Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Marvel goes Epic !!!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 1  

I share your distrust of Marvel, Brad. They already have the Masterwork's line, which has been going since the late 80's and at least has some reputation among fans of classic material. Why not put all your efforts into improving this line, and expanding it, before teasing a new "EPIC!!!!" collection? 

----

Come to think of it... haven't they been putting Masterwork collections in softcover editions for the past few years? Wouldn't those be basically what this Epic line is supposed to be?

Side note - as an only child (and only grandchild on my mom's side), I was spoiled rotten and my grandma bought the first two Amazing Spider-Man Masterworks for me one year. The first 20 issues of Amazing Spider-Man were a revelation to 11 year old me! Even then, I loved the Ditko designs!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

I buy the Marvel Masterworks but I prefer the black cover volumes to the originals.
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'm sure I'll pick up some of the FF ones. I have noticed some gaps in
my collect from late in the Lee/Kirby run to JB's.

I was only a real collector of Iron Man from 180 to 290. I missed some
pretty good stuff. I didn't read the book again until Heroes Return. So,
I'll probably pick up those as well.

A Ditko thru Romita run of Spider-Man would be nice to have in trade
as well.

Now, how long do we have to wait until they fill all the gaps.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 12:48am | IP Logged | 4  

Could be fun. I wish they did this long, long ago, instead of the Essentials or Masterworks. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 4:33am | IP Logged | 5  

I notice the article says nothing about the kind of printing these books will get. If this is slab color on glossy stock, I will have zero minus infinity interest.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 4:51am | IP Logged | 6  

I notice the article says nothing about the kind of printing these books will get. If this is slab color on glossy stock, I will have zero minus infinity interest.

The paper quality/structure and printing should be the same or as close as possibly avaliable as what they once were intended for.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 7  

Another missed opportunity to use my amazing idea.

Marvel Age Collections.
Reprinting all  of the superhero comics starting with Fantastic Four #1 in published order.  The goal, of course, is to recreate the experience of finding and reading all of these great titles and rewatching the birth and growth of the Marvel Universe. 

This version of collected works, would allow us to read the comics as if we were kids again, without the hard choices of skipping titles because we couldn't afford Thor that month.

it also handily deals with the cross-over problems that began to occur so frequently in the 80's.

Am I alone in wanting this?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 8  

Marvel Age Collections.

Reprinting all of the superhero comics starting with Fantastic Four #1 in published order. The goal, of course, is to recreate the experience of finding and reading all of these great titles and rewatching the birth and growth of the Marvel Universe.

••

What DC did with the Fourth World books. Good idea.

Might present some logistical problems, tho. Since Marvel was severely restricted in the number of comics it could publish in the early days of the SIlver Age, many characters made their debut not in their own titles, but in "umbrella" books like TALES OF SUSPENSE and JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY. So, the Big Question would be, when publishing the debut and subsequent stories, would the other stories in the issue be published, too? Many of those six and eight page tales are classics -- many are not. And I can just hear the griping from the superhero fans if the "unimportant stuff" was included, and the purists if it wasn't!

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 9  

As we have seen with the recent Garcia-Lopez book, the coloring process used on these volumes could make or break it.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 10  

I really love that idea and would like to see all the stories, warts and all.

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 11  

JB said:
Might present some logistical problems, tho. Since Marvel was severely restricted in the number of comics it could publish in the early days of the SIlver Age, many characters made their debut not in their own titles, but in "umbrella" books like TALES OF SUSPENSE and JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY. So, the Big Question would be, when publishing the debut and subsequent stories, would the other stories in the issue be published, too? Many of those six and eight page tales are classics -- many are not. And I can just hear the griping from the superhero fans if the "unimportant stuff" was included, and the purists if it wasn't!

True about limited at first, but that to me is part of the fun. 
According to the Complete Marvel Reading Order #3 would be Tales to Astonish #27 with the first appearance of Henry Pym in the classic "The Man in the Ant Hill".

While my personal preference would be for printing the entire comic, as this allows us to see the transition from Marvel Monster Books era into the Marvel Age proper., I would have no real issue if the stories were the focus.  Hell I would like the letter columns and Stan's Soapbox included as that was part of what made early Marvel such a community experience.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 12  

Letter columns and Stan's Soapbox would be a great addition, which have been sadly lacking in the recent omnibuses I have bought.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version