Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Marvel goes Epic !!!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 1  

I really love that idea and would like to see all the stories, warts and all.

••

As would I!

However, there is a mentality in fandom that is difficult to overcome.

When I first joined Marvel there was some grumbling from the bean counters about how sales on books like MARVEL PREMIERE and MARVEL SPOTLIGHT rose and dipped so wildly and erratically Try as they might the editors seemed unable to impress upon the Keepers of the Purse that this was because those were ANTHOLOGY titles, and sometimes the features caught the attention of the fans, sometimes they didn't.

Anthology series often run into this problem, whether because the features changed from month to month, or whether because there were several different features in each issue, and fans objected to having to pay for the ones they didn't want. That would dog a series such as proposed here, I suspect.

Back to Top profile | search

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 2  

JB said:
Anthology series often run into this problem, whether because the features changed from month to month, or whether because there were several different features in each issue, and fans objected to having to pay for the ones they didn't want. That would dog a series such as proposed here, I suspect.

Sad but true. 

I think the quality of stories in those first years combined with the eye popping art and the history/experience of the Marvel Age as it happened would far outweigh any of the few misses that may have been published.

If this were marketed correctly it could capture a whole new wave of readers along with all of us old farts.  I would not miss a volume.

Imagine also gaining access to electronic/online information not included in each volume but published online as a companion.  interviews, classic ads, historical reference, annotations from authors/artists/editors.  Or publish these in a year end volume. 

I so wish they would do this and soon.  They could even have good 'ol Stan write brief intro.

*edited to enbolden JB's quote

Edited by Donald Miller on 22 April 2013 at 8:53am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 3  

Hmmm... when I first read this I assumed it was announcing a release of Epic Illustrated material. Has any of that stuff been collected?

My interest in  these epic collections will have a lot to do with how good the color printing is. And the price.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 4  

I wonder how closely the contents will match up with the Essentials line.  It would be great to swap those books one-for-one as color editions come out, but I bet we'll see the same not-quite-match-up as we have between the Essentials and the Masterworks. 

When I get two Masterworks volumes from a particular title, I have that problem where I have to figure out whether I pull its corresponding Essential off the shelf and put it in storage, knowing that there are four or five issues I won't have readily accessible, or do I have an overstuffed bookshelf until I get that next volume and have those last few books again...It's one of those nitpicky things that comic book readers appreciate more than anybody else, I think.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version