Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: I Guess Squirrel Girl Can Lift Mjolnir Too (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 12:18am | IP Logged | 1  

At least now I understand why Tom Brevort thought anyone could lift/wield Thor's hammer in space. (though I still think that's wrong)

There's a pair of enchanted gloves that will allow anyone to lift/use Thor's hammer, but those gloves are in Asgard and not readily available.
Outside of the gloves, I like Walt Simonson's idea that "worthy" would be criteria based on ancient Norse/Viking values, and that since the hammer was built to kill Frost giants, worthy would mean being ready and willing to kill your foes. This idea would be the reason why most superheroes wouldn't be "worthy".
Back to Top profile | search

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 4:07am | IP Logged | 2  

Whilst I love Beta-Ray Bill, Walt was right, he really did open a can of worms with that story. To my mind, Bill should be the only other one worthy to lift the hammer, and that includes Captain America and Superman. The more characters that can lift the hammer, the less special it makes Thor, and simply reduces Mjolnir to a tool.

And that Red Hulk bit reminds me of JB's story about his time at DC when everybody was saying their character was "Doomsday level powerful". There maybe a justification for being able to move Mjolnir in space, but he shouldn't be able to use it's magical properties. Pure wankery designed to make Rulk look "bad ass" with no care of what it does to Thor.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 5:07am | IP Logged | 3  

On the notion of Mjolnir in space. . .

This is where we see the whole central core of characters getting lost. What prevents anyone but Thor from lifting the Hammer is a magical enchantment. And magical enchantments, by their very nature, are, well, outside Nature. There are not "certain conditions" under which the enchantment is suspended, unless those conditions are themselves magical.

Mjolnir in zero G would be frozen in position, every bit as much as if it was lying on the ground.

(A "great bit" missed by this foolishness: imagine the pilot of an enemy space ship sees the Hammer just "hanging" in space and decides to destroy it by ramming. . . )

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 5:29am | IP Logged | 4  

What's funny about the Rulk-Thor fight was that during that time, in Thor's own book, they portrayed Thor as being more powerful than he appeared all these years, that he held back all this time...Even beating up Iron Man for creating the Thor Clone in Civil War...Then Rulk got ahold of him...and it was back to being The Punching Bag Of Thunder.....

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 5  

I like Walt Simonson's idea that "worthy" would be criteria based on ancient Norse/Viking values,

Not that I'm arguing against WS, but isn't this a bit of confusing realities?  I mean, Marvel Thor isn't the same as Norse mythology Thor.  Marvel Thor is obviously based on the Norse mythology but ultimately he's still a super hero so making the hammer worthy to those who are willing to kill their enemies seems wrong.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 6  

Thor has killed frost giants and the like, however. He's also been tempted to attack mortals for not respecting his godly authority. I think Walt's on the right track.

Edited by Robert White on 11 April 2013 at 7:14am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 7  

Marvel Thor isn't the same as Norse mythology Thor.

••

Yes, he is. IN THE MARVEL UNIVERSE.

This is why I think it was a mistake for Stan and Jack to respond to the readers who wanted to know where the "real" Thor was. The "answer" complicated Thor's backstory, and really accomplished not a whole lot. It would have been better, I think, if Stan had just ignored such questions (as he usually did) and played with the "real mythology" only when and if he wanted to.

As Roy Thomas put it, "some of those myths didn't happen".

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 8  

Another favorite comicbook hero being reduced to crap due to fanboy douchebaggery writers. 

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 9  

As Roy Thomas put it, "some of those myths didn't happen".

Roy Thomas quotes are one of my favorite things that pop up on the JBF. They always make me smile and/or chuckle.

As for the Red Norvell/Thor/Mjolnir issue, in The Mighty Thor #276, Red actually says something like, "wasn't the real Thor supposed to have red hair, anyway?"

I always found it odd that they'd even make mention of that.   
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 10  

As for the Red Norvell/Thor/Mjolnir issue, in The Mighty Thor #276, Red actually says something like, "wasn't the real Thor supposed to have red hair, anyway?"

I always found it odd that they'd even make mention of that.   

••

Sometimes it's surprising how far back the fan-speak can be found. The sort of wink wink nudge nudge writing that has become standard for far to many writers these days.

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 11  

Myth should never be treated as "fact" when comparing, though in fan-dom myth is treated as iron-clad gospel. The idea of red hair would better be referenced as "Some myths that say Thor had red hair, but now that he's standing in front of me, I can see that it's actually blond."

Paul Anthony Llossas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 12  

Which issue of "The Avengers" was that Iron Man scene from?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version