Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: OT: The decade of your childhood (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 1  

I was born in '76.  My memories of those final years of the 70s is dim, and I don't really trust them. (Are they real memories, or recreated from looking at photos/other people's recollections?)  So the 80s was the decade of my childhood, and many of my preferences are determined by those years.

For me, comic books begin and end with the 80s.  I continued reading until the early 2000s but it was mostly a hollow experience.  Comics from before the late 70s can be enjoyable, but always feel somewhat foreign to me. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 2  

I was born on Christmas Eve of 1968 - a historical year that I, of course, have no memories.  But I have strong memories of the 1970's, and I am grateful for growing up at a vibrant time for movies, newspaper comics, and comic books.  I'm also a sucker for 1970's TV.  While pop culture is happening, I am in school learning the classic literature in English class and starting to see books as a refuge.

I'm grateful to grow up in a time with limited cable TV and technology.  I would have been hooked on the current technology and likely would not be a reader.

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 3  

I was born on Christmas Eve of 1968
---------------------------------------------
That (the day when Jim Lovell, Frank Borman and Bill Anders were the first humans to orbit the moon), along with Stephen's comment about being six months old for the moon landing, got me thinking about the decade of my childhood and NASA's space activities.

When I was 7 Columbia made its first space flight, which was a big deal -- but it pales in  comparison, naturally, to the moon adventures. And then when I was 10 there was the tragedy of the Challenger disaster.

Kinda sad that kids right now will potentially grow up with no memories of Nasa doing anything with manned missions. Some interesting stuff with probes to Mars, I suppose.

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 4  

Kinda sad that kids right now will potentially grow up with no memories of Nasa doing anything with manned missions. Some interesting stuff with probes to Mars, I suppose.
---
Maybe not NASA, but hang in there for ten more years and you'll get to see this:

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 5  

I was born in 1974, which seems perfect for experiencing the '80s. I was 9 when the last episode of M*A*S*H aired. I remember hearing 1999, THRILLER, and LIKE A VIRGIN on the radio. I was 12 when the Challenger exploded. I was 13 and just starting to actively move from ARCHIE to superhero comics when JB started on SUPERMAN. And so on.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Gregory Friedman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

Robert, you could have pulled your post of MY  mind.  I know exactly what you mean.

Co-sign that.  I am a baby of 1980 and I totally get what you're saying.  I think it's a combination of three things:

1)  Ingrained childhood perception, as you mentioned.

2)  Different camera/filming techniques and technology.  I think movies of the 70s/80s benefited from lack of HD.  There was a certain untouchable aura about them that made them bigger than life.  Also, this is a result of a different school of cinematography.

3)  The stufff from 70s and 80s WAS bigger.  That is to say, BETTER.

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 7  

Born in 1966, but enraptured with the space program from a very early age.  I clearly recall the moon landing, Apollo 12 getting struck by lightning on launch, and the problems with Apollo 13.  But I didn't discover SF until I found U.F.O. in 1972 (I think?) and somehow survived on repeats of Star Trek and the incredibly cheesy TV SF of the mid-70s.

One advantage of the modern day is having most of the shows available on demand, and proving to my children that the television shows of my youth weren't some fever dream.....
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jesse Perkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2013 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 8  

'73 - Going to see Star Wars at the drive-in, sitting on top of the family station wagon with my older cousin, is my first pop culture memory - probably a year or longer after it was originally released. A few years later my first comic was X-men 167 (not including the Spidey strip in the newspaper, which I used to cut out and save), borrowed from a friend...and I was hooked for the next 7-8 years. In the late 80's/early 90's I started losing interest in my favorite books, like those awful Australian X-men.

I still love Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Superhero movies, and have recently started reading comics again. Just started JB's original Next Men (which I must have just barely missed when it first came out) and loving it.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2013 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 9  

Born in 1967. Thinking back, I can't really recall much in pop culture that resonates now. I remember writing a letter to CBC complaining that they had canceled "Gilligan's Island" (I also included a picture of the "Minnow" I had drawn) and remember receiving a nice letter apologizing for cancelling the program. I remember being a huge fan of ABBA (my first concert) and the "Donny and Marie Show", as well as the Hardy Boys books and TV program. I went to see Star Wars in 1977 but remember nothing about it. According to my Dad, I was too dazed afterwards to remember anything. One of my students here in China calls herself "Skywalker" and she became my number 1 student immediately. 

Matt's comment about technology changes resonates however. Back in 1980 I had my first electric guitar. For an amplifier, I had a used $10 Realistic 8-track stereo as an amplifier. I used to plug in the guitar to the aux input ans as you can probably magine, the sound was frightful. Decades later, as a school teacher, some of my students when I was in Northern Alberta invited me to a practice of their Death Metal band. I walked into their warehouse rental unit and saw Marshall Stacks, rack-mounted effects, and mixing boards. These were 17 year old kids from a small farming town. 

Some of you might have seen this picture. What you carry in your pocket now compared to 1980's technology. 

Terry Thielen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2013 at 9:40pm | IP Logged | 10  

ok well, I was born in 1982. I remember the latter parts of the 80s (to some extent) but I'm essentially a 90s kid. I have a fondness for 90s crap, but mostly the very early 90s. But, I was the youngest of 4 kids. They were all born in the 60s and 70s, so I had a lot of hand-me-downs and items that I wouldn't have normally had. My dad was born in 1938, so I was exposed to a good many things from a broad spectrum of years. Essentially, I'm an anomaly among my own age group because of it. It's probably why I can look around this forum and understand what everyone is talking about (for the most part). 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 3:09am | IP Logged | 11  

Somewhere at the back of that photo is a stack of about 500 CDs (or LPs).

It really is frightening what you can get out of one device nowadays.

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 12  

ok well, I was born in 1982. I remember the latter parts of the 80s (to some extent) but I'm essentially a 90s kid. I have a fondness for 90s crap, but mostly the very early 90s.

I'm the same. Born in '81. The only things I remember from the 80s were the movies and they were probably re-runs. Big things I remember from my childhood were the fall of the Berlin wall, Yugoslavia falling apart, Nelson Mandela and the fall of the Communist Regime in Romania.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version