Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: OT: Darkseid and Thanos (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 1  

David Plunkert wrote:
I am now omnipotent. What should I do with such almighty power? The answer to that is really quite simple: Anything I want. Anything. There is nothing I need to worry on, for I am Thanos. And Thanos is supreme. Supreme. But more importantly today's traffic is moving bumper to bumper on 5th Avenue. If you want to get to work on time you should plan to take an alternate route.

This concept of "ThanosChopper4" gave me a belly laugh!
Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 2  

Spidey Super-Stories was aimed at 8-9 year-olds? YIKES! I honestly assumed that they were aimed at 5-6 year-olds. I started reading comics at 9, and I wouldn't have been caught dead reading that title.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 3  

I started reading American superhero comics when I was 6. At that time, they were pretty much ALL aimed at kids a couple of years either side of 8 (despite what Joe Quesada thinks!). But, while the stories were simplistic and even "goofy" by today's standards, they did not write DOWN to the audience.

Which is exactly what SPIDEY SUPER STORIES did (even that TITLE!!) and what so many have done since when trying for the "all ages" market.

A problem, of course, is that so many of the writers, artists and editors working in comics today weren't reading (weren't even ALIVE!) the last time truly "all ages" comics were being produced.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 4  

As far as I've read, John Romita spearheaded the "Spidey Super Stories" project and he has said, "We worked under the guidance of child psychologists to create these books," a collaboration with PBS and The Electric Company TV show. In the wake of Sesame Street, there was a certain zeitgeist in the early/mid-70s to use existing forms of children's entertainment for the primary purpose of education. I understand "Spidey Super Stories" was fairly successful in that regard, but unfortunately it helped emphasize a growing trend to exclude younger readers as fundamental to the overall audience for comicbooks.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 10:25pm | IP Logged | 5  

The comics of my youth really aided the development of my vocabulary. The
writers didn't assume an 8- or 9-year-old wouldn't know the words they
were using; if anything, they must've assumed we'd figure them out if we
didn't know them.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 7