Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: The abusive father retcon (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2013 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 1  

"Wally West had the abusive father retconned into his backstory."

Indeed. Most of the stories I read about Wally's home life - NEW TEEN
TITANS Vol.1 #8's "A Day in the Life" in particular - depicted Wally's
folks as being pretty decent, loving and supportive parents. I don't
remember if it was Mike Baron or William Messner Loebs that
retconned Wally's dad into an asshole in the early issues of the Post-
Crisis FLASH series.

Re: Barry Allen's father - Is it a retcon if, in the story, it's established
that Eobard Thawne (Professor Zoom) went back in time, killed Barry's
mother and framed Barry's dad for the crime?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 3:17am | IP Logged | 2  

The Paul Dini/ Alex Ross origin of Batman does have a panel showing him with extensive scarring across his back, but that visual was taken from a scene in Alan Brennert and Joe Staton's Brave and the Bold #197 "The Autobiography of Bruce Wayne" and is intended to show the effects of a lifetime of hand-to-hand combat, explosions, death-traps, and pushing oneself to the extremes. It does not depict childhood abuse.

The idea has since turned up in other Batman tales as well.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 3:25am | IP Logged | 3  

Eric, I recall Mike Baron making the change in Wally's father in the first issue of the Post-Crisis Flash. The father was later revealed to have been a Manhunter.

Captain America recent MarvelNow #1 revealed that his dad was not only alcoholic, which we knew from O'Neil's second run on Iron Man, but also abusive, the point apparently being that Cap learned his concepts of bravery, sacrifice, and heroism from his mother.

The abusive father element of Bruce Banner's backstory was introduced in the Incredible Hulk #312. Of course, Mantlo is considered fair game for charges of plagarism after the "Hero" debacle in which he took a great many elements of Harlan Ellison's story "Soldier." Seriously, of all people, why take from the famously-litigious Ellison...? I cannot fathom it...

Edited by Brian Hague on 21 May 2013 at 3:34am

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 3:42am | IP Logged | 4  

Now that Wonder Woman's origin as a figure of clay given life by the gods is a thing of the past and she's just one more of the veritible pantheon of Zeus' bastard children, I wonder if the abuse heaped upon the amazons by the gods now puts her in the "abusive father retcon" category. If nothing else, it does visit the "emotionally distant father" trope upon her, as so many superheroines before her have had done to them before...

I wonder if Plastic Man, now a more gritty and realistic vision of a criminal and a father himself (a couple of times over, if I'm not mistaken), has had this abusive father concept trowelled into his past...

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 3:47am | IP Logged | 5  

William Messner-Loebs tried to redeem Rudolph West (a bit) by making him more of a chancer and a con man that always failed rather than right out evil which is what happened in Baron's run. He joined the Manhunters and arranged for Wally's mother to have a fatal accident whilst on a cruise. Charming.

Back to Top profile | search

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 5:22am | IP Logged | 6  

When Barry Allen returned as Flash, Geoff Johns suddenly had his mother as a murder victim. With his father as the perpetrator (albeit falsely).

I'm against the need to make EVERY hero the result of a tragedy or trauma they have to deal with. How bout someone actually using their powers for the greater good because they CAN? Like used to be the norm.

Batman's parents were murdered. Spider-Man had some hard lessons before realising that with great power comes great responsibility. But they were always there as part of the characters' origin.

Retconning these things into a character's background often become ham-fisted. And unnecessary.

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 7  

Gregory Friedman: "CAPTAIN AMERICA: I think I heard through the grapevine that in the latest relaunch Cap's father was a drunk Irishmen who would beat the wife now and again." Yes, that theme has been in the new Marvel NOW relaunch.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 8  

I always loved the characterization of Wally in Wolfman/ Perez Titans and have been disappointed with successive dumbing down of Wally that occurred. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 9  

Now that I think about it, didn't they turn Kyle Rayner's dad into a super-villain, too, of all things?

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

the effects of a lifetime of hand-to-hand combat, explosions, death-traps, and pushing oneself to the extremes. It does not depict childhood abuse.
----------------------------
There was, however, a Batman origin retelling, I think it may have been in one of the zero issues after Zero Hour, in which Thomas Wayne hauled off and smacked Bruce, and little Bruce ran off to his room screaming 'I wish you were dead!' Then Thomas came up to the room later and offered to take him to see a Zorro movie to make it up to him...rest of origin unfolds.

Yeah, DC published that. Not enough to try to protect the people of Gotham from the evil that befell his parents, no he needs to be driven mad by guilt that he was responsible for his parents' death.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 11  

@Steven: IIRC, Kyle Rayner has a normal albeit absentee deadbeat
dad. If he ever became a super villain, I missed it.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 4:25am | IP Logged | 12  

In "The Man Who Falls", Denny O'Neil depicted Thomas Wayne as being angry / concerned when young Bruce fell in to the Batcave. It came across more as parental concern, and the fact he had done something he was told not to.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version