Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: OT: The decade of your childhood (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 6:01pm | IP Logged | 1  

I was born in the early 70's, and though I was introduced to comics very early, I didn't become an avid reader until around 10 or 11, with Chris Claremont and Dave Cockrum's second teaming on the X-Men. I just missed JB's X-Men. Being somewhat precocious, I was drawn to the stories of interpersonal conflicts between the X-Men, the soap opera aspect. I appreciated the morally grey stories Claremont would occasionally write. In fact, my first X-Men comics were issues 149 and 150, when Magneto suddenly turns into a good guy at the end. I had no idea that Magneto was actually a bone-thug until I tracked down some reprints of the original Lee/Kirby stories. 

It's a bit strange that as an adult fan I argue for more traditional superhero comics. You'd think I'd be singing praises of Bendis all day. Though the young creators of the 70's and 80's are by and large responsible for today's predominant style, I feel that they still conveyed that larger-than-life excitement that superheroes should be about. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 27 April 2013 at 6:06pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 2  

Also, with Trio, I actually got that "good old" vibe of a superhero adventure. It will be never as majestic as when we experienced a comic as kids, but then what is? 

Sean Watson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 3  

I was born in 1972, 1977- STAR WARS-loved the 80's. Started getting comics when I was 5 and still going. First JB book was ALPHA FLIGHT #12 was hooked instantly. No turning back after that, ever forward.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

Happy Birthday, Carmen!

Comics when I was 10 years old were just the best, most exciting things in the world. The possibilities were endless; each time I turned the cover I was drawn into a fascinating, colourful, dramatic world populated with my favourite characters. I couldn't get enough.

Edited by Peter Martin on 27 April 2013 at 8:13pm

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 5  

Happy B-Day Carmen!

I was born in '85, and grew up reading comics right when The Death of Superman storyline was hitting stands. I recall my 2nd grade teacher actually purchased a few issues for me because she knew how much of a Superman fan I was. I'm still pretty fond of that storyline, out of childhood nostalgia.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

Happy Birthday Carmen.
`````

Buncha young punks... grumble grumble

Despite the many adventures that festoon the previous years -- three Atlantic crossings by liner before I was eight, almost losing my right leg to disease at 5, etc -- when I think of my childhood I seem most often to land in the latter part of 1958, some time after my 8th birthday. And, yes, I would most certainly agree that the world seemed "bigger" then. I was, of course, poised on the edge of a whirlwind of new experiences, all of which left a distinct impression on my young mind.

~~~

Sounds like a Dickens tale.

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 10:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

Happy birthday, Carmen...also a '68er and your post speaks to my
experience as well.

I realized the other day that my son will be 8 in July and that this is
his 1976.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 12:45am | IP Logged | 8  

I'm a child of the 70s.  Born in '67 (and February at that...Age of Aquarius!). the 70s totally informed who I am.  The world seemed bigger and brighter than it ever has since.  That said, I bought a new speaker for my iPod today that fits in the palm of my hand.  I'll say it again: the palm of my hand.  Inexpensive at $20 but it sounds amazing, better than any radio I had in 1977.  So while the world does feel like it's smaller, I think it's actually gotten better if that makes any kind of sense.  I know there are some people that wish it was 1973 all over again (some of them on this board!), but for me I don't wish to be in any other time than right now.  If my great-grandmother could only see the world as it is now...  

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 3:24am | IP Logged | 9  

Born in 69 to a mother of 17 who turned 18 two days later. Like all of you I was influenced by the movies, comics and music of the time from my youth; 6-16. Some of my fondest memories involve waiting in lines to see popular movies, going through the extensive collection of vinyl in the house and weekly trips to Dr. No's comics. I discovered comics when I was 9 through my uncle on a trip to visit my grandma. What a punch to the guts that was!

Rob Shalda
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 10  

Born in 1962. Early years I enjoyed drive-in movies with my siblings and parents,GI Joes,dinosaurs and model kits. Early pre-teen years I dicovered comics and Doc Savage pulps. Became addicted to anything drawn buy the the Buscema's(Really didn't care for Kirby back then),later on growing with the likes of Ross Andru,George Perez and JB! Favorite books were mostly Marvel. Started enjoying DC books in the late 70's. Very fortunate to have had a pleasant childhood

Stephen Bergstrom
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 11  

1969. Was six months old for the moon landing. Grew up on a steady diet of Superfriends, Mego action figures, Big Jim (and the P.A.C.K.), G.I. Joe (before he shrunk), The Six Million Dollar Man, Star Trek, Shogun Warriors, and The Adventures of Superman.

Then 1977 happened, and we were all George Lucas' puppets for a time.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 12  

I recently looked at some comics from the 80's, and compared them to the newer stuff, and I STILL get the feeling that the older stuff is grander regardless of how similar the actual scope is. The mind is a funny thing...

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version