Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: The invisible force field (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 5:27am | IP Logged | 1  

I just remember a time when what was shown in the comic was right. I mean if they introduced a character that someone else knew but we had never met them, as a kid I just accepted it. I mean if Superman knew this guy he was alright with me. I never thought, hey if I never saw that it couldn't have happened.

Wasn't the scene during the Dark Phoenix sage where Jean says she is going to forge a mind link with Scott a flashback to them at Warren's place but with new information? I don't recall people screaming then that since it wasn't shown on page back then there was no way it could have happened. I had no problem with XHY taking place in between the gap from old to new X-Men with information we never knew. In fact I never had a problem with Enterprise doing it since i assumed the show was just a time glitch and everything that was "wrong" would be wiped away by the end of the series. I assume there is stuff we miss, that what we are reading are the relevant moments. At least I did before comics became 12 panels of the same person talking.

Then they became eerily real time.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 2  

I just remember a time when what was shown in the comic was right.

••

When I began my journey toward a career in comics, I had my first encounter with hardcore fans, and I was stunned by just how many would complain about the books as if THEY knew better than the people PRODUCING the comics!

Long, long time ago. This has become a standard mindset, now.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2013 at 5:10am | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
When I began my journey toward a career in comics, I had my first encounter with hardcore fans, and I was stunned by just how many would complain about the books as if THEY knew better than the people PRODUCING the comics!

There may be some truth to this. Some of these hardcore fans likely spend more time with the characters than those producing the comics.

Consider your recent Robin commission, where you didn't recognize it was Tim Drake. Did you need to? Certainly not to draw such an image. But that was just a commission. It was a simple story drawn in one panel.

So what if we look at your Blood of the Demon. How much homework was done to produce that? Its a rhetorical question because it would be largely impossible or at least impractical to read every appearance for each individual nuance added of the years. Things will be missed and people will be disappointed. Much as every issue is somebody's FIRST, every issue is also somebody's FAVORITE.

So is it about KNOWING better? Is it about KNOWING more? Maybe. Or to some of these people, perhaps its just about CARING. Passion is a weird thing. But sometimes someone just needs a bit of validation more than an argument.
Back to Top profile | search

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version