Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Why Wear a Costume? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:38pm | IP Logged | 1  

Manuel, I agree about the clone Superboy and Tom Grummet's art. I always loved his art. I wonder what he's doing these days?

The Teen Titans for me are the originals (Robin, Kid Flash, Wonder Girl, Speedy, Aqualad, etc) as those were the ones from my childhood, but I too was a fan of the New Teen Titans which were basically the same characters just older, a few with new codenames and costumes. I was more a fan for the wonderful George Perez artwork than Wolfman's writing. Like with John Byrne I will buy almost anything George Perez draws. (I even bought his Crossgen and Ultraverse books.)

The DCnu universe has pretty much turned me off DC comics altogether. Before their current reboot I was buying far more DC books than Marvel ones and always gave their quirky new stuff a try. And I did give serveral DCnu books a try too. I just didn't really like any of them. At this point I'm down to just Batman and Fables from DC. And I've already dropped Batman once but picked it back up for the Joker story. Thinking about dropping it again. That's down from like ten titles a couple of a years ago before the reboot. I really miss the old DC universe. Before the reboot I was buying several Superman, Batman, Green Lantern titles plus some of the off-titles like Rebels and Secret Six which really got screwed in the reboot. 
Back to Top profile | search

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2013 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 2  

Yeah!
I know what you mean, Shane!
You made me smile when you mentioned "Like with John Byrne I will buy almost anything George Perez draws." because during my childhood and teens I was addicted into Byrne and Perez art.

But you're right, this new reboot is a little bit disappointing.
My favorites in this Nu52 were AQUAMAN due to Johns and Ivan Reis, and Nightwing due to Eddy Barrows art.

Oh and Tom Grummett is also one of my favorites. I know he did a great job on the TITANS. These days he is little bit vanished which made me miss him a lot. He is a great artist.
I'm sure you know about this but Eddy Barrows is scaled to be the next TEEN TITANS artist, I don't know about the script but at least the art will be great as Barrows art is really awesome I think.

Edited by Manuel Tavares on 03 May 2013 at 12:57pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Manuel Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2013 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 3  

Okay!
Her is a photo of real present day circus acrobats wearing lycra costumes.
Obviously it's for them the best choice due to their kind of gymnastic acts. It's very flexible and it makes their body completely free of movements.

But should a crime fighter wear such clothes?
It would help him with the acrobatics but it would made him or her an easy target when in the line of fire. How can such a thin fabric be bullet proof, fire proof or even punch proof. Besides, it's cold out there.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2013 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

Don't know. Don't care. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2013 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

The problem is that the one thing most costume designers
these days has forgotten is the most important thing:

KISS

And I'm not talking about a band with Gene Simmons in it.

Keep It Simple, Stupid

Unfortunately, a lot of them are just the last S.....

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2013 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 6  

When it comes to costume design, there's a world of difference between "cool" and "kewl."

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2013 at 11:29pm | IP Logged | 7  

Looking at those gymnastic outfits, I can't help but imagine one of them with a big 'S' shield, red boots/trunk/cape and so on.

And if people start with the "but surely body armour is more practical" mal-thinking that leads to Chris Nolan's 'BMX Batman', three thoughts to conjure with:

1. With the likes of Superman/Captain Marvel, why would they need body armour?

2. Ok, for a 'mere' human like Batman. But movement-restricting armour could be as much a hindrance as a bonus.

3. When you're dealing with alien heroes or future-tech scientific devices granting superpowers, it's hardly a stretch to include some fictional, super-versatile future-fabric that can do whatever the hero requires for a costume.

Or, because Stan Lee was a master at this sort of thing, two words: unstable molecules. Covers most bases, and doesn't require mammoth amounts of pseudo-scientific explanation to get the point across. My eight-year-old nephew would understand it fine* - move on.

*of course, being eight, and thus willing to 'play by the rules' of these stories, I'm sure he'd never question beyond the level of 'Superheroes wear superhero costumes, in the same way a businessman wears a business suit'. Which is as it should be!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 4:17am | IP Logged | 8  

Her is a photo of real present day circus acrobats wearing lycra costumes.Obviously it's for them the best choice due to their kind of gymnastic acts. It's very flexible and it makes their body completely free of movements.

But should a crime fighter wear such clothes?It would help him with the acrobatics but it would made him or her an easy target when in the line of fire. How can such a thin fabric be bullet proof, fire proof or even punch proof. Besides, it's cold out there.

••

You missed the whole POINT of my initial post in this thread, didn't you?

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 9  

I have a friend who likes the TV shows Heroes and Alphas due to the fact that they didn't wear costumes. He told me they still have powers so what's the point of a costume? I told him to watch a football game where the players wear just sweat pants and the same color t-shirt because what's the point of a uniform? The visual appeal of entertainment is a major selling point.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 04 May 2013 at 7:01am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 10  

I have a friend who likes the TV shows Heroes and Alphas due to the fact that they didn't wear costumes. He told me they still have powers so what's the point of a costume? I told him to watch a football game where the players wear just sweat pants and the same color t-shirt because what's the point of a uniform? The visual appeal of entertainment is a major selling point.

••

SO many times I invoke the sports analogy! Why do directors of sports movies not insist on ditching the uniforms to make it all more "realistic"?

Of course, most of the time, those directors are not EMBARRASSED by the movie they're making, are they?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 11  

SO many times I invoke the sports analogy!

So do I. Sort of. I use wrestling as an example (I know it's more of a quasi-sport). When it comes to the WWF/WWE, do we want all wrestlers wearing black trunks and black boots or do we appreciate the diversity and attire of wrestlers such as Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior and The Undertaker?

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2013 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 12  

Using Alphas as a comparison, I think costumes are one
reason for the explosion of ultra powerful characters and
feats. Alphas have powers, but compared to that DC and
Marvel, they are weaklings. Special effect costs are a
main reason, but I think costumes lends themselves to
greater and greater feats of power. I wonder if Superman
would have ever moved planets if he was wearing a
business suit?