Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Diversity in Direct Market vs. Newsstand (What If...?) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 2:52am | IP Logged | 1  

I have been re-reading Reinventing Comics and it occurs to me that some non-mainstream material could not be sold at newsstands. Some could, but might not sell well.

Knowing that Mr. Byrne believes the DSM to have been a mistake, I wanted to gather speculations on what path the other genres of comic would have taken in an alternate world where there had been no DSM. Self-published mini-comics? Slick magazines in bookstores? Something else?

It might have resulted in superior alternative comics since they would have to be able to appeal to both their true target audience and the casual reader. Anyway, what do you think?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 2  

I'd like to think that today's comics would sell just a little better due to there not being a DSM to siphon away the readers and prevent new ones from popping up amongst the throngs who would accompany their parents/guardians to the newsstands and supermarket bookshelves.  However, given what the trends in the rest of the entertainment industry have been during the three decades which passed while the DSM was in place, I doubt that it would've resulted in much of a difference in the quality of what's out there today.

While the DSM did see an explosion of genres at its onset due to the exposure of small independent publishers, much of that turned out to be "monkey see, monkey do" imitation of hot trends (the Image boys, "bad girl" comics, elves, zombies, etc).  It also led to the reduction of the number of new readers who would've kept the mainstream comics at a level, though that wouldn't have affected the decline by too much due to the distractions of video games, movies, and the Internet.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 3  

The DSM wasn't a mistake. Turning the DSM into the sole venue was the mistake.

The DSM was created as what today we call an "after-market". As conceived by Phil Seuling and midwifed by Paul Levitz, the idea of the DSM was that dealers -- "retailers" did not exist yet -- would be able to buy their comics "directly" from the companies, without the middle-man of the distributors. In this way they would get the books at a substantially reduced cost, but, unlike the regular outlets, they would not be able to return the unsold copies. Thus, every comic sold thru the DSM would be close to 100% profit for the companies, and the dealers would build up a stock of back issues for future sale.

Unfortunately, that "100% profit" was simply too much of a siren call, for the companies, and as more and more of those dealers began transforming themselves into "retailers" (tho very often with no real skill in actual retail), the bean counters at the companies started seeing more and more ways to use the DSM to make money they might otherwise not. First, there cam the "Direct Only" titles -- books that had low sales which, in the traditional venues, would have meant cancellation. But, by selling them only thru the DSM, even those low sales represented 100% profit.

Gee! What if we sold ALL the books that way. . . ??

And what if we shot ourselves in both feet AND the head!!

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 4  

Interesting question. We probably wouldn't have seen the independent publishing boom of the 1980's, and probably no speculator boom either. I think that there would have been good, healthy growth at Marvel and DC. I am not sure that concreting Marvel's and DC's majority hold of the market would be a good thing. However, with the age of the digital tablets, and distributors like Comixology, I think the indie boom would be getting under way now. We may very well be in that sort of era again right now. I think in today's world that digital will be the new newsstand as far as availabity of the product. What I never understood as far as indie publishing went was the hold up. The big barrier in the way of indie publishing was the Comics Code, and more specificly the cost of having their little stamp on your book. Why not just publish the work in magazine size instead? I have often wondered why Bill Gaines just didn't start publishing Vault of Horror and his other titles at magazine size to avoid the Comics Code like he did with Mad magazine. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 5  

I have often wondered why Bill Gaines just didn't start publishing Vault of Horror and his other titles at magazine size to avoid the Comics Code like he did with Mad magazine.

••

I have heard -- and this may be just industry legend, so take it with maybe a couple of grains of salt -- that the sales on the non-MAD titles were marginal at best, even for the time, and it simply would not have been economically viable to switch them to magazine format.

From my own point of view, I'd say MAD underwent a considerable transformation when it turned into a magazine, and the other EC titles would probably not have "translated" so well.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 6  

To me the DSM is a perfect example of economics failure:

looking at profit rather than value. To whit:

Through the DSM I make 100% profit.
I have spent less to produce so the profit margin is higher.
But I sell less and so the overall amount is less

The lunacy of it all:
YOU HAVE LESS MONEY IN YOUR HAND YOU IDIOT

It's the same thinking that JB mentioned in the employment thread where a reduced increase in jobs was seen as a bad thing - the jobs still increased. but with the opposite result.

Here, although the profit margin increases, the actual income decreases.

Who looks at that and says it is a good thing?

Economists

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 7  

Comicbook publishers notoriously belong to that benighted class that considers a smaller profit than expected to be the same as LOSING MONEY.

Mind you, since the budget for a company year has traditionally been based on projected earnings -- spending NEXT YEAR'S money THIS YEAR -- in some ways this perception is accurate, tho the "loss" is self-inflicted!

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 8  

Did any of us on this board first discover comics through the Direct Market?  My first comics were the ones belonging to my older brothers, and the first that belonged to me were picked up by my mother at the local convenience store when I was home sick from school one day. 

I suppose that if I'd grown up in a big city, I might have eventually stumbled across a comic shop on my own, but growing up in a small town in Ohio, I don't know how I'd have been introduced to comic books if they hadn't been sold in regular stores.  Or that my mom would have picked up comic books for me if she hadn't grown up on them herself.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 9  

I would maintain it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to "discover" comics thru the DSM. That's one of the big problems. Unlike previous generations, who bought their first comics in drug stores, or newsstands, or grocery stores, or gas stations, or bus stations, or. . .   well, you get the picture --- today, a new reader has to make a deliberate decision to buy comics, and then seek out a venue.

Impulse buying, formerly the life blood of the industry, has been cut to almost nothing.

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 10  

One of my old friends from high school runs a video rental store in my hometown (which is pretty much doinked once high speed internet and RedBox migtrate to the Indiana backwoods) and I have tried to get him to go in halves with me to start selling comics at his video store. 

I'm not particuarly concerned with making a profit on my end (though getting my money back to break even would be a nice bonus).  I think it would be great to have a venue to start putting comics in places kids go (at least until all video rental stores have gone the way of the dodo). 

And even as I approach 37, I still nurture the dream of producing my own comic (if only I could draw and did not need an artist!) and what a great place that would be to sell them from.

He has so far rejected the idea, even with only half the initial investment risk. 

I usually sell my backissues to 1/2 Price Books at dimes on the dollar so the kids in there can get some cheap comics from a decent collection.  But I've also deluded myself into believing that children other than my own son actually buy comics from 1/2 Price.

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 10:45pm | IP Logged | 11  

So, the DSM isn't really Direct Market anymore, least not as envisioned? Since retailers actually buy the majority if not all the books through Diamond and NOT the companies directly and Diamond is able to dictate to a degree the profit margins and prices of the books or they won't carry them. Just as the Digital comics are also sold through a distributor that gets a piece of the pie. Seems like the "D" stands for anything but "Direct". Is Diamond as a distributor substantially different than it was before in terms of the profit other than no returns?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2013 at 4:33am | IP Logged | 12  

Impulse buying, formerly the life blood of the industry, has been cut to almost nothing.

It's the same here in England. And has been for a while.

They used to be sold almost everywhere at times. I discovered a Spider-Man comic in a railway station. Yes, a railway station, where people go to catch trains! Not to buy comics, but it was there.

The local post office had occasional titles. Greengrocers did. Even a petrol station in our area had a few superhero titles. It's how I discovered them.

Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version