Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: "My First Rifle" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 1  

The NRA and unfortunately many individual guns-rights advocates keep moving the goal posts whenever the subject of reasonable gun legislation comes up.

First, they talk about people in rural areas whose survival depends on hunting. Gun safety advocates say, "Fine, no one will take away shotguns or rifles, but let's do something about weapons whose sole purpose is to kill human beings... often a lot of human beings quickly(handguns and military-grade weapons aren't that useful for hunting)."

Then the argument becomes one about protecting your home from intruders. Gun safety advocates say, "Fine, even though many of you making this argument live in a gated suburban community with a minimal crime rate and the presence of a gun in your home is likely to increase the risk of accidental death, we won't question this apparent fear and paranoia, but surely we can agree that you don't need military weaponry to defend your home from a burglar."

Ahhh... but the burglar might have military weaponry. And the poor frightened suburban mom will need to use an assault rifle to defend herself (let's ignore that if she's this frightened, the situation will not end well for her, gun or no).

OK, gun safety advocates say, "Fine, you can have your own assault rifles but surely we can institute rigid background checks to ensure that felons and mentally unstable people can't get these weapons."

Then the argument becomes one about needing weapons to protect against a tyrannical government. Those checks either won't stop criminals so why bother -- fortunately, that's not an attitude the TSA takes -- or will be used by that tyrannical government to find all gun owners.

The worst thing I've seen recently is right-wing gun rights advocates talking about how Native Americans could have defended themselves better from the United States if they'd had guns. Yes, these people are so intellectually dishonest that -- while often having a Confederate flag on their Web site -- they try to claim with a straight face that it would be awesome if the current United States looked *a lot different* due to Native Americans being fully armed.

And while we perform all these mental gymnastics, more kids die.

Children with rifle is an artifact from an earlier time, preserved completely out of context with the modern era. How about no school for children so they can rustle cattle? How about letting children drink and smoke at 10? If we can concede that that's absurd, why are we still discussing arming children?
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 2  

Then the argument becomes one about needing weapons to protect against a tyrannical government.

••

And, as I have noted countless times before, anyone taking that stance immediately LOSES the protection afforded by the Second Amendment.

Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 3  

SER: Then the argument becomes one about needing weapons to protect against a tyrannical government.

��

JB: And, as I have noted countless times before, anyone taking that stance immediately LOSES the protection afforded by the Second Amendment.

SER: Yeah, you become a terrorist or enemy combatant. The Civil War itself is evidence that the U.S. government does not recognize the right of citizens to engage in armed revolt. It's also evidence that an armed revolt would never result in victory -- the advances in technology now would make a similar uprising last about 8 minutes.

It continues to astound me that the same right-wingers who talk about "armed resistance" oppose all the terrorism laws since 2001 that would quickly result in their arrest and conviction. Perhaps they arrogantly believe they only apply to Muslims. Oh well.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 4  

It continues to astound me that the same right-wingers who talk about "armed resistance" oppose all the terrorism laws since 2001 that would quickly result in their arrest and conviction. Perhaps they arrogantly believe they only apply to Muslims. Oh well.

••

Well, as Jon Stewart observed on THE DAILY SHOW last week, if the Muslims form a well regulated militia, we a done for!

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 5  

Ted Nugent will look at this story, bitch about evironmentalists and war protesters, then lecture all of us on the dangers of alcohol.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 6  

Gun owners always get mad at me when I say that I don't fully trust gun owners, that there are too many guns out there, and that it only takes one bad day for a lifelong law-abiding gun owner to become a criminal, and I get accused of being overly judgmental.  When I ask them why they need high-powered assault rifles, the answer is invariably about the number of gun owners out there that they feel the need to protect themselves from.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 7  

Ted Nugent will look at this story, bitch about evironmentalists and war protesters, then lecture all of us on the dangers of alcohol.

Don't forget convince a teenage girl's parents to let you become her legal guardian so she can live and have sex with you.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 8  

Hey, I just realized you can spell "gun" and "nut" from "Nugnet" !

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2013 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 9  

A thoughtful, well-written post above, Aaron, but I'm curious... is hunting the ONLY way to eat in Idaho?

How else would you get meat without buying it in a store? These are peole that live poor. Changing their situation is very similar to changing the situation of someone growing up in the ghetto. It takes money to change ones situation as far as where you live and what you do to make the money you have now. However, if you live on $15,000 a year gross or less, you have no money. There just aren't a lot of economic opportunities for them. These are people that grow gardens and can that food in the fall, but it isn't enough to make it through the winter. Many of these logging towns that I spoke of are inaccessable in the winter months by anything other than a helicopter. People have learned to stock up, can, and hunt in order to make through the winter. Some of them are in positions where they have enough space to raise some chickens, but that is the extent of their livestock. Yes, a frontier way of life may be dead back east. However, it is very alive and well in places like Idaho because that is how people survive. I am not talking about people that have five or six children they are feeding either. They are like most people, two children and they live in a trailer house, or a house that was built in 1920 on a postage stamp of a lot. They don't own the home either, they rent it. They are also decent people as well. Do they not have a right to exist as long as they do no harm to other people? I'm not trying to defend Nazi's like Ted Nugent here either, or the radical views of the NRA. Here is something to think about, I know it is a dilema that I have often inside myself. I served my country, and I was in the Special Forces, so stop and think about some of the things I have had to do. During this time of mud, blood, and terrible things happening, the word back home was that I was defending our way of life. I know that is not really why I was there doing the things I did, but that is the reason they were spinning back here. Lets entertain the idea that I was actually defending our way of life, which there were times that it was actually that. That means I was defending your, yes you, way of living. Your right to live where you live, live the way you do, cast your opinions on forums like this, believe in religions that I do not, everything that you are and do. If that is true, then I also defended the right of that guy who lives in Stanley Idaho to live his life the way he does, which includes him hunting to feed his family because he really doesn't have any other choice. Also consider this in your thoughts on this. Idaho's entire population is just a tad over a million people, in a state that is much larger than many states back east. There are massive open areas in this state. I am trying to figure out where I stand on this whole firearms issue. I agree that there are some very stupid firearms owners out there, being very stupid with firearms. However, there are people out there who own firearms and are very responsible with them.    

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 May 2013 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 10  

… there are people out there who own firearms and are very responsible with them.    

••

And thousands of murdered children is a fair price to pay for that!! HURRAH!!

Bob Freeman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2013 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 11  

Terrible tragedy. My heart goes out to the family who have not only lost a daughter, but now must deal with an emotionally wounded son and their own grief and guilt.

The parents were irresponsible and negligent. They will pay for this for the rest of their lives.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2013 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 12  

It takes money to change ones situation as far as where you live and what you do to make the money you have now.

Is the price of buying and storing meat for the winter higher than the price of guns and the ammunition they need?

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version