Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: OT: Darkseid and Thanos (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 1  

In simpler times you could write a patricidal genocidal skeleton-with-tits humping scourge of the universe into a comic book and not have to worry about the kids using the internet to read up on what he's really like

••

After SPIDEY SUPER STORIES had Storm make an appearance, Chris Claremont and I were determined to use an issue of MARVEL TEAM-UP to tell the "real" story of what happened.

As with so many other things, simply didn't get around to it before we both left the title.

Back to Top profile | search

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 2  

I wish that MTU would've happened! What an awesome companion issue that would've made in anyone's comic collection. (Would that SSS ish be stored with it's own title or in the MTU box? Argh! TWO COPIES!)

PS:
"Dumbening."
hehe.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 3  

The Spidey Super Stories issue this comes from (#39, from March, 1979) was published a full three years after Patsy Walker became the Hellcat so obviously it's a case of changing her name in an attempt to make her more appropriate for younger readers.

Here's the cover with a red-headed Patsy as "The Cat" -

As a kid I read Spidey Super Stories for a total of one issue.  It was just to juvenile for me (I was 10 at the time).  But still, earlier issues have some great John Romita cover art featuring both popular and obscure Marvel characters from the mid-70's.

- edited for clarity sake

Edited by Robert Bradley on 16 March 2013 at 11:14am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 4  

Back to Thanks/Darkseid. Darkseid also has an impressive
cartoon presence.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 5  

It's amusing to me that someone thought Spidey Super Stories was necessary. I guess some folks found X-Men, Daredevil and the main Spider-Titles too edgy in 1979?

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 6  

It was necessary...I read it as a 5- 6 year old. The current issues of X-Men, Daredevil and ASM at the time, while fun to look at the pictures, were way too over my head storywise. Spidey Super Stories was perfect for me at that age.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 7  

I was introduced to Thanos and Darkseid around the same time when I started reading comics -- Darkseid though SUPER POWERS and HUNGER DOGS, and Thanos though picking up THE LIFE OF CAPTAIN MARVEL and the two annuals that wrapped up Starlin's Seventies story lines. Darkseid was intrinsically the superior character of course, and Thanos the suspiciously similar replacement. 

It might be nostalgia, but I've long thought Thanos among the best of the Darkseid rip offs. He wasn't a king or anything, just a psycho who killed nearly everyone on his home world, and his motivations were so specific and perverse. I tuned out during the character's revival in the Nineties. Definitely preferred him in a finite story. 

The funny thing, of the two characters, Darkseid is almost sane and relatable. Lord knows I wouldn't want to live under Darkseid's boot heel, but Thanos is an unpredictable spree killer on a cosmic scale. 

All the other grey-skinned galactic warlords, they do nothing for me. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tony Centofanti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 10:52pm | IP Logged | 8  

I've read that Starlin actually intended Thanos to be a Metron knock-off, but Roy Thomas told him to bulk the character up, and he ended up looking more like Thanos.

edit: Found the Link!
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2010/06/24/comic-bo ok-legends-revealed-266/

Edited by Tony Centofanti on 16 March 2013 at 10:54pm

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 9  

Funny how I thought about things before I knew the behind
the scene background on characters. I never saw
similarities between Darkseid and Thanos as a kid, so I
didn't see Thanks as a clone. But when Mongul showed up
in DC I thought he was a rip off of Thanos.

Edited by Kip Lewis on 17 March 2013 at 7:39am

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

And Mongul was also created - visually, at least - by Jim Starlin. Len
Wein scripted Mongul's initial appearances.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 11  

Going back to Thom Price's post on the opening page, I can agree with the idea that Darkseid can work best as a manipulator.  He has plans, but knows better than to risk his own hide getting what he wants when he can have a minion or two do the heavy lifting.  The pilot issue of Forever People that Kirby put out is the prototype Darkseid story.

Thanos is a completely different animal: a cosmic serial killer.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 12  

You know, and I've said this about a lot of supervillains, I wish Marvel and DC would release Essential/Showcase volumes featuring the chronological adventures of supervillains only. I'd pay money to read an "Essential Galactus" volume or "Showcase Presents Darkseid".

Seeing the chronological adventures of the likes of Galactus, Octopus and Darkseid would be something I'd like to see.

EDIT - I have used Bing to search for websites detailing the chronological appearances of supervillains, but I've had no luck. With a character like Darkseid, I'd like to read EVERY adventure he has had.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 17 March 2013 at 1:32pm

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version