Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: A World without Wolverine (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2013 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 1  

Andrew Bitner wrote:
...that would be one funny two panel strip-- batman sees galactus, turns around and says "screw it, i never had a plan for stopping god." ...

Well, of course, Batman wins ANY battle. Batman cheats. That's was Mark Waid's reasoning for why Batman would beat the rest of the JLA*, after all, so it must be true.

*Good thing that the rest of the JLA have never fought any bad guys, or the kind of people who would, in fact, cheat.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 May 2013 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 2  

...Batman cheats...

•••

Sure. Because using your abilities most efficiently is "cheating".

Doesn't get much sadder, does it?

(And, no, Batman could not beat Galactus.)

Back to Top profile | search

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2013 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 3  

He doesn't keep a Bat-ultimate nullifier in his utility belt?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2013 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 4  

Maybe.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 5  

batman is able to "beat" his colleagues on the JLA because he has very intimate knowledge of their strengths, weaknesses, abilities and psychologies. it is not "off the cuff" strategizing that would let him get the upper hand on superman or wonder woman, by any means. it's also likely (and i'm sure he knows it) that any of his superpowered friends would take him out first, or try to, in order to prevent him from using what he knows.

my joke above aside, i'm guessing batman would do his best to figure out *some* chink in galactus' armor (so to speak) but would he have enough time? would he have the right weapon or the right people to carry out his plan? my guess is that batman would not have enough time to pull together the elements needed to beat galactus, if he was able to figure them out. he isn't reed richards-- he's a detective who fights weird criminals, sometimes in parthership with superpowered peers.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 6  

Who originated this "Batman can beat pretty much everyone" concept?

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 7  

fanboys

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 8  

my joke above aside, i'm guessing batman would do his best to figure out *some* chink in galactus' armor (so to speak) but would he have enough time? would he have the right weapon or the right people to carry out his plan? my guess is that batman would not have enough time to pull together the elements needed to beat galactus, if he was able to figure them out. he isn't reed richards-- he's a detective who fights weird criminals, sometimes in parthership with superpowered peers.

••

There is, of course, a very fannish attitude of "my favorite character can beat anybody", but, unfortunately, there are other forces at work.

One of the more unfortunate elements of modern comics is that some so-called professionals use characters as punching bags. Especially characters they did not create themselves, and did not like when they were fans. "So-and-So is a dumb character!" they will say, and proceed to write "So-and-So" AS a dumb character. (This can be especially bad with those fans-turned-pro who still think like fans, and who basically write for their "homies" out there in the fan audience. "Hey! You all hate this character! Look what I'm doing to him!' Pretty much what happened to Cyclops, right there.)

An aspect of this also comes in the form of writers using characters to show how "cool" and/or "tough" their characters are. This is how Darkseid came to be put thru the wringer a few times at DC. "Look how cool my character is! He beat Darkseid!"

All of these unprofessional indulgences serve only to diminish the characters who are subjected to them, often to the point that they are pretty much beyond redemption.

It's a crazy idea, I know, but my personal method of dealing with characters I don't like is ----- NOT USING THEM!! I mean, really! How tough is that?*

* Thing is, too, that there are very few characters who are completely hopeless. A little thought, a little care and attention, and the lamest characters can be shown to have SOMETHING going for them. Remember, She-Hulk was considered by most to be an utterly worthless character -- until Rascally Roger Stern took a turn with her!

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 9  

If modern comics had more of a sense of humor (Thanks, Wolverine!) we'd have gotten a Captain Ultra/Frogman mini (guest starring Irvin Forbush) by now.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 10  

If modern comics had more of a sense of humor (Thanks, Wolverine!) we'd have gotten a Captain Ultra/Frogman mini (guest starring Irvin Forbush) by now.

••

When I did BATMAN & CAPTAIN AMERICA, I commented that a part of me hoped it might inspire a "new direction" in comics -- FUN!

But even as I said it, I knew that, as "relevant" had become "grim and gritty", and "grim and gritty" had become "glum", it would not take long before "fun" degenerated into "silly".

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 11  

Batman couldn't beat Galactus, nor could he beat the rest of the JLA (maybe individually, 1:1...except for Superman).

The Batman scenarios remind me of Wolverine's healing power and how to got jacked up from being able to simply heal quickly to being able to regenerate nearly instantly from any injury.   Batman's intelligence somehow got jacked up from being a shrewd detective to being a greater genius than Reed Richards.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2013 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 12  

One of the more unfortunate elements of modern comics is that some so-called professionals use characters as punching bags. Especially characters they did not create themselves, and did not like when they were fans. "So-and-So is a dumb character!" they will say, and proceed to write "So-and-So" AS a dumb character.

"Hey! You all hate this character! Look what I'm doing to him!'

And to solidify that point, here is an exerpt from a review of Deadpool #10 -

"Deadpool doesn’t know Doc Ock is Spidey and starts making fun of him calling Doc Ock “Elton John on stilts”, while the Vulture is “Larry David bitten by a radioactive parakeet” and Batroc the Leaper, who recently made headlines by being included in the Captain America movie sequel, The Winter Soldier, doesn’t even warrant mentioning – he shows up “leaping” and spouting French-isms and is immediately taken out by Deadpool."

And even the reviewer takes his shots with his closing sentence -

"The comic gleefully mocks Spidey’s other rogues who show up to defend Gump – Chance, Paste Pot Pete/Trapster, Taskmaster, and Lady Stilt Man. The names alone are amazing."
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version