Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Why Wear a Costume? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2013 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 1  

JB, it looks like the artist(s) realized those costumes were a nightmare to draw and changed them within a year or so, except for Red Robin's. (The new DC seems all over the place when it comes to decision making.) Not too crazy about these Tron inspired ones the Teen Titans are wearing now either. They look like a headache to draw too.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 29 April 2013 at 11:53pm
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 1:32am | IP Logged | 2  

Here's another angle of this debate.

How many of us can draw Captain America's original costume without reference? Spider-man? The original X-Men (or even most of the All New X-Men? Thor? The Fantastic Four? Iron Man?

Right, I wonder how many of today's artists, who are actually drawing comics, can draw the current crop of Marvel and DC costumes without refencemore complicated does not equal better.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 2:34am | IP Logged | 3  

A very good point, James.

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 3:26am | IP Logged | 4  

"Why is it that Superman's costume looks wrong without 
something to break the blue, when Reed Richards who also 
wears a full body blue suit doesn't? The black belt 
doesn't really break up the solid blue flow, does it? 
I'm not artist, so I don't know these things."
Kip Lewis
------------------------------------------------------
Well, to tell you the truth, Kip. According to the color theory the problem with Superman colors costume is that blue should never be placed side by side with red. Actually when their put together the two colors should be broken by the white as it happens with the American Flag or the Pepsi-Cola logo. In the case of Superman's costume colors the creators preferred to use Yellow to break between Blue and Red. 

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 3:39am | IP Logged | 5  

"Falk claims his inspiration came from the Robin Hood movies of the heroes in tights."
Ed Love
----------------------------------
Actuallly, Ed, I do believe that the medieval clothes were an important starting point as inspiration for the "Super heroes" (if we can say Super before Superman) of the Platinum Age. Flash Gordon is an example of that where the character was placed in world which visual is a crossing between Swashbuckler and Art Deco. So the tights, I'm sure, besides the circus inspiration, came from Swashbuckler movies a lot.

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 3:46am | IP Logged | 6  

"How many of us can draw Captain America's original costume without reference? Spider-man? The original X-Men (or even most of the All New X-Men? Thor? The Fantastic Four? Iron Man?"
James Woodcock
-------------------------
Exactly, James!
One of the reasons why Superman costume became so appealing and widely recognizable is because it has the children's three favorite colors: Red, Blue and Yellow. The primary colors.
And this takes us to another good reason: those comics were meant for children!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 4:42am | IP Logged | 7  

I consider that costumes have to be a reflection of the time that it represents, but not only the time or era but also a reflection of the character that wears it, a reflection of the characters own fictitious background and intentions.

••

If the "intention" is to stand out as a symbol, yes. But the rest of your statement makes no sense. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash -- all those Golden Age characters who started the ball rolling. Who among them wore a costume that was a "reflection of the time it represents"? Who among them wore a costume, in fact, that "represented" any specific time period? None of those outfits were modeled on then-current fashions -- which is one of the places modern costume design has gone seriously off the rails, with coats and jackets and other such "cool" street clothes passing for costumes.

The very fact that any of the modern costumes (like those Teen Titans) can be described as looking like "90's Image style costumes" show they are DATED.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 4:48am | IP Logged | 8  

"Why is it that Superman's costume looks wrong without something to break the blue, when Reed Richards who also wears a full body blue suit doesn't? The black belt doesn't really break up the solid blue flow, does it? I'm not artist, so I don't know these things."

Kip Lewis

------------------------------------------------------

Well, to tell you the truth, Kip. According to the color theory the problem with Superman colors costume is that blue should never be placed side by side with red. Actually when their put together the two colors should be broken by the white as it happens with the American Flag or the Pepsi-Cola logo. In the case of Superman's costume colors the creators preferred to use Yellow to break between Blue and Red.

••

Superman's belt was made yellow so it could be seen against the trunks. A primary color was chose because that was easier. There was no deep "color theory" at work. Barely any thinking at all, in fact. Look at the cover of ACTION COMICS 1. Superman's "ballet slippers" are blue, not even colored to distinguish them from the color of his leggings.

As to the FF's uniforms -- they look fine without trunks for the same reason Spider-Man's costume looks fine without trunks: they didn't have them to begin with. They don't look as if something has been "left off".

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 5:07am | IP Logged | 9  

Incidentally, I would never have guessed that the heroes in the picture Shane posted are the Teen Titans.

You know, these guys:

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 5:14am | IP Logged | 10  

Well, I believe you're right, JB.
My considerations are my own solely and not actual facts of the real history behind the creation of these characters.
As you said there were no deep meaning behind it all, those were simpler times in relation to create comic book characters.
It's curious that you refer that the Nu52 Teen Titans new costumes are dated because they possibly reflect a retroactive look or were thought as if they were being designed during the 1990s, on the other hand the early superhero costumes of the 1930s and 1940s although dated maybe attempted to look futuristic in a way. Or maybe not, maybe as you said the intention all along was simply to "stand out".

Edited by Manuel Tavares on 30 April 2013 at 5:25am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 5:20am | IP Logged | 11  

It's curious that you refer that the Nu52 Teen Titans new costumes are outdated because they possibly reflect a retroactive look, on the other hand the early superhero costumes of the 1930s and 1940s although dated maybe attempted to look futuristic in a way.

••

First, my reference was to others here saying the Nu52 costumes looked dated.

Second, as noted, the inspiration for superhero costumes as they appeared originally were circus performers. Altho the natives of Krypton were dressed in fashions that were meant to appear "futuristic", that was no the inspiration for Superman, or any who followed.

Superman, to name one, and also as noted, dressed as much like a circus strongman as anything else.

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2013 at 5:37am | IP Logged | 12  

Then the answer is always the most simple.
As much as we try to over explain things to give it a deeper meaning it simply doesn't serve the truth.
The truth about things, in this case the creation of the superhero costumes, is simpler. 

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version