Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: A World without Wolverine (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2013 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 1  

Matt Hawes wrote:
Whether or not the industry would be in a better or worse state had things been different, I can't really say. I do think things would be very different in some way, though.

I think that if Wolverine hadn't stepped up to the "darker hero" role, someone else would have before too much longer.  Maybe someone who wasn't created in the real world because there was no need.  I think the "kewl 90s" characters would have appeared as they did anyway, just with a different character serving as the vanguard.  It's just too logical of a development (albeit an unfortunate one) to not happen.

Back to Top profile | search

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2013 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 2  

I have to wonder if certain "kewl"  creators would have gotten into comics. Wolverine seem to be the character that piqued their interest as fans. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 May 2013 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 3  

Armando:  "First of all, thanks for saving Wolverine since he's one of my favorite characters (the original, not the immortal, unkillable one)..."

I second this - thank you for defining Wolverine the way you did, JB.  While unfortunate that the character has strayed, the character as established during your run on UNCANNY X-MEN was one of the reasons I liked the book so much.  He had a balance that we haven't seen in a long time.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2013 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 4  

JB wrote:
When Stan, Jack, Steve and the others created the "Marvel Age", they did so by defining a broad template -- "Here is the face of the future. This is what comics are going to be now!"

Wolverine defined a very NARROW template.

This obviously oversimplies the history quite a bit (esp. the late 30s Pulp influenced periods before characters settled down into their more family friendly versions), but here's where I see the overall trends:

40s - heroic people doing heroic things

60s (Stan/Jack) - superheroes are people, too.  They make mistakes, lose their girlfriends, don't always win, occasionally have trouble getting along, etc.

80s - taking "complexity" and bumping it up a notch.  As part of that, you have characters like Wolverine who use some fairly reprehensible means for noble ends.   

00s - going insular.  Random retcons, shock value twists, inconsistent characterization, overmilking franchises, poor coordination between series (even those featuring the same characters), etc.  But that has nothing to do with all the characters going grim or anything. 

Companies don't want to take risks on new stuff or come up with "creator-friendly" deals on new properties and creators don't want to give up their toys to the big companies, so everyone just plays with the same toys over and over again.  Meanwhile, companies ignore the fact that the market only tends to sustain 25-30 monthlies per company and instead pump out 75-100 new books a month. 

And all of that has nothing to do with Wolverine.  I'd be happier with the current Avengers line-up if he wasn't on it, but I don't the industry would be in a better place.  I think there would still be an over-reliance on old ideas to keep the market going no matter which ideas they were.

William T. Byrd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2013 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 5  

Wolverine was definitely my favorite character when I started reading comics... The way he didn't fit in with or seem comfortable with the rest of the team, the fact he was short and odd looking, his "crush" on Jean and rivalry with Cyclops, and the fact we were little by little learning things about his past (but not too much) keeping me and friends to speculate just what he had been through... (Our most discussed theory was the Wolverine had been around hundreds of years but that some trauma would happen causing him to start over with his mind a blank slate)

For me, I can't imagine another character coming close during my tween and teen years - except for Hawkeye,  but the comics he appeared in just didn't seem as entertaining or as well written.

But, once he was seen as a team leader and not a counter balance to Cyclops, and off on his own solo book and Marvel Comics Presents, the dynamic changed too much and much of the affection was gone..

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2013 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

"I remember the youthful "rebellious" kick I got out of telling adults that my favorite Superhero had a psychopathic tendency and would sometimes just go berserk."

======================

As a kid I enjoyed Wolverine in the same way. I think we were a part of a trend where violence in the general media was becoming increasingly marketed to kids, and us kids were responding in kind with our money. I'm not a supporter of censorship, but that has certainly contributed to the level of real violence among teens today.

If Wolverine never took off with the fans, perhaps the Punisher would filled that role instead. Or perhaps it would have opened the way for another new character to appeal to our misanthropic side. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 25 May 2013 at 7:29pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2013 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 7  

What I liked about Wolverine was that he was different in the time he first appeared. He's actually changed over the years, too. And I have not liked the changes.

When I first started reading "The Uncanny X-Men," right before the Dark Phoenix saga got started, Wolverine was a loner with berserker rages and a mysterious past he didn't seem to remember.

He had a healing factor, but that meant that if he was shot it might take him days to recover when the same wound would be fatal to a normal human. What made him a hero is his desire to do the right thing and fight his animalistic urges.

