Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Marvel goes Epic !!!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 1  

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel-epic-collections.html

I think it's a good idea. I'm a fan of the essential collection in theory. However the B&W format put me off buying any of them. Which was a shame because I would have purchased many of them. Hopefully these Epic collections will be worth buying.
Back to Top profile | search

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 2  

My first impression of this announcement is fairly positive.  I may get the early volumes to upgrade my existing Essentials.  However, the caveat will be whether they mess with the colors to "update" them.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 3  

If I understand the way these volumes are to be released, it could be a bit of a headache for me as a retailer, even though I get why it's being done the way its planned.

For example, apparently the first published volume for "Spider-Man Epic Collections"* will be volume 20, with volumes 1 through 19 to follow in some irregular pattern. I think I have that right. If this is the case, I know I will have customers who want to know where the first 19 volumes are, and some will more than likely wait until all the volumes in a line are put out.

I'm not sure how Marvel plans to do this, but I think leaving the volume number off the front covers would increase the likelihood of these selling. I can't tell you how many times people pass on picking up a trade paperback when the volume number is past the first, and they haven't bought any of the other volumes.

People these days can't seem to jump into an ongoing series. Heck, when I was growing up, in the age before restarts and revamps, you had to jump in or not read the comics at all.

*Nathan Greno is pitching a fit somewhere right now over my use of "quotes." Heh.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 4  

I'm a fan of the essential collection in theory. However the B&W format put me off buying any of them.

••

INFIDEL!!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 5  

For example, apparently the first published volume for "Spider-Man Epic Collections"* will be volume 20, with volumes 1 through 19 to follow in some irregular pattern. I think I have that right. If this is the case, I know I will have customers who want to know where the first 19 volumes are, and some will more than likely wait until all the volumes in a line are put out.

••

I'd call that a smart move. In fact, if I was a retailer, I would refuse to carry these, being released in this cockeyed manner. Start with 20 and hope the rest come out? No thanks!

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 6  

Fantagraphics is releasing the complete Carl Barks Duck collection this way, with two volumes per year stretching for about 15 years (or about 30 volumes total), and the first volume released was volume 7. The second and third volumes released were volumes 12 then 11. 

The volumes have no numbering on the sides, and the only way you'll know what order to put them in when they're finally all released will be to actually look inside and read where to put it, or look it up online I suppose. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 7  

I bought the first Donald Duck (reading now) and Uncle Scrooge and realized quickly that these were not the first Bark's Duck comics--I assumed they wanted to start with the "best" stuff first. Unlike the Marvel and DC material, this poses little problem given that there is no continuity in the shared universe sense at all.  

Can't say that I'm pleased that we'll have to wait 15 years for a full set of Barks classic material. That being said, I have so much to read, that won't be as big of a problem as I'm letting on. At the very least I hope we get access to all of his work in digital format long before that.  

I agree with JB on the way they're releasing the Marvel stuff. I honestly don't buy that Marvel with all of its resources can't take the risk of releasing complete sets of their most iconic series all at once. At the very least they should release the first five or so volumes in each set to see if they sell well enough to continue. If all they want to do is reprint classic story-lines, fine, but don't tease the notion of being able to have a full run in a spiffy new edition. 

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 8  

I don't mind it for the Barks Duck books because I know Fantagraphics track record with Peanuts etc means they've got a plan and they're sticking to it, and like you say, there's not really any continuity to be worried about so it's not like I'm reading spoilers for volume 6 if I read volume 7 first. 

On the other hand, with Marvel's track record of getting rid of different formats or being inconsistent about releasing them I have no hope they'll ever release a full set of Thor, Iron Man, or even Spider-Man or X-Men. 

I used to collect the oversized hardcovers (same dimensions as the Omnibus series, just with fewer issues) of Ultimate Spider-Man back when Bagley was still drawing it. I finished off the run without Bagley before they renumbered it (and titled it Ultimate Comics Ultimate Spider-Man - ugh) and I may have bought a volume 13, but they stopped releasing them in that format. So I don't buy that series anymore, and as far as I'm concerned Ultimate Spider-Man only has 12 oversized volumes in the series. 

Likewise, when's the third Lee/Kirby FF Omnibus going to come out? And with tying even popular characters like Spider-Man to movie release dates, it took from 2007 until 2012 to release the second Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus. A third will be coming sooner than that, presumably, because the second Marc Webb movie is coming sooner rather than later, but a five year gap between releases for THE Marvel flagship character? 

I don't hold out any hope that these Epic paperbacks will be released regularly, or that they'll eventually represent an entire run, because I don't think Marvel is capable of being that consistent for more than a few years. 

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 9  

I share your distrust of Marvel, Brad. They already have the Masterwork's line, which has been going since the late 80's and at least has some reputation among fans of classic material. Why not put all your efforts into improving this line, and expanding it, before teasing a new "EPIC!!!!" collection? 

I'm very happy that I decided to buy all those Marvel DVD-ROM's. It's not ideal, or even everything, but it's all of the most important and essential stuff.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 10  

I'm a fan of the essential collection in theory. However the B&W format put me off buying any of them.

••

INFIDEL!!!

~~~~~~~~~

HEY THERE!!!! 

Clearly you did not notice in my thread title the multiple use of ! So I put four more !  in "Hey There!!!!" see that I clearly did it again. Find your own key to repeatedly use on your keyboard thank you very much!!! 

Ps - Sorry Nathan for the use of your "

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 11  

There's an interview about the new books here: Collected Editions Spotlight

QUOTE:
CE SPOTLIGHT: The titles of the Amazon listings don't indicate they will be sorted by "Volume" identifiers. How are you handling that?

DAVID: Volume numbers will definitely appear on the back cover and we're currently considering if and how we would use them on the spine design. One the one hand, we want that collector's mentality of having a long run of numbers, but on the other hand there are still many people who won't want to see a "Volume 18" all alone on their shelf. We're leaning towards using a section of the back as the "racking", or organizing, tool. We certainly wouldn't mind fan input on this subject, though, so we can see if we there is early support for one way or another.

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 12  

I definitely would pick up some of these. Some books in that line I really
enjoyed.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version