Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: "My First Rifle" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 7:02am | IP Logged | 1  

Kinder eggs are banned in the US because of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act of 1938 that forbids putting non-edible things inside food.

As for the original topic, I don't understand how anybody could think it's a good idea to give a gun to a kid.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 2  

"Here's your gun, junior... enjoy!

But stop running with scissors or you'll hurt yourself!!!"

Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 3  

At the risk of thread drift - how do you sell ice lollies etc if you can't put non-edible things in food?

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 4  

I guess people like me are the exception in these cases. At age 6 I was given a Benjiman .177 cal BB pellet rifle for Christmas from me step father. Now, at the time we were living in Okinawa on a military base. I was never allowed to keep the rifle in my room, it was always locked in the gun safe. I did not know the combination to the safe either. There were times when my step father would take me to the rifle ranges on post and teach me how to shoot, and care for the rifle properly. I was always told that the rifle was a weapon, and the rules that go along with a weapon. The weapon is to be considered loaded at all times, whether it actually is or not. You never point a weapon at a person. When you pull the trigger it is with the intent to kill the target. We only kill for food and self defense. Granted, as a child everytime I had a firearm in my hands, I was around a bunch of Green Berets and Navy Seals. I guess that builds responsibility with a firearm. As I got older I was bought other firearms, and was allowed to shoot military weapondry when I was taken to the range on base. I knew the saying " No brass, no ammo sir. " at age six. I agree the recent incidents were children have been harmed or killed from irresponsibility with firearms is horrible. I don't agree with armed guards in school either. I guess I just don't know the answer to this one. I know more people than I could ever count that are responsible firearm owners, are teaching or have taught their children to be responsible with firearms. There has been any instances of harm being done with a firearm with any of those people or their children. Maybe it's the difference in living in a place like Idaho, vs living in a place that is very urban. Idaho is very rual, and is mostly agricultrual and logging for employers. Many people have jobs in either of those two industries here. All of them have to hunt in the late fall and winter in order to have enough food to feed their families over the year. This is also the time of the year that those two industries lay off their work force for the winter season. I don't want to see anymore children killed by nut jobs and irresponsibility with firearms. However, I also don't want to see children starve in places like Idaho either.  

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 5  

Americans tend to take for granted just how *safe* they are on the whole. There are some countries that are war torn and rife with violence, places where there's a good chance a child going to school could die. So, yes, you might have to train a 5 year old to carry a weapon to protect himself, but this loss of innocence is completely unnecessary in the states, where we've long left even frontier days behind us. Yet we still behave as if a potential threat is right around the corner... and it is, it's just ourselves.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Stephens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 6  

I agree with much of what Aaron said.  I have a 2yo so upon reading about this terrible story I immediately thought about what my life would be like without my son.  I go around town and see some of the really stupid and ignorant things that a few parents do with/to their kids.  Do we send parents to jail when their child dies in a car accident and they weren't wearing a seatbelt?  No.  Will these parents face charges?  Nope.  Should they?  Probably.
The real problem isn't guns, but the fact that some people are just stupid.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 7  

I don't want to see anymore children killed by nut jobs and irresponsibility with firearms. However, I also don't want to see children starve in places like Idaho either.

••

I hope you are not suggesting there is really a connection between those things, here in the 21st Century, that it is an either/or situation.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 8  

••

Including people who make statements like that.

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 9  

I hope you are not suggesting there is really a connection between those things, here in the 21st Century, that it is an either/or situation.

No, I am not suggesting that there is a connection between those things. Just debating the two sides of this within myself. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 10  

A thoughtful, well-written post above, Aaron, but I'm curious... is hunting the ONLY way to eat in Idaho?

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 11  

I thought Idaho was where potatoes came from, and now I'm thinking I had no idea that potatoes need to be hunted. Suddenly I'm scared to go into my kitchen...

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 12  

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------

But stupid people with guns tend to make more damages than stupid people with no guns, so why give stupid people guns and vote against laws that would prevent some of those stupid people from acquiring guns?
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version