Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Why Wear a Costume? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 1  

When I saw The Avengers last year, friends who weren't comic book fans would ask me, "why is the guy with the arrows on the team? He has no powers!" Yet, they never asked the same question about Captain America.

••

Cap "doesn't have powers" except in the sense of being a perfect physical specimen, but he READS as if he has powers. He reads as so much more than "a guy who throws a shield". Hawkeye, to a civilian audience, would very much read as nothing more than "a guy who shoots arrows".

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 4:52am | IP Logged | 2  

Here is a good reason not to wear a costume in today's comics. The artists don't know how to design one that doesn't suck.

••

As that image demonstrates, too many artists these days seem unable to design costumes that don't each take an hour and a half to draw. Looking at that piece makes my head hurt, imagining having to draw each of those characters a hundred times per issue. Oy!

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 3  

That Titans drawing has no sense of depth. Everyone seems to be drawn about the same size, except for Superboy, who looks gigantic, and like he's standing in a hole on the mountaintop.

The Hawkeye one, well, I've seen more exciting clip art.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 4  

Everyone seems to be drawn about the same size, except for Superboy, who looks gigantic, and like he's standing in a hole on the mountaintop.

••

Is this version of Superboy NOT a giant, then? I tend to be careful about commenting on such things. Years ago I tore a strip of a Rob Liefeld drawing for having one character appear far bigger than the others -- then I discovered the character WAS bigger than the others. (That did not let Liefeld off the hook, mind you. Merely altered the flaw. Instead of drawing a normal sized man who looked like a giant, he'd drawn a giant who was not clearly so.)

PS -- and I probably don't want to know -- how does Superboy get a tattoo?

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2013 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 5  

This Superboy is still a clone. Maybe it is a embryo-etched logo?  

Look at that bastardized Kid-Flash costume. Another perfect creation that someone thought lines and doodaddy crap can improve. Sigh.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2013 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 6  

too many artists these days seem unable to design costumes that don't each take an hour and a half to draw.

'Less is more' and 'Keep it simple, stupid' are lost on these guys <g>.

Then again, Nu52 seems to be 90s Image lite, so the approach fits.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sue Ward
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2013 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 7  

If they didn't wear a costume they would be naked and we can't have that now can we.

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2013 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 8  

Firstly the circus Strong man outfit was clearly the early inspiration for the Jerry Siegel and Joe Shusters Superman subsequently Superman's looks was the inspiration for the most part of the super heroes that followed him, therefore it became a genre, with a proper and specific aesthetic.
But that was then. What we get from then till now was the result of the popular phenomenon and Americana. 
Super heroes were supposed to look like Superman (generally) because he was the epitome. So the real deal of a super hero is a character with special characteristics that wears a costume. Mostly because it looks cool and appealing. Thus the idea is to appeal to readers and at the same time being a reflection of the actual popular culture.
What was in vogue for super heroes to wear back in the 1930s is not in vogue any more for Super heroes to wear in 2013.
Visuals evolved. As it must. As everything does.

I consider that costumes have to be a reflection of the time that it represents, but not only the time or era but also a reflection of the character that wears it, a reflection of the characters own fictitious background and intentions.
And also a characters costumes has to be fit for their own function.
Today (the modern day) we must think in terms of Design principles: Form and Function. Not the realism for the realism. Instead  we find the realism as an answer to the question of Form and Function.

My first contact with super heroes I had the impression that those wonderful characters, all worn "special" outfits on their adventures and exploits. SPECIAL OUTFITS That was my explanation for those exotic visuals.

When I first watched SUPERMAN THE MOVIE (1978) I was so impressed by its realism that I thought it was real (at my early age as a child) and it made all sense that Superman's costume was of an alien origin reflecting its exotic culture, that was the way Kryptonians dressed and Superman was a Kryptonean among Men.
I recall Perry White's statement from that move when he was asking to his employees at the Daily Planet what Superman actually wears. _"What its suit is made of? Plastic? What he hides under his cape? Batteries?"
It was an alien suit, that looked perfect at least for the true believer. Because in the same movie in the first scene that Clark Kent transforms himself into Superman a street character (a pimp) that saw him in suit for the first time couldn't stop himself from saying: "Woa, man! That's a BAD outfit!"
And it was really a disappointment when I found out that that suit was made of lycra the same fabric that girls use in gyms to practice their gymnastics. As I recall it lycra wasn't really, and never was actually men's clothes (outside sports of course). One should assume that Super heroes are gymnasts. And in part they really are the best gymnasts around and lycra is good for the free movements, that's right!

One thing is for sure, no way in the world lycra is bullet proof, or fire proof, or is used as stealth. No way in the world... and BTW "...am I the only one? You're not, Ronald." no you're not Ronald, I say! But I would never went in the street wearing lycra (and feeling naked and cold, unprotected) fighting criminals.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2013 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 9  

I think "why should the superhero wear a costume" and "why should a superhero wear a costume" may be two different questions with at least two different answers.

If I lived in the DC Universe and got super powers tomorrow and decided to become a superhero, the decision to not wear a costume would be the strange option.

If I'm creating a superhero in his own universe, who is the first superhero in that universe, then the decision not to put him in a costume may be more justifiable, though I think making that decision would mean missing out on a lot of the fun of the genre.  But I also think that in that kind of a story there would need to be some kind of justification for the costume, be it "the character was inspired by superhero comics" or something as "natural" as "the character wants to hide his identity."

Edited by Luke Styer on 29 April 2013 at 2:47pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2013 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 10  

Why is it that Superman's costume looks wrong without
something to break the blue, when Reed Richards who also
wears a full body blue suit doesn't? The black belt
doesn't really break up the solid blue flow, does it?
I'm not artist, so I don't know these things.

The thing about not being an artist is some things, you
like or don't like, but you don't know why. (Of course,
some things we like, can drive artists crazy, because
either we don't see what they see, or we don't care about
the same things.)

Simon Williams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2013 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 11  

This reminds me of a scene in INCREDIBLE HULK issue 379 where the Hulk explained why superteams form:

"Know why these superteams form? Because when they walk down the street individually, people laugh at them. But when they travel in groups, they can always figure they are laughing at someone else in the gang."

I guess ol' Greenskin forgot about funky his purple shorts were! :D

Seriously though, Superheroes should have costumes! It's what makes them stand out against everyone else. And likewise with super-villains as well. How boring would Doctor Doom look if he wore a suit, and a hood to cover his face?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2013 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 12  

When talking about costumes and inspiration, it should be kept in mind that the tight costumes pre-dated Superman such as Lee Falk's Phantom in 1936 (there were a few in tight fighting costumes in British story papers in the early 1930s as well). Falk claims his inspiration came from the Robin Hood movies of the heroes in tights.The 1928 issue of "Amazing Stories" especially seems a watershed issue, giving the world Buck Rogers and the Lensmen and the cover features a flying sci-fi character in an outfit that looks very much like what would become standard wear for superheroes.

When looking at what the pair did with Doctor Occult when the character became more of a sword and sorcery style character, equipping him with cape, trunks and sword, he bears a resemblance to the early Superman but the two also are a lot like Allan St. John's John Carter illustrations, only applying blue to the legs and torso instead of flesh-tone, complete with a shield over the chest.

Superman did popularize and serve as the launching point for comicbook superheroes, but it seems to almost be being in the right place at the right time, there's quite a bit of actual precedent to him and what we think of superheroes.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version