Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: I Guess Squirrel Girl Can Lift Mjolnir Too (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

I wonder, how many people, other than Thor and Odin, have lifted Mjolnir in the MU? Seems Odin's enchantment gets violated more often than Rob Liefeld's reputation....Thoughts on this...?
Back to Top profile | search

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 2  

Captain America is the only one I remember. I can't remember them ever establishing exactly how "worthy" is defined, but I'm sure I've missed a lot in the last couple of decades.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 3  

I think even Captain America shouldn't be able to lift it. It should only be Thor. I did like that in the JL/Avengers crossover, Wonder Woman could lift it but I see her as DC's Thor -- a demigod of sorts.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 4  

Beta Ray Bill, Dargo (future Thor), Eric Masterson (substitute Thor/Thunderstrike), and I guess the Hulk managed it a current storyline (drawn by Walt Simonson, so it gets a pass, right?).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 5  

Cap did lift it in a story many years back, IIRC.

Edited by Michael Hogan on 10 April 2013 at 6:51pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm not sure the current Simonson drawn storyline is all it
seems.....there are macguffins aplenty that trip you to that idea.

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

There was a corollary added to the "worthy" clause in the Avengers/JLA mini by Busiek/Perez.... Superman could lift it during a crisis but not casually after. I assume this covers Cap  and a few others lifting it as well. Basically a worthy class that's one rung down. Not sure if this is still in affect.

Hulk? That's weird.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 8  

I don't think anybody should be able to lift it except Thor and those occasional substitute Thors (Beta Ray Bill, etc.)

I like the idea that Captain America can lift it, but maybe it's one of those ideas that should have been hinted at but never actually shown to really happen.

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 9  

I like the idea that Captain America can lift it, but maybe it's one of those ideas that should have been hinted at but never actually shown to really happen. 

iii

I agree that it should have been left at a hint even if it was a cool one off moment.

It causes story problems if Thor and Cap are on the same Avengers team. It means Cap can have the power of Thor whenever he's separated from his hammer.

Further, it also starts breaking down the story conceit....if Thor is on a team why wouldn't each Avenger be tested for worthiness in a pinch if one other guy can do it? Something that doesn't beg an answer otherwise but kills the mystique when answered.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 10  

I think Cap lifting Mjolnir might be a moment best saved for an "imaginary story," rather than putting it within "real" continuity. It's a great What If? scenario, but, as David just said, it creates problems in the regular universe.

Years ago, I wrote a piece of fan-fiction which took place years in the future. Thor has long been gone (I hinted that he'd died somehow but didn't explain how), while Steve Rogers is older and retired from being Cap. When a huge threat occurs and other heroes are unable to defeat it, Cap goes down into an underground vault (owned by SHIELD, I think. I wrote the thing a long time ago and had forgotten about it until this thread reminded me), where he's had Thor's hammer stored for years (no, I don't know how they got it down there). He lifts it, thinking of the fact that he's always known he could use it, but has refused to do so unless it was absolutely necessary for one mortal man to wield such power. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 11  

Beta Ray Bill should have been the (single) exception that proved the rule.

I agree that Cap lifting it would be better in an imaginary story. Or have Thor musing that Cap might be able to lift it -- but never have it actually put to the test!

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2013 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 12  

I can't remember the whole story, but I think there was a human (reporter?  tv cameraman?) who was in love with Sif and was manipulated by Loki who managed to lift the hammer using magical gauntlets?  Red Norvell?

Edit to correct the spelling of his name and add the cover

Edited by Marc Foxx on 10 April 2013 at 9:06pm

Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version