One reason he was with the X-Men was that he wanted Charles Xavier to help him control his rage. And while he had a thing for Jean back then, I never got the feeling Jean thought of Wolverine in a romantic way.

Everything began to change, I believe, with the first "Wolverine" mini-series.

Suddenly, Wolverine is cocky. I didn't see him as cocky before, just as a surly sort that didn't have patience for some people. But with the mini-series, all of a sudden he was "the best there is at what I do."

Before long, Wolverine became, somehow, leadership material (I couldn't imagine the pre-mini-series Wolverine leading any team, really). He supposedly was still a loner, yet he seemed to have met everyone and particularly if they were a member of the Marvel universe that had a military past. When Cable first showed up and there was mention that he had a military past, I wondered how long it would take for readers to learn that he knew Wolverine. Not very long, as Wolverine guest-starred in an issue of "New Mutants" during the period, and, yep, they knew one-another!

And all of a sudden Jean DID have some desire for Wolverine (I would imagine that a girl like Jean was originally portrayed would have found the notion of a romantic tryst with Wolverine as he was originally portrayed to be repellant)!

And Wolverine became Marvel's Superman in that he can't be killed. Far from simply being able to heal quickly or survive some wounds that would kill a normal man, now he can be cut in half and grow back together! I know people point to a scene in "Uncanny X-Men Annual" #11, where Wolverine regenerates from a single drop of blood, but people mistakenly overlook that his healing power had been augmented by a cosmic crystal, or whatever it was. BUT, his healing factor has gotten nearly that extreme!

And that mysterious past of his...? Even before "Origin," we knew so much about his past (most of it because he knew so many people in the Marvel Universe from years past) that I think I actually knew more about Wolverine's past before the X-Men than I knew of pretty much any other hero before they became superheroes!

So, it went from:

Short, temperamental, loner with a mysterious past and uncontrollable berserker rages that could heal faster than normal humans

To...

Sometimes short/sometimes tall (depending on the artist), cocky, self-assured, smug asshole who has a past with half the Marvel Universe, most of which we do know because it was shown, who doesn't seem to go into a rage as much as he is just a vicious person when in battle who kills without remorse and doesn't seem to care about quelling that tendency. And an atom bomb would probably just be an inconvenience to him that he would shake off with little problem. And all the babes want him!

Ugh!

As I note above, I liked the original version. I didn't want to be him, a psychotic, uncontrollable hairball, but I liked the dynamic he brought to the team. And I could respect him because he wanted to fight his killer urges and be a hero.

I don't like or respect anything about the stuck-up prick that now is known as Wolverine. I guess that version is so popular because some readers want to be that cocky prick that don't take crap and beats down anyone that opposes him while he macks on the ladies. They find him COOL, but he's not the Wolverine I like.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2013 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 8  

He's come a long way from a guy that turned up to fight The Hulk and Wendigo,

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2013 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 9  

Industry-wise, comics were still going direct-market and newstand sales were eventually going to freefall as all magazines have been doing. So, Wolverine or no, comic sales would still not be any healthier overall, I think.

As for the creative side of things, Wolverine was the kid on the playground everyone wanted to play with and be like. Had Wolverine not made killing your foes "okay," would Miller's Daredevil have still been as violent and bloodthirsty? Maybe, maybe not. But without a Wolverine mini-series behind him, would Miller have been as marketable and highly sought after by DC? Would he have been given the creative latitude to do Ronin, and then Dark Knight? Without Dark Knight, do edgy, creator-driven Industry-Darling concepts like Watchmen and Sandman come about? Do they just happen later?

If Wolverine isn't there to propel the X-Men onto the cover of every fan publication and eventually, the top of the sales charts, do Marvel's sales remain as strong in this new continuity? Do the X-Men usher in a new age of Mutant Sales Supremacy, or does the book simply hover just above cancellation? If the X-Men aren't king of the sales hill, is their influence over the rest of the Marvel Universe diminished? Do Mutant Rights and the associated Governmental entanglements become narrower non-issues? Who does rise to the top and do they rise as far? If the X-Men aren't on top, does DC still try to copy their success with the New Teen Titans?

What about the Boys of Image? Without Wolverine and the Marvel Killers as their guiding lights, who do they enter the industry to celebrate and mimic?

