Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Ordinary People (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 April 2013 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 1  

I, ahem,dream of the day I can afford my JB commission, as large as money permits, featuring the Endless in an Escheresque setting.

••

I'm afraid that would be one I'd pass on, Joe. Too many characters with which I am not familiar and, to be honest, have no interest in.

Back to Top profile | search

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2013 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 2  

Jim Rhodes was a strong supporting character in Ironman. As a superhero he's generally treated as "not the Ironman anyone prefers."

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 3  

You raise a salient point, David. How many of these characters who've been raised from supporting cast to superhero ever become the "(blank) anyone prefers"? Few, if any, of these characters really take on a life of their own, or become anything other than "the other (fill-in-the-blank). So what's the point of having so many Captain Marvel, Jr.s mucking up the gene pool? Rhodes is probably the only supporting character I can think of whose has taken on a life of his own, and even then he'll always be "that other Ironman", or, worse, "the black Ironman".

Besides, if all your supporting cast become superpowered, who is the hero going to save?

Edited by Glen Keith on 07 April 2013 at 10:15am

Simon Williams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2013 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 4  

Simon, I know you meant that link for JB, but when I clicked it, there was no 
informational text on the page.

--

Thanks for the heads up, Wallace! Here's a better link, with more information on the character.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2013 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 5  

The promotion of ordinary folk in the supporting cast to special folk is a little akin to the morphing of the look of characters towards the generic, comicbook norm, no matter how specific their look or how substantially it might vary from the comic-book norm.

In the case of Heather MacNeil Hudson we got both a promotion to a super-hero and a morph to a big-boobed,glamour model look.

Edited by Peter Martin on 07 April 2013 at 3:13pm

Simon Williams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2013 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

Very true re: Heather MacNeil Hudson... and JB, although he made her leader of Alpha Flight never intended her to be in costume from what i believe!

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2013 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

In the Seventies (Conway era) the hole Spider-Man's supporting cast was involved in not so ordinary situations.
That was the beginning of the end!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2013 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 8  

The lack of an interesting, normal supporting cast was always one of my criteria that the superhero book was no good.  It's also one of the many reasons I have not bought any superhero comics for several years now.

I don't mind heroes talking with other super powered or fantastic creatures provided that was what the book was about.  Team books like the Avengers of Fantastic Four are obviously going to interact with the Inhumans or Lava Men, but Spider-Man and Daredevil shouldn't.  Likewise, a team book often has little room to juggle additional characters making a normal supporting cast superfluous, but at least the Avengers had Edwin Jarvis and the FF had people like Wille Lumpkin, the owner of the Baxter Building, Alicia Masters, and various girlfriends of the Human Torch.

Having normal people in a title that interact with the main character is a major way that keeps the title "grounded" and relatable.  It's this that distinguishes superheroes from being total fantasy.  It also makes those fantastic elements that do make it totally eye popping.  Once you have too many super type folks in the mix, it makes other characters seem ordinary and less inspiring.  I think this has a large part to do with certain characters with fairly ordinary powers - like Hawkman - seem less spectacular because he can "only" fly.

Don Lockard
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

Quite appalled to see it being incorporated into the latest Spider-Movie!
••

I almost spit my beer all over my keyboard when I saw this trailer. I really don't understand whats going on here (No, I don't read the latest issues for I find that they suck. Doomsday will be the first 'new' comic I will have read in a very long time. ). I refused to see a movie that rewrote the history of one of my favorite characters. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2013 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

The first eight issues or so of the original STATIC series had a
wonderful balance of super-powered action and "civilian" interaction.

It's a shame Richie gained superpowers in the cartoon.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version