Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Fantastic, Not Plastic (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2013 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 1  

I don't recall that issue; however, I do remember JB having Reed do something similar when the FF battled the Psycho-Man.

You may be right Wallace. I could be mixing two separate events up.

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 16 April 2013 at 11:54pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 April 2013 at 5:24am | IP Logged | 2  

"…the four-armed monkey…"

••

No contempt there at all!

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2013 at 5:53am | IP Logged | 3  

Giffen rarely ever writes any character actually in-character, but looks for ways to change them to make them more interesting to him. It's his basic approach to almost everything.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2013 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 4  

If only his approach could be used for good and not evil

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2013 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 5  

Chris Basken wrote:
...One thing I never liked was the use of the word "talent" in place of "power" or "ability." To me, a talent is something everyone can do, but that a talented person can do better.

Nightcrawler doesn't have a talent for teleporting...

Jeffery Rice wrote:
(Partially quoting what Chris wrote)...Nightcrawler doesn't have a talent for teleporting...

------

Although he is better at it than me! ;)

So, you can teleport?

Chris Basken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2013 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 6  

Rob Ocelot wrote:
If you think Reed's powers are ill-defined, there's just as much (if not more) variation in how Spider-man's ability to stick to objects is depicted.  At its most extreme I believe Spider-man was pulled off a building with chunks of brick still adhering to his feet!

When I daydream about how I'd approach a reboot to the FF's origin and powers, I play with the idea that Reed isn't stretching at all (like rubber), but can wrap himself in a skin-tight space warp. So basically he's causing a kind of discontinuity between the geometry of his body and the geometry of the rest of the universe.

This is probably why no one's asked me to reboot the FF's origin and powers...

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2013 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 7  

Matt - only when I drink enough!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 April 2013 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 8  

Chris Basken -- are you familiar with Occam's Razor? If not, I suggest you look it up!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2013 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 9  

"When I daydream about how I'd approach a reboot to the FF's origin and powers, I play with the idea that Reed isn't stretching at all (like rubber), but can wrap himself in a skin-tight space warp. So basically he's causing a kind of discontinuity between the geometry of his body and the geometry of the rest of the universe."

OVERTHINK ALERT!!!  Put down the comic books and slowly back away, Chris.

Chris Basken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2013 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 10  

Sorry, I would have replied sooner but someone tried to blow up my city!

I'm not sure it's an overthinking. After all, they number of logical hoops you need to jump through to make "Reed just stretches" work can get you tangled up in knots. In a way, it would be simplifying it to say his powers and Sue's powers are variations on a theme (she bends EM waves, he bends spacetime).

Doctor Who said, "A straight line between two points may be the shortest but it is by no means the most interesting."

In any event, it's not like there's any danger of me writing FF any time soon (or ever), so we can go off red alert.

p.s. I hope everyone's safe.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2013 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 11  

Chris Basken wrote:
...he bends spacetime...

The problem with such explanations is that some writers would not leave well enough alone. For instance, you think it would be simple to say Reed bends spacetime to simply stretch, but another writer would seize that as an opportunity to make Reed the most powerful person in the universe by having Reed tap into that ability to maximize it to its fullest potential. Suddenly, Reed is a master of controlling time and space.

Think of how Scarlet Witch went from using hexes to create "bad luck," to later being able to alter reality, all because some writers wanted to "ground" her powers by supposedly making a more "realistic" explanation.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 April 2013 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'm not sure it's an overthinking. After all, they number of logical hoops you need to jump through to make "Reed just stretches" work can get you tangled up in knots

••

There are no logical hoops that need jumping thru, unless you want to build them for yourself.

When I was a kid, reading FF 5, I needed no more explanation of "how" Reed's power worked than to simply see him do it. Like I didn't need an explanation of how Johnny burst into flame without being totally consumed or sucking all the air out of a room. I didn't need anyone to explain to me how Sue could see, if her retinas were invisible. And, unlike at least one letter-writer, I did not need to be told where Ben's fourth finger went (or if he had a penis).

All of those are classic fanboy overthink, and the first time any of them drift thru your mind in any kind of serious need-to-know kind of way, it's time to look for another hobby.

I will also invoke Byrne's Seventh Law of Comicbooks* -- anything that makes the explanation MORE complicated is a BAD idea.

_____

* Yes, I do make these numbers up. There is no real list.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version