Without Wolverine, the sympathetic killer, do characters with similar ethics still rise to prominence? If Wolverine allowed heroes to kill, does Miller still get to do Spider-Man Annual #15 with the Punisher as a near-good-guy? Does the resulting Mike Zeck Punisher mini-series happen? Does anybody ever bring back Ghost Rider, the third leg of that gatling-gun-like tripod? What would the Nineties be like if the sales leaders aren't all machine-gun toting, ammo-sash wearing madmen killing for Christ and everything good and decent in this sad old world of ours'?

I'd be onboard with this if only to make Venom and Guy Gardner never-was...

Character-wise, Wolverine would still be a former X-Man. That would carry a certain cache in the Marvel Universe, regardless of whether he were currently on the team or not. The Defenders is where all lost, little X-Men eventually went to die under the pen of J.M. DeMatteis. Wolverine would have been directly up his alley as we saw with Manslaughter, Foolkiller*, and other warped, twisted killers DeMatteis has written. Not popular like Elektra or the Punisher. Just twisted sickos, ala' DeMatteis.

Had he gone this route, Wolverine himself would likely be a slavering, giggling happy-murder type, possibly with a mad-on for the team that threw him out.

He'd be young or at least young-ish. The aged, world-weary Wolverine who fought along Cap, Nick Fury, and the Black Widow (?) in World War II came later. There'd have been no ties to Japan or striving for Samurai-like calm and internal poetry. No Mariko. The claws were shown as part of his body prior to that phone call, and Cockrum had established his appearance under the mask, so he wouldn't be Len Wein's original 19-year old with the trick gloves. He'd be recognizable, yet comparatively inchaote. He could conceivably turn up somewhere as one of the High Evolutionary's New Men, given that hints were dropped in that direction.

He could set himself up as the leader of an evil mutant gang, I suppose, maybe kill another former X-Man (Bobby maybe...) and be hunted by the X-Men in a storyline without end... Or be just one more Marvel Solo Star turning up in serialized Marvel Comics Presents adventures like Rawhide Kid or Deathlok... I could see Chaykin getting his hands on him at some point.

* Not originally DeMatteis' creation, I know.

Edited by Brian Hague on 25 May 2013 at 7:58pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2013 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 10  

Interesting timing of your post, JB, as not only does the new Entertainment Weekly feature Hugh Jackman's Wolverine on the cover, but they also feature the following blurb in the same issue, under their article "The 25 Greatest Superheroes Ever":

#8 X-Men (Claremont and Byrne):

"Writer Chris Claremont and co-writer/artist John Byrne's beloved 1977-81 run with Marvel's mutant superteam showcased an ad hoc dysfunctional family whose occasional infighting was as dramatic as any high-stakes battle--and propelled Wolverine into the ranks of comicdom's surliest good guys."

Then, down at #16 is Wolverine (Hugh Jackman).  Eep!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 25 May 2013 at 8:04pm

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2013 at 10:45pm | IP Logged | 11  

And all of a sudden Jean DID have some desire for Wolverine (I would imagine that a girl like Jean was originally portrayed would have found the notion of a romantic tryst with Wolverine as he was originally portrayed to be repellant)!

I posted this almost a year ago in the "What Happened To Wolverine?" thread. I still stand by it.

If you look back at the "on model" Logan/Wolverine, it's insane to think that he'd be able to get ANY woman, let alone Jean!

I mean, let's "run his stats," shall we?

1) He's VERY short - 5'3"!

2) He has anger issues. And that's putting it mildly.

3) He smokes a cigar. Blecchhh. His breath probably stinks worse than his hair and clothing.

4) He has a hairy back (aside from sausage fingers, isn't that supposed to be a huge turn off with the ladies?).

He's really nothing more than a lean, mean, Danny DeVito! Go watch "Jack the Bear" if you need convincing.

The "Logan as a ladies' man" idea just doesn't work. At all.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 May 2013 at 4:47am | IP Logged | 12  

When I first started reading "The Uncanny X-Men," right before the Dark Phoenix saga got started, Wolverine was a loner with berserker rages and a mysterious past he didn't seem to remember.

••

You're transplanting a bit there, Matt. The "berserker rages" came after I left the book, as Chris' response to Shooter one day deciding Wolverine could not be a "homicidal maniac" any more. The forgotten memories also came after my time, when Wolverine didn't talk about his past because he didn't WANT to.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version