Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: OT: Darkseid and Thanos (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 1  

Pardon the language, but this justifies it - what the holy fucking hell was THAT from?  That reads more like one of the weird comics you find in some dusty dream than an actual real-world comic. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 2  

reads like it's from Spidey Super Stories - set more in the Electric Company universe than the Marvel Universe - or the actual real-world
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 3  

I'm glad he wanted the cosmos to know it was HIS helicopter by painting his name on it.
Back to Top profile | search

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 4  

"I am now omnipotent. What should I do with such almighty power? The answer to that is really quite simple: Anything I want. Anything. There is nothing I need to worry on, for I am Thanos. And Thanos is supreme. Supreme. But more importantly today's traffic is moving bumper to bumper on 5th Avenue. If you want to get to work on time you should plan to take an alternate route. "

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 5  

Yeah, it's from SPIDEY SUPER STORIES, a series guilty of many sins.

Among them, Roger Stern used to get a big vein throbbing in his forehead when he contemplated SPIDEY. This was, he pointed out, a book supposedly targeted at SESAME STREET "graduates". Kids who were eight or nine years old. "When I was eight," Rog used to say, "I was reading comics that had words like 'invulnerable' in them!" On SPIDEY, the "rule" was no more than five or six words in a balloon, no more than two syllables per word. (Wonder how they snuck in "forever"?)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 6  

BTW - Re: Doombots and Darkseid's avatars; JB came up with both of those ideas, IIRC.

••

Doombots have been around since the good doctor's very first appearance!

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 7  

I wish they would do a collection of those old Spidey Super Stories. My mother bought me a subscription when she found out how much I loved Spidey. I preferred reading Amazing but any Spider-Man was good Spider-Man when I was eight.  
Thanos loses the Cosmic Cube and just says, "Drat!" simplier times and simple writing. 

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 8  

• In simpler times kids could wear a Jughead crown beanie without fear of persecution
  • In simpler times Patsy Walker realized that having 'hell' as part of her codename wasn't good P.R.
  • In simpler times cosmic cubes weren't sentient and certainly didn't talk back to you, they just sat there and did what you wanted
  • In simpler times you could write a patricidal genocidal skeleton-with-tits humping scourge of the universe into a comic book and not have to worry about the kids using the internet to read up on what he's really like

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 16 March 2013 at 9:38am

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 9  

John Byrne wrote:
...Wonder how they snuck in "forever"?...

"Unexpected" also slipped by the editor that day.

Rob Ocelot wrote:
...In simpler times kids could wear a Jughead crown beanie without fear of persecution...

Yeah, but not in the 1970's! As a kid from that period, I can tell you that only in fiction could that happen -- Especially a "Jughead" beanie with a large feather sticking out the top!! No way a kid would have lived that one down in the real world!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 10  

I love Spidey Super Stories... Those things are truly trippy... 

That may be Greer Nelson, the original Cat, rather than Patsy Walker. The claw emblem on her costume would suggest so.

I do like your observations about the Cube and Thanos, Rob. Simpler times indeed... sigh...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 11  

Hey! I used to have that issue of Spidey Super Stories.
I had a whack of them but got rid of them a million years ago. Wish I kept them though, the covers by John Romita are great.

Didn't like Thanos OR Darkseid as a kid, but Michael Ironside's performances as Darkseid in animated form gives D the edge!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 12  

Thanos loses the Cosmic Cube and just says, "Drat!" simplier times and simple writing.

••

Thing is, the times were no longer all that "simple". This is, after all, after GREEN LANTER & GREEN ARROW had cast its seemingly permanent shadow across superhero comics.

Compare this issue to the other books being published by Marvel at the same time, and see why that vein would throb in Roger Stern's head. "Simple" became "condescending", and part of the ongoing dumbening of America!

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version