Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6
Topic: Superman’s 75th Anniversary. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 1  

A shame what you have to learn years later.  I thought John Byrne's run on SUPERMAN was generally accepted as typically great... the only scuttlebutt at the time that I recall is some vague grumbling from Harlan Ellison somewhere (and it's been so long, I can't even remember where I first read of it).

Of all the crap that DC (and Marvel) has churned-out in the past 25-odd years, it's John Byrne's Superman that is still polarizing???  Unreal.

Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 2  

A shame what you have to learn years later.  I thought John Byrne's
run on SUPERMAN was generally accepted as typically great... the
only scuttlebutt at the time that I recall is some vague grumbling from
Harlan Ellison somewhere (and it's been so long, I can't even
remember where I first read of it).

Of all the crap that DC (and Marvel) has churned-out in the past 25-
odd years, it's John Byrne's Superman that is still polarizing??? 
Unreal.

======
Oh you can thank Jim Lee & Grant Morrison for getting JB off the
hook. These two really did kill the character. That's who everybody
gripe about now. I just can't read him anymore. He's may wear a
similar "S" but he's not Superman. I just keep hoping that after the
WB/DC vs. Siegel's Lawyer trial is over, we'll get our Superman back.
I don't think sales now are any better than they were before New52 at
this point.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 12:53am | IP Logged | 3  

Even before New52, the character of Superman had been massacred by constant origin tweaks, often added with psychobabble that writers today seem so fond of. New52 was just the final undoing of everything that was essentially Superman. Red trunks? Silly! Armored suit? Cool! Superman as an angry, ill-adjusted young man? Check.

Many of the critics miss this, but when JB re-booted Superman, he left the character intact! You picked up a new issue and there was no doubt that it was SUPERMAN you were reading.

Unfortunately, Stephen, I don't think we'll ever get "our" Superman back. Not in today's industry, and not with the people running DC still in charge.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 4:51am | IP Logged | 4  

Many of the critics miss this, but when JB re-booted Superman, he left the character intact! You picked up a new issue and there was no doubt that it was SUPERMAN you were reading.

••

One of the lessons I learned when rebooting Superman was the degree to which the central core of the character had slipped into a place of relative unimportance for many of the most harsh critics. Those barnacles I imagined myself to be chipping away from DC's flagship turned out to be what MATTERED to these people.

It was all summed up for me when, as I have mentioned before, I received a letter from an irate fan who simply could not believe I had gotten rid of Beppo, the Supermonkey. Did I not understand how IMPORTANT that character was?

Eventually, I realized it wasn't really about what was "important". It was about memorizing microscopic details of the character's history. It was about being able to whip out the tiniest trivia, naming issue numbers and other such unimportant window dressings. And somehow, at least in the minds of the people doing it, fitting it into a "cohesive" whole.

As I've mentioned before, DC was reaching the "S" volumes in WHO'S WHO just as I was gearing up on Superman, and they actually wanted to list "my" Superman as a separate entity, "Superman III". I refused to allow it, saying "my" Superman was the same one created by Siegel and Shuster. But looking back, I have long since realized "Superman III" would most likely have silenced about 99% of the protests. Instead of giving the deeply anal retentives something to complain about, it would have given them something else to add to their hoarder brains.

James Revilla
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 5:30am | IP Logged | 5  

Ah yes Beepo. I really liked the 12 issue mini series that Morrison did where Beepo ends up being Jor-El just devolved from the future. a chilling tale about the misuse of animal testing and how we are the real monsters.

Sigh. I wish that didn't sound like an actual comic now.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2013 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 6  

Marv Wolfman originally planned to turn Luthor in to a business tycoon in his 1980 - 1984 Action Comics run, but the idea went unused or was put on hold. Cary Bates and Curt Swan revamped the character with the Warsuit. Wolfman and Gil Kane revamped Brainiac instead, and substituted Vandal Savage for Luthor so as not to let story plans go to waste.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2013 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 7  

I was, after all, viewed by many hard core Superman fans as a "Marvel Guy" who was invading the sacred halls of DC.

Yeah, I remember my first brush with that kind of fan-think. While I liked Marvel comics better, I just went to the store and bought comics. I guess it was an unconscious brand loyalty but when I went to get the first issue of Man of Steel at Waldenbooks, I was scoffed at by a Superman fan. He told me there was no sense in buying the comic because it wasn't Superman. I asked why and he told me that John Byrne was going to "Marvelize" him.

Andrew Morton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2013 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 8  

My first exposure to JB's work was MAN OF STEEL. For me he STARTED as a DC guy!

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2013 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 9  

The hardcore fans had likely not read a Superman comic book in years, but
they were there to protest "the Marvel guy" working on DC's premiere hero.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version