Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: I Guess Squirrel Girl Can Lift Mjolnir Too (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 1  

And yes, if the magics inherent within Mjolnir judge Squirrel Girl as being worthy of wielding it, then yes she could lift it. 

In the same breath, there's no reason that Thor couldn't suddenly lose the ability to wield the hammer (through performing some unworthy act), at least until he finds a way to atone for his actions.

And there is no way... NO WAY... that Rulk would be able to wield the hammer. No matter how "kewl" it would be. If he's worthy, so's the Punisher, or Wolverine. Oh wait, I better not suggest the last one...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 2  

Myth should never be treated as "fact" when comparing, though in fan-dom myth is treated as iron-clad gospel. The idea of red hair would better be referenced as "Some myths that say Thor had red hair, but now that he's standing in front of me, I can see that it's actually blond."

••

It's nearly impossible to over-emphasize how DIFFERENT Thor was in the earliest stories, as compared to the character we came to know. He was, as stated up thread, Don Blake with the POWER of Thor, not really Thor himself. He refers to the real Thor in the third person, even after he begins to have Asgardian encounters.

And, of course, this means "Thor" was blonde because Don Blake was blonde!

Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 3  

That Thor/Red Hulk issue was brutal.  The only thing worse was the Red Hulk punching the Watcher.

While we're at it - another thing I have a problem with is the strength level of Spider-Man.

So the Enforcers and Man Mountain Marko are threats to him, but he can beat Firelord?  Really?  Wouldn't a lot of his battles (the Kingpin, Doctor Octopus, Electro, the Shocker, the Vulture, Kraven, Mysterio, etc.) pretty much be one-punch affairs then?  Once he gets his hands on those guys it should be over with.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 4  

It's nearly impossible to over-emphasize how DIFFERENT Thor was in the earliest stories, as compared to the character we came to know.

One problem is that many fans want an explanation for EVERYTHING.  And early on there were some things that changed, out of what may have appeared to be a whim (the Hulk becomes green, Thor's origin is changed, Captain America had been in suspended animation since WWII).  But the problem isn't when fan raise these questions, it's when writers start creating stories just to address these "issues".

Edited by Robert Bradley on 11 April 2013 at 10:29am
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 5  

One problem is that many fans want an explanation for EVERYTHING. And early on there were some things that changed, out of what may have appeared to be a whim (the Hulk becomes green, Thor's origin is changed, Captain America had been in suspended animation since WWII). But the problem isn't when fan raise these questions, it's when writers start creating stories just to address these "issues".

••

That problem comes in two parts. First, someone decides that something needs to be EXPLAINED. Nine times out of 10, this is really not a good idea, and "explanations" are really only complications.

But then comes Part Two -- once that door has been opened, there are seeming legions of writers who cannot resist going thru it again and again and again. Very often, it happens because Writer B want's to "fix" what Writer A did as a "fix". And then Writer C wants to "fix" that. And so on.

There's at least one writer of my acquaintance who started off down that path many years ago, and eventually reached a point were he was basically unable to write ANYTHING unless he was "fixing" something.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 6  

While we're at it - another thing I have a problem with is the strength level of Spider-Man.

So the Enforcers and Man Mountain Marko are threats to him, but he can beat Firelord? Really? Wouldn't a lot of his battles (the Kingpin, Doctor Octopus, Electro, the Shocker, the Vulture, Kraven, Mysterio, etc.) pretty much be one-punch affairs then? Once he gets his hands on those guys it should be over with.

Eh, I'm ok with the Firelord defeat since Spider-Man defeated a Firelord that had been weakened by being tricked into a exploding building and shortly after that, the heart of an exploding gas station.

In general though, I don't like Spider-Man interacting with cosmic entities like that bc it does stick out in comparison to his normal "street level" opponents.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 7  

Eh, I'm ok with the Firelord defeat since Spider-Man defeated a Firelord that had been weakened by being tricked into a exploding building and shortly after that, the heart of an exploding gas station.

That...really happened?

A guy named "FIRElord" was weakened by...explosions and fires?!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 8  

The implication of that story was that Spider-Man unleashed, with a full mad-on, pumped up on adrenaline, and not having any reason whatsoever to hold back can be a really, really dangerous guy.  That being said, I'm not sure that even Hulk or Thor should be able to knock out a herald of Galactus in a straight-up fistfight.  This would have been like having Spidey knock out the Juggernaut at the end of Amazing Spider-Man #230.  

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 9  

OK, I'm sure I'm wearing my lack of current Big Two" knowledge on my sleeve here... and I expect the answer is going to make me bang my head against the screen, but what is a Rulk?

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

Red Hulk.

James Elliott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 11  

Mjolnir in zero G would be frozen in position, every bit as much as if it was lying on the ground.

==========

Just to over-complicate things, if Mjolnir were in space above Earth as in the panels with Iron Man, to what position would Mjolnir be frozen? 

The Earth is orbiting the Sun.  Would Mjolnir be orbiting the Sun too?

The Sun is in an orbit around the center of the Milky Way.  Would Mjolnir orbit the orbit the center of the Milky Way too?

The Milky Way itself is in motion with respect to other galaxies.  Would Mjolnir share that motion?

If the answer yes to any of them, then Mjolnir isn't frozen.

On the other hand, if the answer is no to any of them, then very quickly Mjolnir disappears from Iron Man's view.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 12  

Just to over-complicate things, if Mjolnir were in space above Earth as in the panels with Iron Man, to what position would Mjolnir be frozen?

The Earth is orbiting the Sun. Would Mjolnir be orbiting the Sun too?

The Sun is in an orbit around the center of the Milky Way. Would Mjolnir orbit the orbit the center of the Milky Way too?

The Milky Way itself is in motion with respect to other galaxies. Would Mjolnir share that motion?

If the answer yes to any of them, then Mjolnir isn't frozen.

On the other hand, if the answer is no to any of them, then very quickly Mjolnir disappears from Iron Man's view.

••

Time to stop reading comings. And get a job writing for Marvel.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version