Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Awww man... RIP Carmine Infantino (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2013 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 1  

Carmine Infantino and his contemporaries crossed my mind many times today and I started to think about how many of DC's Silver Age greats have gone. Infantino, Gardner Fox, John Broome, Gil Kane, Joe Kubert. There aren't many left.   
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2013 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 2  

Such a cool list of creators Aaron! Joe Kubert Presents has been amazing.

Joe Alexander
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2013 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 3  

When I was a kid, I thought I could run faster by imitating the way The Flash ran, as drawn by Carmine Infantino, which seemed to have him leaning forward as he ran and leaning back when he stopped. Not sure it made me any faster but it made me believe I was by being privy to this technique.

In my teens I foolishly started to not enjoy his work as much, and would lament if he was doing a fill in issue or taking over a title I liked. Then I matured and saw his work with new eyes and all of a sudden, I loved his work. Adam Strange, The Flash, Batman, his
work on Dial H for Hero, Star Wars--just beautiful.
Back to Top profile | search

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2013 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

Charles Valderrama wrote:
Having Joe Orlando as an instructor in College, I had the pleasure of meeting Carmine Infantino on a day he subbed for Mr. Orlando.

Wonderful man and he was very straight forward about the fundamentals of comic book storytelling. Very helpful with advice pertaining to the assignment given to us that week.

That is the worst part of it.  I very much doubt that many of the current crop of active artists would be able to provide such advice.  I'd rather take some criticism from a man like Infantino than from one of the whiz kids who're working in today's industry.  He worked in the comicbook industry, no goldbricking it while others raved about how great he was.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2013 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 5  

Historical question for JB and then others: If Carmine Infantino had not drawn FLASH, would the Silver Age still have kicked off and if not, would that possibly mean there wouldn't be a Marvel Comics?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Derek Cavin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2013 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

Sad to hear. I just wondered this morning if Carmine was still alive.   Unique artwork.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 April 2013 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 7  

Historical question for JB and then others: If Carmine Infantino had not drawn FLASH, would the Silver Age still have kicked off and if not, would that possibly mean there wouldn't be a Marvel Comics?

••

In that first SHOWCASE appearance, Infantino's pencils are so overwhelmed by Kubert's inks, he might as well NOT have drawn those first two stories! But the end result is one of the best looking comics DC ever produced.

The Flash returned to SHOWCASE eight months later, which is about the time it would take for the sales to come in on that first issue, plus the time to prepare another outing. So, since Carmine was practically invisible the first time, I think we can safely judge it was the CHARACTER fans were responding to -- and that would have been very typical of the time.

And f**k you, Sam Raimi!!

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2013 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 8  

And f**k you, Sam Raimi!!

Agreed.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2013 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 9  

Sad loss.

I'm a big fan of Carmine Infantino's art and must confess to really enjoying his work on Spider-Woman.

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2013 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 10  

Very sad news indeed.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2013 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 11  

I always feel like an oddball when Carmine Infantino's name and work come up.  To me, he was a Marvel artist.  Nova, Star Wars, Spider-Woman...that's how I discovered him and how he's etched in my mind.

I realize his more memorable and important work came at DC but he'll always be the quintessential artist of the Man Called Nova to me with his Star Wars stuff way up there too.

R.I.P.

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2013 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 12  

John Byrne:

QUOTE:
In that first SHOWCASE appearance, Infantino's pencils are so overwhelmed by Kubert's inks, he might as well NOT have drawn those first two stories! But the end result is one of the best looking comics DC ever produced.

Did Infantino do full detailed pencils for that story, or was it more of a breakdowns/finishing process?

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version