Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: I Guess Squirrel Girl Can Lift Mjolnir Too (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 1  

One thing about the Red Hulk, he moved the hammer, he did
not wield the power of Thor. Those are two different
things.

Still don't like that book.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

He was however able to swing the thing around and use it just as Thor does as a means of transportation. Ideally, the hammer shouldn't be able to be used by anyone unworthy. Unfortunately, with precious, adorable lil' writer's pet characters like the Red Hulk, "outs" and "dodges" are the order of the day in making sure they can kick the butts of every single character the writer wants them to.

I mean, if the Red Hulk fought River Song, who would win?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 3  

Juggernaut "hitched a ride" on Thor's hammer by grabbing the strap when Mjolnir deflected off of his forcefield, and he used the momentum to deck Thor.  That was during the Acts of Vengeance issue of Thor during the DeFalco/Frenz era.  And it was a fun, in the spirit of superhero comics loophole around letting someone else use Thor's hammer--unlike Hulk grabbing Thor's wrist and making him bash himself in the face with his own hammer.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 4  

Andrew, I see that as the hammer doing what Thor intended for it to do; fly at Juggernaut to strike him, and then doing what it's enchantment has always made it do; return to Thor's hand. Juggernaut just found a fun way to work that sequence of events to his advantage. :-)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 5  

Juggernaut "hitched a ride" on Thor's hammer by grabbing the strap when Mjolnir deflected off of his forcefield, and he used the momentum to deck Thor. That was during the Acts of Vengeance issue of Thor during the DeFalco/Frenz era. And it was a fun, in the spirit of superhero comics loophole around letting someone else use Thor's hammer--unlike Hulk grabbing Thor's wrist and making him bash himself in the face with his own hammer.

••

I must have missed something. Isn't the whole point of Juggernaut that he is SLOW and RELENTLESS? When did he develop the speed he'd need to pull off a trick like this?

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 6  

Observing the shot of IM in space with the Hammer, I wonder if there is a distinction between holding an 'inert' hammer and 'wielding' the power of Thor!

So IM could return the hammer because his intentions are entirely honourable. He could not 'use' it or the power it acts like a conduit for.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 7  

I must have missed something. Isn't the whole point of Juggernaut that he is SLOW and RELENTLESS? When did he develop the speed he'd need to pull off a trick like this?

His force field slowed Mjolnir's flight considerably.  I seem to recall the hammer slowing as it approached him, then gradually turning around so that it could return to Thor's hand.  The way DeFalco and Frenz presented it, no great speed was required on the Juggernaut's part.

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 8  

But don't things just bounce off a force field, pretty much with equal speed as the initial impact? Seems like DeFalco and Frenz cheated a bit.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 9  

But don't things just bounce off a force field, pretty much with equal speed as the initial impact? Seems like DeFalco and Frenz cheated a bit.

Well, Juggernaut's force field is mystical in nature and Mjolnir has magical enchantments. Maybe their respective energies got a little muddled and voila!

I'll take my No-Prize now!

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 10  

Cytorrak magic meeting Asgardian magic.  Thor wasn't feeling 100% at the time, due to one of Loki's spells, so it's possible that Mjolnir wasn't hitting Juggernaut at full power, either.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 11  

Red Hulk?

Red She-Hulk?

Wow. Remember when DC used to have duplicate characters? This has got to be worse

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 12  

Basically, Marvel has become like pre-Crisis DC, except that the stories are all in the "dark and gritty" vein and not very fun to look at at all.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version