasing dominance of the fan-turned-pro in the industry. The fan pool from which those pros are drawn has the same share (arguably an even LARGER share!) of obsessive, physically unattractive, out-of-shape, socially inept "loners" with dubious hygiene that make us cringe when we see them at conventions. You know the ones -- they're the people civilians think of when they picture "typical" comic fans.

And, of course, Wolverine hits all those points except for "out of shape". And he makes up for being so buff by being short! So, naturally, he becomes the magnet for those folk, who see him as their avatar in the books. (Peter Parker used to fill this role, but he's sort of good-looking AND bathes regularly. And, of course, he started to lose points of "connection" when he became a photojournalist married to a hot model.)

From this same group comes the fans who stuck around as market conditions and general foolishness caused the industry to shrink, so , of course, while in many cases being the people who were PRODUCING the books, they also became the people to whom those writers, artists and editors were pandering.

Wolverine was a "perfect storm" of disparate elements all coming together at the same time.

Back to Top profile | search

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2013 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 2  

Wolverine the ladies man comes down to an overly literal
reading of the phrase "animal magnetism".

But funny thing is comics were not alone in this. A
while back I read an article commenting on all the
sitcoms with chubby, short husbands and hot wives.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2013 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 3  

X-MEN #96:
This has been identified as Wolverine's first "berserker rage" scene, although it is not called that (so maybe it's not, maybe it's just the seed of the idea). I can't recall myself, so, because I'm sure my own memory can be very off, I take JB at his word that there were no berserkers during his tenure. Anybody have any panels that show something different?

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2013 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 4  

There was nothing wrong with Wolverine circa 1975-1980 as a concept, or in the execution for that matter. It was the lack of restraint of creators after that (certainly by the late 80's) that screwed everything up. Marvel always had gruff loners and borderline anti-social "heroes" (Hulk and the Thing) so Wolverine was simply a logical progression. It went wrong when people started to given serious thought to the notions that "Maybe Wolverine is right?" not to mention the even worse notion of "Maybe MAGNETO is right?"

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 May 2013 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 5  

This has been identified as Wolverine's first "berserker rage" scene, although it is not called that (so maybe it's not, maybe it's just the seed of the idea). I can't recall myself, so, because I'm sure my own memory can be very off, I take JB at his word that there were no berserkers during his tenure. Anybody have any panels that show something different?

••

Identifying that as a "berserker rage" is akin to finding "clues" that Darth Vader is Luke's father in the original STAR WARS. The term used to describe Wolverine during the entire time I was on the book was "homicidal maniac". (I don't recall if this was actually used IN the book. But 'round the office, and when Chris and I were discussing the character, that was what he was called.)

Some of you may recall what I have often cited as a "definitive" Wolverine "moment" -- Wolverine is sitting in the kitchen of the X-Mansion, eating breakfast, and Kitty walks in and says "Good morning" in just the wrong tone of voice. A few moments later, Scott comes in to find Kitty lying disemboweled on the linoleum, and a completely oblivious Logan still eating breakfast.

That's not a "berserker rage". That's a MOMENTARY SNAP -- and that's what happens in the scene above. A "berserker rage" might "turn on" just as quickly, but it would take time to "turn off". But, as noted, when Shooter decided on day that "homicidal maniac" was no longer acceptable (as he decided Wolverine had never killed anyone, ever, anywhere, no matter WHAT we'd seen), Chris started using "berserker rage" to cover what were essentially the same responses. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 May 2013 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 6  

There was nothing wrong with Wolverine circa 1975-1980 as a concept, or in the execution for that matter. It was the lack of restraint of creators after that (certainly by the late 80's) that screwed everything up. Marvel always had gruff loners and borderline anti-social "heroes" (Hulk and the Thing) so Wolverine was simply a logical progression. It went wrong when people started to given serious thought to the notions that "Maybe Wolverine is right?" not to mention the even worse notion of "Maybe MAGNETO is right?"

••

Probably the worst case of the fans drinking the Kool-Aid in X-MEN history was the transformation of Magneto into a "freedom fighter". Of course, this plays to the same kind of mentality that turns Wolverine into what he has become -- we're looking at a group who imagine themselves to be misunderstood outsiders, as a way of excusing their lack of social graces.

Roger Stern, in fact, used to say he felt that was the reason for the "cult status" of the X-Men in the first place. They were troubled outsiders, "feared an hated" by the world -- exactly what so many fans imagined themselves to be. (Hey, I felt it myself! I was a "troubled outsider" in my tweens. X-MEN spoke to me in ways FANTASTIC FOUR and THE AVENGERS didn't. Fortunately, I was healthy enough that I could still hear what those other books were saying!)

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2013 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

That section of panels from X-Men #96 is also interesting because Wolverine hasn't been scripted like that in decades. Even his voice has been changed over the years to be that of a gruff, mysterious man with no discernible accent.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2013 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 8  

Edited to add:

And I do believe there would have been no Deadpool with no Wolverine, first. Deadpool is basically Wolverine mixed with Spider-Man smart-aleck-ness and the Joker's dark sense of humor.

I have often said that Deadpool was basically a mix of Wolverine,Spider+Man,the Creeper,and Snake Eyes (from G.I. JOE).

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2013 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 9  

Think of Hugh Jackman! Guy would probably be tending bar in Melbourne...

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2013 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 10  

Huge Ackman? Well, he came from a background doing musicals like 'Oklahoma', so I expect it'd take something like a big-budget movie version of a famous musical to really do it for his career...

Jesse Perkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2013 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 11  

The Wolverine of the 80's is and has always been my favorite character.The writers started losing me when they gave him his own series and started explaining away all the mystery that made him so interesting. But I think comics were moving in a more violent direction anyway.

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2013 at 11:03pm | IP Logged | 12  

As I started to think about the ramifications  to comicdom of Wolverine being written out, I started thinking of where the X-Men would have even gone.

Would he have stayed in the Savage Land? Taken back by Alpha Flight in 120-121? Earlier? Maybe there is no Alpha Flight introduced? What does that do to the Dark Phoenix saga? And Days of Future Past? Maybe without the focus of Wolverine, JB gets frustrated earlier and leaves before the Dark Phoenix saga ends. How would that have affected it.

On the other hand, maybe JB doesn't get as frustrated and stays on another 3 years.... what does that do to the FF?

I don't know that Wolverine not being in the X-Men mix would necessarily affect books like Watchmen or Dark Knight. Miller was already doing his Daredevil work. It stands to reason that he wouldn't have been affected by that. Maybe Daredevil... or Punisher... Miller kind of brought him to that forefront in Spider-Man Annual 15 in '81... would have filled the "Wolverine role." 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version