Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: Uhmmm. . . . ? (Now with FREE Art Lessons from Erik Larsen!) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 1  

The simple reality is that once an artist puts his/her work out in public, it's pretty much fair game for anyone who wants to say anything at all about it. One HOPES comments will be, at least, constructive, but we do not live in a perfect world.
Back to Top profile | search

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 2  

"Wasn't that the work of the customers, though?  The customers who built him up into a superstar when he was at Marvel?  You can't blame a company for publishing a popular artist and letting comic shops and fans buy his stuff by the truckload."

Yes and no.  In those day there was an out of control speculator mentality to the comic buying audience.  

I can remember shopping at Forbidden Planet on Van Nuys Blvd. and seeing men who were not regulars come in and buy literally pallets of Jim Lee's X-Men #1.  People were going hog wild.  Today these issues sit in dollar bins all over the world.  

There are many factors to this and obviously the publishers are in it to make money but, for me, what created someone like a Rob Liefeld or a McFarlane is the era they came from - the speculator era of super-star artists and Image was created by this era.  If we look back at the 1960s there were no super-star artists at the time.  It was unheard of.

I think the marketing of super-stars and a company of "Marvel super-stars gone rebel" was a media myth in large part.   Wizard, a fanatical publication that pumped up the speculator orgy all it could, had a lot to do with this.  The idea that someone like Rob Liefeld was a super-star is beyond belief to me.  It reminds me of Top 40 radio where "hits" were manufactured by playing the songs over and over and over until you "liked" them.  

Growing roses was more like growing money to me.  I can't think of one of these Image guys who created anything that will stand the test of time.  Have you seen Jim Lee's costume redesigns?  They're ugly.  Maybe because he is a bug mucky muck no one will tell him but I would be happy to.  Who else is still around from the Image founders?  Offhand the only one I can think of is McFarlane.  I look back and the lack of creativity at Image is sad to think of.  Hordes of speculators making these people super-stars is also sad when you think of real comic greats languishing without work today.   

I don't have any great answers or ideas but this is my opinion of it all.

Larsen was over the line and had a personal vendetta.  He was not just making an art critique.  Sorry but anyone who thinks he was hasn't read his Twitter comments.  

It sort of reminds me of the "Jack the Hack" stuff we heard of when Kirby returned to Marvel.  

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 3  

I can remember shopping at Forbidden Planet on Van Nuys Blvd. and seeing men who were not regulars come in and buy literally pallets of Jim Lee's X-Men #1.

And as they did that, TRUE fans who may have wanted to buy the issues because they were genuinely interested in the X-Men were deprived of those issues. It seems wrong.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

Can't imagine who could've been 'deprived' of that issue... Jim Lee's X-Men #1 was printed and reprinted so many times... which is why so many issues ARE in the dollar bins these days!!!

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

Charles said:
which is why so many issues ARE in the 
dollar bins these days.

Not the only reason, surely.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

I never cared for Jim Lee's art or Claremont's over the top writing but I would not correct either man's efforts.  

:)

Pascal LISE
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 7  

I appreciate Larsen professional insights.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 8  

I appreciate Larsen professional insights.

There is nothing professional about the "insights" that prompted this thread.

Edited by Ronald Joseph on 22 March 2013 at 4:20pm

Pascal LISE
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 9  

You must be confused.
This thread drifted to Erik Larsen being lynched.

I may agree or disagree with him but I welcome intructive viewpoints in discussions.
Same goes with some of John's opinions.

Can't quite say the same for many of the opinions that have been expressed in this thread, unfortunately.

Edited by Pascal LISE on 22 March 2013 at 4:37pm

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 10  

Please, Pascal, since you have stepped in to clear the air... Explain what is professional about the twitter posts and art corrections that Larsen has done which no one else here seems to see.

Pascal LISE
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 11  

Which one specifically?

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 12  

You must be confused.

I am actually quite proud to count myself among those here who aren't confused.

...or being deliberately obtuse...

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version