Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Why Wear a Costume? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 1  

Superman's costume is timeless. The suit Reeve wore in the 1978 movie isn't dated, though much of the other fashions in it certainly are. Same can be said the Reeves suit from The Adventures of Superman. And that's what's great about it. From the late 40's thru, well...last year...the costume is essentially the same, and it works. That stuff that dates it is scales, and armor, and no trunks, and mullets....

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 30 April 2013 at 1:47pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 2  

Oh, you had to go and bring up the mullet when I'd forgotten about it.
Back to Top profile | search

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 3  

Those "Tron Titan" costumes above are not their new
costumes, except for Superboy. The villain dressed then
in those a single story. They look like Superboy's
regular costume because the villain created his costume
(and him).

But none of those costumes are more complex than the Jack
of Hearts' original (and still best) costume.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 4  

Since superhero outfits are based, partly, in stuff like circus attire, isn't it interesting that many and most circus performers still wear similar outfits? The issue isn't that Superman's outfit is "outdated" since it can't be given the unique nature of its basis, but an issue with the original source inspiration. 

It still boggles my mind that Superman's outfit worked well enough for the first 73 years but suddenly needed a "drastic" change--which basically just meant getting rid of the trunks. I've heard comments like" Now I can take Superman seriously." Really? What an absurd, fatuous thought process. How did he ever get along for those first 73 years with all those serious minds not being able to take him seriously because of his disposition for wearing red trunks... 

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 5  

"I've heard comments like" Now I can take Superman seriously." Really?"
=======================
Sure, because the most unrealistic thing about Superman is those little red trunks. From what I understand, William Faulkner was originally going to write the strip, simply based upon a description of the character, feeling that everything about was totally in line with his realist take on literature. That is, until he saw the characters red trunks, and cried, "An alien who flies and is impervious to harm, yes. Glasses as a secret identity, sure, why not? Cape? I good with that. But little red trunks? Who could ever believe such a thing!"

If little red trunks are so distracting that you can't enjoy the stories, you really need a new hobby.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2013 at 3:21am | IP Logged | 6  

Kip, I haven't been reading Teen Titans so I wasn't aware those weren't the new costumes. I saw them on several covers and the annual and just assumed they were.

I was also thinking the same thing as Petter, that these characters are virtually unrecognizable as the Teen Titans.

I love the Chief's point about the costumes of the biggest superheroes (Superman, Batman, Flash, etc.) not being indicative of any time period and thus being rather timeless. I believe the same could be said of the fashion of the original Star Wars movies. When you start incorporating the fashion that's currently considered cool, you instantly date whatever costume or clothing you design to that time period.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 May 2013 at 3:47am | IP Logged | 7  

"I've heard comments like" Now I can take Superman seriously." Really?"

=======================

Sure, because the most unrealistic thing about Superman is those little red trunks.

••

Before the Bryan Singer version came out, there were some who were absolutely ecstatic over the fact that Superman's HAIR MOVED when he was flying.

There will always be people who try to sound smarter than they are.

James Elliott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2013 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 8  

Before the Bryan Singer version came out, there were some who were absolutely ecstatic over the fact that Superman's HAIR MOVED when he was flying.

==========

Given the tensile strength of Superman's hair, "realistically" it probably shouldn't move when he flies or at least not that much.  Sorry.  ;-)

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2013 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 9  

"I was also thinking the same thing as Petter, that these characters are virtually unrecognizable as the Teen Titans."
Shane Matlock
---------------------
Aw! Why making such a big fuss around the changing of the looks or costumes.
Remember what Wolfman & Perez did with the VIGILANTE?
They Changed him.
Its a different alter ego, a completely different costume, but its the VIGILANTE.
That's what happening with the TEEN TITANS. It happened before with this team, don't you remember?

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2013 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 10  

I just kind of long for the good ol' days when "SUPER" and "HERO" where the most important factors in the look and actions of superheroes.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2013 at 11:33pm | IP Logged | 11  

Manuel, I probably wouldn't mind as much if the costumes weren't so terrible. But why change costumes that don't really need updating to make them look like 90s Image style costumes anyway? Admittedly the clone Superboy has never really had a good costume, but what was wrong with Kid Flash's costume? You'll note DC makes very few big changes to Batman or Superman's costumes, with the exception of them losing the trunks they are both still recognizable as Batman and Superman. I'd be hard pressed to tell you who any of those Teen Titans are. In fact, I don't recognize about half of them but I'm assuming they are new characters.

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 12  

Shane, I understand what you feel, truly. 
Let me tell you this, about the TEEN TITANS:
To me the TEEN TITANS are the Wolfman & Perez approach, period.
Those are the classic TEEN TITANS to me because that's how I met them, and it's not only that, those were the best times for those characters in terms of script and art.
So I understand perfectly what you mean.

First, I never liked the clone Superboy, I loved Tom Grummett art though.
I think that Superboy was an aberration, just think about it : a mix genes of Lex Luthor and Superman! Who had the terrible idea anyway?
And this Superboy Nu52 didn't appealed to me too.
And just like you, Shane, I do not recognize this new other TITANS, too.
I'm not following this "new" TEEN TITANS so I suppose they're different characters, and considering that they are different characters why they should dress like the classic Teen Titans since their not the same?

You know something, I just hope they never run out of reprints, because that way we will always know how and where to find our favorite stories and favorite comic book runs. (Although as everybody knows the reprints are worthless if you want to sell it on eBay and want to make a small fortune out of it, it doesn't matter anyway, we know what is best).

P.S. Oh, and I mostly agree with JB on how the hell THIS Superboy got a tattoo? He was supposed to be invulnerable.

Edited by Manuel Tavares on 02 May 2013 at 10:54am

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version