Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12
Topic: Why Wear a Costume? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 1  

It is one of those few cases with Byrne where I wonder why he changed the costume at all? 

Maybe this was his last one...

:)

Back to Top profile | search

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 2  

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 4  

I guess that says it all. 

Andy Ihnatko
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 5  

The Golden through Bronze-age explanations of Superman's disguise were pretty elaborate and silly (something about special Kryptonian hypno-glass?). 

The later explanation was brilliant: "Nobody guesses that Clark Kent is Superman because it never really occurs to anybody that Superman would _have_ a secret identity. If you're Superman, why on earth would you want to pretend to be anybody else? Least of all that schulmpy Clark Kent?

It made perfect sense to me. Somebody might notice that a certain standup comic looks like President Obama...but nobody would ever think that this comic was actually Obama's secret identity.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 6  

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2013 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 7  

I agree with you on Doc Sampson, Nathan. I thought his new look was pretty cool back then as well. I think as younger readers, we get excited by the changes going on in books. I can't stand the Archangel version of Warren Worthington now but I thought it was so awsome back then. I liked Mohawk Storm, Symbiote Spider-Man, and the Silver Centurian Iron Man armor. Nowadays, I tend to like the characters better as they were originally designed. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 May 2013 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 8  

The Golden through Bronze-age explanations of Superman's disguise were pretty elaborate and silly (something about special Kryptonian hypno-glass?).

••

That was ONE story, which was promptly forgotten.

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:26am | IP Logged | 9  

John Haymes Newton as SUPERBOY:                                                     

If you look carefully you'll find that the "S" symbol that John Haymes Newton is wearing is the only faithful adaptation that I know of, using the exact "S" shield symbol that DC COMICS uses for a long time now especially on merchandising products. Is the exact same trade mark symbol. Here, the only time it was used on a Superman/Super-boy costume.

On the other hand Gerard Christopher sported a different "S" symbol shape, resembling more the comics version. On either case the two were good costumes on the good Christopher Reeve tradition and quality
much better than the costume that Dean Cain wore in the Lois and Clark tv show. Plus both John Newton and Gerard Christopher really had the good looks and both resembled quite a lot Superboy/Superman. IMHO my preference goes to Gerard Christopher that after Chris Reeve was the best looking actor for the Superman role only surpassed many years later by Brandon Routh.

Gerard Christopher as Super boy with Stacey as Lana Lang.

Edited by Manuel Tavares on 07 May 2013 at 12:28am

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2013 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 10  

WHY DO SUPERHEROES WEAR COSTUMES?

"When a superhero dons his or her costume, they’re making a promise: evil may get this far, but no farther. The outfit is the visible symbol of that promise, the bond between the protector and the protected. That promise begins the very first time that the superhero wears their characteristic apparel, and it never really ends. In a sense, the superhero will never remove that special outfit: it will always be a part of them. That’s the real meaning of costumes. For a superhero,a promise is forever."

Check the link:

http://www.worldofsuperheroes.com/columnists/fan-written-art icles/capes-and-masks-why-do-superheroes-wear-costumes/

Superheroes in spandex, why do they wear it?

"Not all superheroes wear costumes made of spandex. In fact, spandex did not exist until 1959, many years after the first appearances of Superman (1938), Batman (1939),Captain America (1941), and countless other heroes. However, in comic books, it has become the go-to material for many of the characters currently in print.The question remains though, why do they wear it and is it time to find something new? OK, so that is two questions."

Check the link:

http://www.examiner.com/article/superheros-spandex-why-do-th ey-wear-it

Edited by Manuel Tavares on 26 May 2013 at 2:42pm

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 12
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version