Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: "My First Rifle" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 4:07am | IP Logged | 1  

The scenario you give, did happen on the same day as the Newtown shooting.

On December 14, 2012, Adam Lanza, 20, fatally shot twenty children and six adult staff members.

December 14, 2012, Twenty-two children were hurt by a knife-wielding man at a primary school in central China.

Min Yingjun, 36, stabbed an elderly woman before bursting into Chenpeng Village Primary School in the Henan province yesterday.

No deaths with the knife attack.

What makes me so mad, is those that consider themselves Christians and support guns, ignore the fact that it is possible that their God was sending them a message that day. I mean they are always saying God gives them signs. How much bigger sign do you need????? 

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 06 May 2013 at 4:11am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 6:03am | IP Logged | 2  

Soon anyone will be able to make their own gun: LINK

A scary prospect.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 3  

The promotion of 3D printing used to manufacture firearms is such an idiotic idea. Given the existing widespread availability of guns, who would need to make their own guns, which is a much more expensive process? The only people who will find this of use are criminals. Now "sleeper cells" or lone-wolf terrorists have access to any kind of firearm they want. Just download and press "print". 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 06 May 2013 at 6:36am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 4  

The notion that guns can be used "responsibly" overlooks -- deliberately I'm sure -- the very NATURE of guns. It seems to strive to cast a magical spell over these lethal weapons, as if invoking the word "responsible" will somehow prevent all potential accidents, not to mention deliberately irresponsible use.

How many children are injured or killed each year, because they play with guns? How many parents of those children claim bewilderment over how such a thing could have happened, since they always treat their guns responsibly? (Waiting now to hear the gun advocates in the Forum tell us how any accident is, by definition, proof of irresponsible use -- and thus prove my point!)

How many people are hurt or killed by their own guns, when intruders take them? "Hey! You can't shoot me with my own gun! I cast a spell of responsibility on it!" Somehow that just never seems to work.

Bottom line, addressed to all gun owners and advocates: how small is the value of a human life? How many are you willing to trade so you can keep your guns? Is there some number we can look for? Will there ever be TOO MANY dead children for you? Ever?

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 5  

So most rural West Virginians embrace the govt., liberals and black people?

No Jodi. I guess we're all racist, ignorant hillbillies but please remember that Joe Manchin is one of the authors of the failed gun bill. Not everyone's life revolves around their political beliefs. Sorry that I stuck my head into a conversation where I'm not welcome.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 06 May 2013 at 8:18am

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 6  

Using a gun for hunting is still using a gun to take a life, just not a HUMAN life.  Killing an animal is still killing. The function of the gun remains the same. 

We just value the lives of animals less than our own. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 7  

Sorry that I stuck my head into a conversation where I'm not welcome.

••

Hairshirts are in aisle 4.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 8  

Hairshirts are in aisle 4.

I apologize for that. I just took the West Virginia jab a little too personal for a moment. I try to avoid being combative, it won't happen again.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 9  

Shawn the whole point of the question was not directed at you, but I do have family from West Virginia and she has said that is why she left the state, because of the very things I mentioned. That is why I asked the question. Sorry I offended you.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 10  

I should be the one to apologize to you. My snarky response was an overreaction. I'm sorry, Jodi.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 11  

Shawn I sometimes don't post my questions in the best way, when I am posting about issues that really piss me off, I come across crappy sometimes. From all that you post on here I just didn't see you in my question. I am from Indiana and I feel the question I asked, could apply to Indiana. I didn't mean to make it an attack.

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 06 May 2013 at 11:48am

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2013 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 12  

BRAD: If you've used a gun properly and you haven't killed someone, you've used a shotgun to hunt ducks, or a rifle to hunt deer, and that's pretty much it. If you own anything you don't hunt with, and you haven't used that gun to kill someone, then technically you have NOT used it properly. Period.

SER: Exactly. If you're "target practicing" with a Glock, your end goal is to become proficient enough to kill someone at the proper time. You'll notice that whenever the "I just like target practicing" argument is raised and then countered with, "OK, then we'll restrict assault weapons to secure target practice facilities," the true intent -- to own the weapon for "defense" -- quickly appears.

Jodi sums it up best by pointing to how "f*ed" up as a society we are when we can't pass one sensible gun law that might keep guns from lunatics after two mass shootings with assault weapons in one calendar year (2012). That is insane upon any examination.

NRA says no to banning assault weapons.

NRA then says no to background checks.

NRA says no to *any* possible restriction. The NRA compares gun deaths to car deaths but will do everything in its power to prevent guns from being as sensibly regulated as cars.

It is illegal to drive without a license, which must be renewed every four years and requires a written and physical test. You must also have car insurance. You can also permanently lose your license -- something the idiots who let their guns fall in the hands of children never face.

If cars were as poorly regulated as guns, there would be far more automobile-related deaths per year -- without question.

And 5 years old handling a rifle is as insane as a child the same age operating a vehicle. This would be a crime. Even if a fairly tall 10-year-old could responsibly drive a car and it would be a benefit to his family, he still legally couldn't do so.

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version