Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Superman’s 75th Anniversary. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 April 2013 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 1  

i am glad JB got the second spot on the list, though. to me, MOS remains the definitive way to reboot a character.

••

Whether it's that or not, I really doesn't belong on this list. DC has effectively wiped away everything I did, and the current Superman bears little resemblance to the one I set in motion.

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 2  

...which is why i'm not reading superman or action these days.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2013 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 3  

But JB, whether or not DC left your stories in place, that work still means a lot to many fans of Superman, which is something that nothing they do in their current product can diminish. You belong on any list of best or important Superman writers. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2013 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 4  

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/04/19/best-art-ever-this- week-superman-75th-anniversary-edition/

Nice compilation of Superman related artwork! JB is in there, of course! :-)
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 April 2013 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 5  

But JB, whether or not DC left your stories in place, that work still means a lot to many fans of Superman, which is something that nothing they do in their current product can diminish. You belong on any list of best or important Superman writers.

••

But not a Top Ten.

Simon Williams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2013 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 6  

I was very pleased to see JB's name at no.2 on that lists, even if you do feel you don't deserve to be there sir! Your run on Superman remains my favourite on the book... as I didn't really collect Superman comics before that.

Such a shame that the Man of Steel of today is a far cry from "the man of tomorrow".
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jovi Neri
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 7  

Yes, JB deserves number 2.

The businessman Luthor was a creation that saw more TV and movie appearances than any other version - Lois and Clark, Smallville, Superman Returns movie, Superman Ruby Spears Animation and Superman Adventures (Bruce Timm) to name a few. Would people from this generation even remember that Luthor used to be a mad scientist?

The Smallville and Lois & Clark show would not also be possible if not for JB keeping the Kents alive.  Not sure if the Kents are alive or gone in this current iteration of Superman (Ok I confess I have not really been up-to-date with the New 52, but so what!)

If memory serves me right, it was JB who created characters such as Rampage, Silver Banshee, to name a few.  Not sure about JB's involvement with resurrecting The Guardian and Newsboy Legion but I think that was part of his run when he brought back a version of Supergirl. This made the Cadmus project and Professor Hamilton a big part of future stories in both print and comics.

Sure a lot of the credit should also go to Marv Wolfman and Jerry Ordway, but JB set all this into motion.  While the Superman of today bears little resemblance to what JB envisioned, I still think the effects of what JB created are felt to this day and he deserves #2.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2013 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

JB's Man of Steel is the reason I started buying Superman back in the day. Without his involvement, I wouldn't love Superman like I do today (even though I no longer buy any Superman comics).

they walked into their local shops to pick up what was, for them, the newest issue, only to find that the "retailers" had taken the books out of the distributors bundles and slapped 20, 30, 40 dollar price tags on them.

I always like to give my LCS props for doing things the right way . I remember when the death issue came out. There was a line outside the store of people wanting to buy it. The owner held an issue for every customer with a pull box in case they wanted it and wouldn't allow any customer to buy more than one issue. I actually heard a guy offer to buy his entire stock of the issue for some ridiculous price (I can't actually remember the figure) and then get mad when the owner told him "no". I actually passed on the issue at the time and only recently bought it a few years ago when I was putting together "My Superman" run. I'm a fan of the creators at the time more than the storyline and it only cost me a couple of dollars, which really must make people that bought issues by the boatload feel dumb.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 19 April 2013 at 8:30pm

Eric Russ
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2013 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 9  

Thanks for posting, Paul!

Doc Lehman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2013 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 10  

The best thing to happen to Superman since Donner's first film is JB's run. Dreck since then.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2013 at 3:34am | IP Logged | 11  

Cary Bates and Elliott S! Maggin deserved to be on that list for their contributions to the character.

Here's a link to a good Dan Jurgens interview on the Post-Crisis Superman:

It is a shame that DC doesn't seem to be celebrating the 75th anniversary in the same way they did with the character's 45th, 50th and 60th.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2013 at 3:44am | IP Logged | 12  

Comicbook Resources has another poll. This one on Superman
artists. Looks like JB is doing well.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version