Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: What Would J’Onn J’Onzz Say? - 03.19.2013 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I can't believe how much I love this piece. So much going on and it doesn't feel cluttered.

The details on the aliens are great and hope we see JB draw them again in the future.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

… they allow the possibility of all sorts of fascinating mash-ups that we *could* see in comics but almost never do.

••

Yes, I have mentioned before that I am surprised by what a small percentage of the pieces are "crossovers". I expected such drawings to be the bulk of the commissions.

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Interesting.

We often see what board members would like to see in the way of commissions, whether their personal finances allow for personal indulgences or not. Myself, I'm all for commissions inspired by golden age books.

I can't say I've seen much of JB's commission preferences. Perhaps sharing them with the board can lead to something interesting ... in the "Where no commissioner has gone before" vein.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I would love to hear some of your ideas as well.  I think many people have a hard time imagining of what might work in a crossover piece.  A few suggestions would be helpful for sure.

Chris Ryall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think many people have a hard time imagining of what might work in a crossover piece.

=======

Nah, it's easy. You just go license a visually appealing property like Mars Attacks. Then you contrive a big crossover event across multiple properties with multiple licensors, and you further complicate things by doing covers with unrelated characters altogether, and persuade John to revisit one of his older characters in a cover, and voila, Mars Attacks ROG-2000, which is happily hanging here in my house now.

But really, since I haven't had much time to be here more than the occasional lurk, I've been thinking about this the last couple days after seeing that Mars Attacks Batman piece. It's a great commission, nicely designed. And it made me think that the key to a good crossover piece is this:

- pick a few characters you really like, rather than trying to cram everything you've ever thought you liked into one (no "Legion of Super-Heroes meets the Avengers East, West and Great Lakes")
- Pick the characters who you loved in days past and still love. I'm sure there was a time I though Dazzler or Ambush Bug were great characters, but if I'd had them tattooed on my arm back when I did, I would've long since taken steel wool to the skin to remove them. 
- Pick characters JB draws well. I know that's pretty much everything, but the ones that really stand out -- the Thing, Silver Surfer, Batman...
- Pick someone who was designed by Kirby. Those costumes are eternal and will always look larger than life on your wall
- Pick a scene out of a beloved comic book, preferably with some good shiny tech background
- Throw in Spider-Man somewhere. Spider-Man should be somewhere in every commission done by anyone ever

Which, shit, I realize means if I did a commission, it'd end up being a redo of Steranko's FF 130, my first comic, only with an FF consisting of Nova, Ben Grimm, Iron Man, and Wonder Man (in the Kirby red and green, of course) fighting a Frightful Four of Doctor Doom, Sandman (Flint Marko, not Morpheus), the Joker and the Creeper. With, uh, Spider-Man. Which is ludicrous. 

Oh, and I think your commission should be ludicrous.

Now I just need to find a way to license all those characters from Marvel and DC...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Daniel Beziz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 3:54am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Now that's a great post !
I read it 3 times and I must have imagined a few crossovers of my own (and I never thought I'd be interested in one before !).
Oh, and I can't stop smiling, it's a good sign...

Thank you JB for the art, and thank you Chris for the post. I may be getting broke, but I'm getting there with a smile...

Edited by Daniel Beziz on 21 March 2013 at 3:55am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I can't say I've seen much of JB's commission preferences.

••

You've seen nothing else!

Jim sends me the latest request, and the first thing I ask myself is "Would this be fun to draw?" "Fun" in this case goes beyond my simple physical enjoyment of drawing various characters. I also look for scenes that challenge my imagination, combinations of characters that are out of the ordinary (at least some of the time), and, importantly, requests that properly respect the characters. If enough of my buttons aren't pushed, I politely decline the request.

And, sure, there have been quite a few of those, over the years. But, as a "stroll" thru the Gallery will show, there have been a lot more that got my juices flowing in just the right way!

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

If enough of my buttons aren't pushed, I politely decline the request.

Out of interest, does that happen often?

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

When it happens once, it is painful. ;)

Benny Hasa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Why 'o why can't I stop looking at this?

Time to save my pesos to get another commission.

Honestly, I've never seen these aliens drawn better than they are here. Damn, this is nice.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Couldn't resist. . .

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yes, please.  Followed up by an Avengers crossover after the Martians clean up those inferior DC heroes.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version