Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41
Topic: Uhmmm. . . . ? (Now with FREE Art Lessons from Erik Larsen!) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 March 2013 at 5:18am | IP Logged | 1  

The characters seem slightly more exaggerated than your style in the 80's…

••

Again. . .

Back to Top profile | search

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2013 at 5:40am | IP Logged | 2  

Funnily enough, I see the reverse. I think of the 80's stuff as slightly more cartoony and smoother (a style I find more pleasing), while the modern stuff is a bit more realistic and slightly more angular.

Which just goes to show that the fundamentals aside, everything else is subjective. Most people are probably better off not trying their hand at amateur art analysis, as the best we can do is to simply confuse the artist! Or insult the artist, in Larsen's case.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2013 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 3  

Jodi and Robert,

I can't imagine just how deranged a mind is to threaten someone because they like a particular artist.  In fact, outside of the memory of nuts burning Beatles records and outrage over Bertrand Russell, I am having a hard time to think of anything like that.  Of course, no one has yet to burn any old Byrne X-Men or Fantastic Four comics but perhaps that's coming.  The ultimate correction?  

Edited by Brennan Voboril on 24 March 2013 at 6:56am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 March 2013 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 4  

I can't imagine just how deranged a mind is to threaten someone because they like a particular artist.

••

The individual doesn't have to be "deranged". Just puffed up by "internet courage". The "information highway" has created its own kind of "highwaymen", striking safely from anonymity, but lacking anything like the degree of character -- even BAD character -- to act upon their threats.

They are like an ant, standing on one side of the Grand Canyon, and yelling at an anteater on the other side "Go on! Take your best shot! I dare you!"

Best ignored.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2013 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 5  

Best ignored.

Indeed. To be honest, when some celebrities, like Noel Edmonds, tracked down their trolls, they appeared to be cowardly and pitiful people.

I had an abusive message on my Facebook a while back. I had made a sincere and non-abusive comment about why I thought the British Monarchy wasn't a fair system (and this was on a discussion page about republicanism). I received an abusive message, but didn't even bother responding in any way. The person sending it was probably one of those ants Mr. Byrne mentioned.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2013 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 6  

Yes,Noel Edmonds and Richard Bacon both celebrities over here tracked down their trolls in a tv programme,the Bacon one was particularly nasty threatening his wife and children,as Robbie said,when tracked down the trolls were the stereotypical sad loner types,and not particularly `threatening` but behind the shield of a computer screen they were big men.
We recently had the case of Benedict Cumberbatch(Sherlock) having his every movement at home tweeted on Twitter as it happened,it turned out to be some loopy neighbour with too much time on her hands.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2013 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 7  

I think the whole subset of delusional comic book fans that we have to deal with, comes into play when things like the baiting Larsen does, is getting such a reaction in this thread.  When you have a guy like Larsen "poking the bear" over a several year period, those that have no real voice in comics, gets their actions validated when someone like Larsen does it.  Guys that make up fake twitter accounts and people who send threatening messages feel what they do is OK. Because, I mean after all, if you don't like someone, cyber attack them, play God and go out of your way to target someone.

I think why this has gone on for so many pages is because people on here that post on a regular basis, have had some nasty messages sent to them. They feel protective when JB is attacked because they themselves have had it happen to them in a lesser degree.  I know that is how I feel. People would love to see JB do conventions again. But after seeing what people do, I would NEVER do a convention if I were JB. And that is a damn shame.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Simon Williams
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2013 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 8  

"I honestly do not understand the artists who take on an established character and do it "their way". Sure, there are artistic differences. And, sure, occasionally an artist will actually be hired to bring his/her "look" to a character (as I was with Superman, for instance). But when it's just a monthly gig, not a reboot, not a reinvention, not any of the terms we have introduced to the industry of late -- well, what's the point?

I have been most impressed over the years by artists who step into a new gig and, without sacrificing their own distinctive styles, do so more or less seamlessly. Neal Adams on Batman, for instance. Altho Neal eventually was allowed to make his powerful presence felt, and to steer the characters into different directions artistically, when he first arrived he drew on model. Altho there there was no mistaking his style for that of Carmine Infantino, for instance, there was also no question that they were both drawing the same character. That they were both, essentially, working from the same "live model"."

__

I agree big time with this. It especially annoys me on Hulk titles these days. With the series being drawn by so many different artists these days, there is so much inconsistancy with the character. In one issue, the classic green savage Hulk will be drawn with the 70's Sal Buscema "mop" style haircut, and then the next issue another artist will have drawn him with the Gray Hulk "Frankenstein" look. It's like the style guides have been thrown out of the window. 

This is one reason I am such a fan of John Byrne's work... by using both the original grey Hulk, and the original lumpy, oat-meal Thing during his runs on Hulk and the FF, he established them as parts of continuity.. whereas before I (and probably others) considered them just early artistic evolution/styles of the characters.

If I was an editor, I'd be a right stickler to work for! :D

Edited by Simon Williams on 24 March 2013 at 12:46pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2013 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 9  

Going back to that Internet Courage theme, I can see how it works.  People have no real connection with what their words and virtual "actions" may be doing to those on the receiving end at this time.  Having been on the receiving end of some of it during my college years, I can no longer make the excuse for it.  It's sad to see someone like Erik Larsen engaging in a little bit of that bad habit now.  He really must have a lot of time on his hands.

(I also suspect that he's having a bit of a "meltdown" at this point.  Why else is he picking JB's nits?)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 41
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version