Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: "My First Rifle" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2013 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 1  

Here in the city I live, there was a 5th year Architect student who was in his last semester of school. Great kid.To help pay for school, he delivered pizza for the local Domino's. One night he went to deliver his last pizza for the night and on the way to the door a kid came out of the bushes and asked him for all his money. He didn't carry much, company rule. The robber got upset and shot him. He died instantly.

Now a few hours before this, the kid that robbed him had been in another town close to Muncie, he and his friends robbed a house of someone they knew, they thought that person had Oxycontin because the owner had surgery recently. It did, but it also a handgun in the nightstand. The owner stated he had it there for protection.

The robber who was young thought it was "cool" so he took it. He stated he had never had a gun before and was not looking for one. But he said he took it "because it was there". The robber saw the pizza guy and thought he would be able to get some money to buy more drugs. He was pissed the pizza guy didn't have more on him, he said he really didn't intend to shoot him, he said in trial "the gun just went off".

The owner of the gun learned about what happened and was devastated and said to local newspaper, he wished he could go back and not have the gun. The legal gun owner sounded like a decent guy and most likely will forever be haunted by the knowledge he played a part in the killing of this promising young man. He actually apologized to the young man's parents at trial. As he should have.

If you own a gun, I believe your insurance should be so high, it would make the average person think twice before they get one. Guns are killing our children in huge numbers and paranoid gun owning idiots are contributing to this sad fact.

I am curious how many dead babies is it going to take, before we as a country, stop this madness. I really did think Newtown was enough, but I was wrong.

And I believe every gun that was used in most mass shootings were bought by law abiding citizens. So keeping guns out of law abiding citizens hands, does make sense to me.

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 11 May 2013 at 9:55am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2013 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 2  

I say that if I have to get a DRIVERS LICENSE and also pay for CAR INSURANCE to legally operate my car on the open roads, then gun owners should also have to pay for gun owners insurance to legally own a gun.

If nothing else, it would pay for all the funerals of the murders...
Back to Top profile | search

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2013 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 3  

Gun owner insurance is a great idea.  Especially with mandatory safety certification.  After all, the 2nd amendment does specify "well regulated militia."  The NRA argues around militia but it's a bit difficult to argue for un-regulated gun ownership when you read the actual language.

But compelling insurance companies to carry that liability will be a difficult sell.

Edited by Craig Robinson on 11 May 2013 at 12:02pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 May 2013 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 4  

I like the idea of gun owner insurance. Especially if the money goes to victims of gun violence, whether they are the payers of the policy or not!

And let's hike the premiums every time there's a murder, mass or otherwise.

The Constitution guarantees the right to bear arms. Doesn't say anything about that right being CHEAP!

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2013 at 12:49am | IP Logged | 5  

Sadly, another child pays for adults stupidity.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2013 at 1:49am | IP Logged | 6  

Guns should have a child-proof self-locking mechanism. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 May 2013 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 7  

Guns should have a child-proof self-locking mechanism.

••

Given the number of people who cannot work the child-proof cap on a bottle of Aspirin, I can't see that ever going thru!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 May 2013 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 8  

All these ridiculous justifications of gun ownership invariably cause me to imagine someone going on a shooting rampage at a gun show. How many of the "more guns = greater safety" fantasies would fall before that kind of event?

"There were 10,000 guns in the room, but the shooter managed to kill 57 people before he was killed himself."

Not that the microbrains in the NRA would not be quick to find ways to fantasize their way around that!

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2013 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 9  

The funny thing is, for self defence purposes in virtually any scenario, I would so much rather have a non-lethal weapon that I could use without a second's hesitation - like a taser - than one as extreme as a firearm.

It reminds me of when I was a kid learning Karate. Our teacher kept teaching us this killing strike and that crippling blow. But we couldn't use any of it in 99% of the scenarios we found ourselves in as typical high school kids. I switched to Judo, and found it less glamorous, but much more useful, as it primarily focuses on grappling and throwing - but not killing - the opponent.

By the way, towards the end of high school, one kid decided he'd put his karate lessons into practice. He kicked a classmate in the throat during a schoolyard fight, and killed him. As an added twist, the slain teen's father was a policeman, and when he showed up on the scene, the other cops had to restrain him and take his gun from him. Even a fully trained law enforcement officer can use misuse his weapon in a fit of anger.

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2013 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 10  

the NRA would not be quick

It'd be much like the response from religious folks after 9-11: "Praise God only 3,000 innocent people were killed! In an atheist universe, it would have been a lot more!"

I don't think Reagan's views on guns changed one bit after his encounter with the 2nd Amendment.

Edited by DW Zomberg on 12 May 2013 at 7:52am

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2013 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 11  

Something rarely discussed in these conversations: accuracy of gun defence.  Multiple studies show that trained, experienced police officers hit what they are aiming at in police action shootings only one in three times.

If my local patrolman only has a 33% chance of shooting a bad guy, I sure as shit would rather not have one of my neighbors with no training juiced on adrenaline pumping even more bullets into the crowd in a crisis situation.

Edited by Craig Robinson on 12 May 2013 at 8:56am

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 12  

Something rarely discussed in these conversations: accuracy of gun defence.  Multiple studies show that trained, experienced police officers hit what they are aiming at in police action shootings only one in three times.

----

Remember when that guy Diallo was shot by the four NY police officers? Something like 40 shots fired, and Diallo was only (what a horrible way to think of it...) hit by about 20. I can't recall the exact numbers, I just remember that he was hit by slightly less than half the total shots fired. I recall thinking at the time, the neighbourhood they were in is lucky one or more of those other 20+ shots didn't hit someone else!

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version