Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: "My First Rifle" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 1  

If the idea of owning guns is for PROTECTION, the very concept of an ASSAULT rifle is wrong by definition.

"Assault" is something against which one protects oneself, not something that one uses AS protection. Assault is the aggressive act, not the protective one. Assault STARTS the fight.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 2  

Before I recuse myself from this thread (before my head explodes), I just want to state:

I've used guns responsibly for 37 years. No deaths have resultetd, but plenty of paper targets, phone books, and beer cans were destroyed. THIS IS BECAUSE I WAS TAUGHT TO RESPECT THE GUN, FEAR THE CONSEQUENCES OF ITS MISUSE, AND HANDLE IT WITH THE UTMOST CARE.

Jodi: Yes the children in Newtown were killed by guns... in the hands of a nutjob who had no business owning them and who did not handle them in the manner a responsible gun owner would. Had he driven a car through a playground, what would be the next step? I don't believe we should be using the actions of the deranged as a yardstick for the general poppulace.

JB: I agree that one child's death is too many. But I simply disagree that banning all guns is the answer. However, I DO agree that nobody outside of the authorities and military should have an assault weapon.

That being said, I simply choose to disagree your viewpoints; however, I understand where you're coming from and respect your opinions. Thank you.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 3  

And today I read a news report about a three-year-old in Arizona who's dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.  Yet another state that's convinced we have too many restrictions on gun ownership already.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 4  

MICHAEL: I agree that one child's death is too many. But I simply disagree that banning all guns is the answer. However, I DO agree that nobody outside of the authorities and military should have an assault weapon.

SER: The NRA raises a lot of money claiming otherwise but the banning of guns in the United States has never been on the table by any high-ranking elected official. The GOP's platform has explicitly proposed banning abortion and overturning Roe v. Wade, and GOP candidates have said as much during presidential debates. Nothing similar regarding guns have come from the left.

I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt to the responsible gun owners who agree with you that "nobody outside of the authorities and military" should have an assault weapon. But I only see evidence of their silence when it comes to battling the gun lobby. Frankly, the "responsible gun owners" have a greater responsibility to take on those who support irresponsible gun use.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

MICHAEL: I've used guns responsibly for 37 years. No deaths have resultetd, but plenty of paper targets, phone books, and beer cans were destroyed. THIS IS BECAUSE I WAS TAUGHT TO RESPECT THE GUN, FEAR THE CONSEQUENCES OF ITS MISUSE, AND HANDLE IT WITH THE UTMOST CARE.

SER: What's the point of target practice if not for the eventual use of the gun as it was intended? If that's not the case, if your sole desire for owning a gun is to destroy beer cans, then your source of recreation carries a great deal of risk, not just to yourself but to others.

It's like my driving a tank to work.

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 6  

JB: "If the idea of owning guns is for PROTECTION, the very concept of an ASSAULT rifle is wrong by definition.

"Assault" is something against which one protects oneself, not something that one uses AS protection. Assault is the aggressive act, not the protective one. Assault STARTS the fight."

JB, there you go using logic. You know the gun nuts will NEVER go for any kind of logic or sense!

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 7  

Stephen: For me, target practice is a "zen" thing, being able to hit a small target from a great distance. Some people challenge their powers of concentration with golf or billiards, I choose that (sometimes). And in over three decades, no harm has befallen anyone; the conditions are VERY controlled.

Edited by Michael Hogan on 06 May 2013 at 2:09pm

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 8  

Will some responsible gun owner on this forum please answer this question, In the post up thread I posted the following:

On December 14, 2012, Adam Lanza, 20, fatally shot twenty children and six adult staff members.
December 14, 2012, Twenty-two children were hurt by a knife-wielding man at a primary school in central China.

Min Yingjun, 36, stabbed an elderly woman before bursting into Chenpeng Village Primary School in the Henan province yesterday.

No deaths with the knife attack.

Please tell me why there were different outcomes, in an almost identical situation? 

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 06 May 2013 at 5:02pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 9  

Shall we start placing bets as to how long before this thread needs to be retitled:  "My First 3-D-Printed Gun?"

Faith in humanity... rapidly dwindling...

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 10  

From the CNN article :

"Wilson acknowledged in a recent interview with Forbes that his creation could be used by criminals, but suggested that demonstrating the freedom to create them is more important than trying to stop that from happening.

"I recognize that this tool might be used to harm people. That's what it is: It's a gun," he said. "But I don't think that's a reason to not put it out there. I think that liberty in the end is a better interest."

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 11  

Whereas the life, liberty, and happiness of everyone around the person with the gun doesn't matter a good goddamn. So long as Mr. Gun Owner feels powerful and safe everyone else is expendable. 

Stuart Vandal
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 12  

In an interview the BBC played, Wilson also noted that some countries tell people they can't own a firearm. Now they can. (paraphrasing, but as near his exact quote as I can recall). Which to me reads as him effectively admitting he is putting this online in part so people can circumvent local gun laws in countries outside the USA. How does that differ really from someone who illegally smuggles guns into such countries? I doubt he can be prosecuted for weapons traffiking, sadly, but after hearing him say that I feel he deserves to be. He's knowingly supplying weapons across international borders to people with the deliberate intent of evading local laws against people owning such weapons.

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version