Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: JB’s Fantastic Four Run (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2013 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

I do miss the days when I could take it for granted that Mr. Fantastic won't  stretch his NECK.(looks like a buffoon every time someone draws him doing it now) I'm also confused why so many artists insist The Thing is 7ft tall? Did I miss a storyline involving the further "evolution" of his form? Byrne's FF will always be the standard for me visually speaking.  
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2013 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 2  

I can't begin to put into words the impact that JB's run on the FANTASTIC FOUR had on my life at the time, but I certainly have had a renewed appreciation for what he managed to do with that title.

The best analogy I can come up with, for now, is that the original 100+ issues of Lee/Kirby FF was like one, big, malleable sculpture of clay.  Over the years, other artists bent, molded or changed the original Lee/Kirby sculpt, and in the process added some questionable or unnecessary layers, so by the time JB took over as writer & artist, the FF sort-of looked like the original sculpture, but it had morphed into something else over those 10+ odd years... maybe not unrecognizable, but certainly different.

JB was able to come along, shave-off and chip-away at these layers & changes, and get back as close as possible to the original Lee & Kirby design.  Then, he ever-so-slightly was able to carefully & gently add some respectful detail here... a little extra texture there... maybe some subtle colors where none existed before... and give us a new sculpt, that, while it definitely had a John Byrne look and feel on the outside, the undeniable Lee & Kirby power and form still shone through.

That's how I see it.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 01 April 2013 at 6:36pm

James Lansberry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2013 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 3  

Managed to get the Byrne FF omnibus for $40 last week.  I plan on re-reading the entire run again; spring/summer months always tend to bring back some kind of nostalgia factor back into play -- when I could read good comics and not have a care in the world. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2013 at 1:47am | IP Logged | 4  

I now own three Omnibus editions - Walt Simonson's Thor, the Iron Man one just released, and JB's FF.

All beautiful to look at. From the best time to be collecting comics - when I was a kid.

(I really believe that the '60's and late '70's / early to mid '80's were the best periods of comics ever. I wonder if we will ever get back to those times)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2013 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 5  

James,great taste! I have those three plus the Uncanny X-Men Byrne/Claremont vol 1(Still waiting for vol 2!) FF Vol 2 Lee/Kirby,Frank Miller`s Daredevil,both volumes and the first Perez/Wolfman Teen Titans volume.I must add that the colouring on the Walt Thor volume is simply beautiful.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 02 April 2013 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 6  

Thanks, Nathan. I really thought Infant Terrible from the Kirby run was great and always loved this annual. 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2013 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 7  

I'm also confused why so many artists insist The Thing is 7ft tall?

---

In my mind, Ben is slightly shorter than Reed.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2013 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 8  

Oh Bill, I really wanted that Teen Titans Omnibus but funds wouldn't allow.

For JB's FF run I have all the issues starting at the second Galactus issue (along with most of the ones before that), but as I was missing the first part, and a fellow JBFer found it cheap in a charity store, i had to take the plunge.

Omnibus editions and essentials are really helping to fill the gaps in my collection. And I really don't mind Essentials as they are pretty much of the quality that I was first exposed to through Marvel UK

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2013 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 9  

Yes James,times are hard,but at the time i was quite flush and working overtime! 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2013 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 10  

The noted heights are interesting. The Thing most definitely should not be very tall, but I'd have thought he's a bit taller than 5'10", just because I'd be looking down on him! For some reason I have Reed pegged as just being an everyman 6'. These are minor quibbles -- the relative heights are the important thing, with the Thing not being the tallest member.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2013 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 11  

The noted heights are interesting. The Thing most definitely should not be very tall, but I'd have thought he's a bit taller than 5'10", just because I'd be looking down on him! For some reason I have Reed pegged as just being an everyman 6'. These are minor quibbles -- the relative heights are the important thing, with the Thing not being the tallest member.

So...where is your quibble? If you agree the Thing should not be the tallest member, but you had Reed pegged at 6', then why wouldn't 5'10" be Ben's height? Unless you have Johnny pegged at taller than both of them (which I don't think he's ever been portrayed).

Edited by Joel Tesch on 02 April 2013 at 9:50am

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2013 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 12  

Loved the JB on the FANTASTIC FOUR... especially the Death of Galactus storyline. Also loved that JB was able to incorporate most, if not all, of the characters that were associated with the FANTASTIC FOUR from the early Lee and Kirby years. Really miss JB's run.... hasn't been as good since he left.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 02 April 2013 at 9:50am
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version