WWF/WWE, do we want all wrestlers wearing black trunks
and black boots or do we appreciate the diversity and
attire of wrestlers such as Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior
and The Undertaker?

----------

You do know some of the most popular wrestles today,
wrestle in street clothes, or close to it. Compared to
twenty years ago, the modern day look is flat. And yet
it doesn't seem to hurt their popularity.
Back to Top profile | search

Steve Lyons
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 2  

Does anyone think these people look silly?

These people would look odd and out of place in a supermarket or other mundane setting.  But they are extraordinary people wearing the garments designed to function for their extraordinary endeavors.  They fit in perfectly in that context.  And as these athletes are to normal people, super heroes are to them.  Could a super-hero NOT wear something the rest of us would look goofy in?

Steve Lyons
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 3  

While image searching for the above post, I found this:

This looks like a better Captain America costume than what's being used in the sequel.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 4  

Nah, that's the Star-Spangled Kid. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 5  

Those athletes should be embarrassed wearing those things. What's the functionality? They should just wear regular clothes.

Waittaminnit.... what am I SAYING?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 6  

The interesting thing, to me, is the degree to which superhero costumes have influenced the real world. In a case of life imitating art imitating life, the costumes and uniforms in many sports have become more superhero-like.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 7  

This looks like a better Captain America costume than what's being used in the sequel.

••

The sequel is doing the "Winter Soldier" story, one of the worst ideas unleashed upon Captain America in more than sixty years. What Cap is wearing is almost a minor consideration, by comparison!

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 8  

The sequel is doing the "Winter Soldier" story, one of the worst ideas unleashed upon Captain America in more than sixty years.

I'm absolutely disgusted by that. Of all the Cap stories, they choose that one! I wouldn't be seeing it anyway, as I didn't see the first one. I did see AVENGERS and felt that the actor playing Cap didn't even come close to having the presence and gravitas needed for the character. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 9  

I have often said I find myself being quite amazed (not to mentioned thrilled) when I see how much I have contributed to Marvel "lore". When I look at the figurines displayed on the shelves in my Studio, for instance, and note that scattered among the REAL characters created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, there are characters I created. And in the minds of readers, those characters -- Alpha Flight, for instance -- are just as REAL as the FF, or Spider-Man, or the X-Men.

Of course, my joy is diminished when I think of how much CRAP has been forced into the Marvel Universe in the years since I became a comic book professional. How many characters have been completely distorted from their original forms and how, alas, those distortions are also considered "real". (And this is not in any way overlooking the fact that there are many who would consider some of the things I have done to be distortions, too!)

Swinging back to the topic of this thread, this of course includes many of the changes made to the costumes the characters wear. Looking at the Eaglemoss figurines, for instance, and seeing how many characters were presented not in their Classic costumes (despite the declared intent of the line), but in what they happened to be wearing at just that moment.

Uck!!

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 10  

"You missed the whole POINT of my initial post in this thread, didn't you?"
John Byrne
----------------
Possibly, JB!
But I'm not against superheroes wearing costumes/uniforms.
They should/could or can wear costumes, but not necessarily.
A superhero can be a superhero without a costume. I defend that a character, literarily speaking is composed by his or her physical and psychological description. The physical also comprises his or her main attire. The most important for any character in literature is his or her psychology, the costume, or the daily clothes might be a reflection of a persona, but are not strictly the person inside. As any person a fictional character represents the human behavior, generally, and like people they can develop attachments towards the objects that populate their world. Just like the Sherlock Holmes pipe. In the case of superheroes we're talking about characters that have alter egos, that wear masks to conceal their true identity and wear costumes not because their going to participate in some masquerade, but because their going to fight.
So to me, if a superhero choose to wear a costume (and I'm saying this from the point of view of the fictitious world), he or she should wear something that make perfect logic in accordance to what that character is up to... as he or she participates in a WAR, if is the case. If I do sports I wear spandex, if I go into the night fighting criminals it has to be more than that. Of course when it comes to characters like Superman, invulnerable, or the ones that dispose of force fields to shield themselves against any threat the battle suit are not needed, they can go naked that makes no difference. Just like Namor that only wears the swim trunks, which makes perfect sense for him in the middle of the ocean or on the beach although no so among civilians (he should put something on).
Also depends on the type of character or superhero, because if he is an anti-hero type, the outlaw type, the ones that hide in the shadows the bright colors doesn't make so much sense. In the case of Batman he wears a bat like costume because he believes that it scares the criminal, although in order to accomplish that he needs an act and the right environment. In the case of Superman, his costume became a reference for civilians to be identified with, he is after all the most popular superhero. But these are the explanation from inside those stories, from inside that fictional world. From the outside the reason why Superman wears a costume, the way he does, is because Jerry Siegel decided that he wanted, for his character, the most bright colors he could find to call for the reader's attention, not necessarily to call for the attention of the fictitious civilians that lived inside the Superman's fictional  world. One thing is what communicates on the cover of a comic-book, other is the logic going on inside fiction.

One of the things that made me read comics on the first place was the idea that I could live, somehow, those adventures inside my head while I was reading them. For a reader like me to be part of the adventure in that particular fictional world has its importance, and in accordance to that I would, most of the times, fill the heroes shoes therefore that adventure that would come to life in my imagination had to make sense. I would then ask myself what, why and how should I wear as a costume if needed. 

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 11  

The new Doc Samson commission reminded me of an exchange I had with a friend at work a while back. When he was a kid, he was a big Samson fan and didn't like when Byrne put the character in street clothes...

...I wonder if the Byrne of 2013 would make that same decision? 

I remember thinking the leather look was cool at the time... although now I prefer the original costume. 

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 12  

The second costume is a bit too "Rock and Roll" for my taste. 

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version