Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: Uhmmm. . . . ? (Now with FREE Art Lessons from Erik Larsen!) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 1  

I have not seen the correction but I can not imagine anyone thinking Erik Larsen could ever fix anything in a drawing of The Thing by John Byrne.
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 2  

Erik Larsen critiqued and corrected art by Neal Adams. Words. Fail.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Chris Rayman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 3  

Nevermind.

Words fail me.

(As well, obviously.  I didn't see Stephen's above post when I made mine.)

Edited by Chris Rayman on 13 March 2013 at 8:41pm

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 12:26am | IP Logged | 4  

Erik Larsen is completely tone deaf.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 1:03am | IP Logged | 5  

Can Erik Larsen come to Sweden and reedit Ingmar Bergman movies?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 6  

Critiquing is one thing, even Neal Adams isn't perfect, but "correcting"
without being asked to isn't right.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 7  

My main problem is that there is an arrogance about Erik Larsen's comments and actions that isn't warranted.

In the past he has picked apart George Perez's art, and here he is doing it to John Byrne and Neal Adams. He redraws JB's artwork like he's some teacher correcting a student's papers. If Larsen's work was at least on a par to those he is criticizing it would be different, but this is like Michael Bay telling Alfred Hitchcock about how to direct a film.

I wonder, does Larsen think he's really at the level of the guys he criticizes?

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 8  

Playing mind-reader (my apologies), I think Erik feels his longevity and amassed 'knowledge' justifies it.

What bothers me is that there should be no 'wrong' way to do things in a creative field (and especially comics). It's all about personal taste; if folk don't like 'tangents' (eye roll), then they'll avoid that particular artist's work and move on.

Screw the 'rules' is what I say!

Edited by Greg Woronchak on 12 March 2013 at 8:30am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 9  

I found that Larsen album on his Facebook page where he "corrects" JB's artwork:

"Playing God"

••

Hmm.

I get a "Currently Unavailable" error message.

Hmm. . .

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 10  

Playing mind-reader (my apologies), I think Erik feels his longevity and amassed 'knowledge' justifies it.

What bothers me is that there should be no 'wrong' way to do things in a creative field (and especially comics). It's all about personal taste; if folk don't like 'tangents' (eye roll), then they'll avoid that particular artist's work and move on.

Screw the 'rules' is what I say!

••

Yes and no.

It depends to a very great degree on just where the art is being presented. There are, indeed, many "rules" about the production of good comic books, and they have evolved over years, decades, and with good reason.

When we consider that the main reason the art exists in a comic book is to TELL THE STORY, it is vitally important that the telling be CLEAR and CONCISE. That there be no points at which the reader/viewer is momentarily yanked out of the story by that dreaded question "What am I looking at, here?"

Neal Adams, a well we know, appeared like a thunderclap in the 1960s, and pretty much revolutionized the visual language of American comic books singlehandedly. After a long doldrums, mostly due to the Comics Code limiting any serious "artistic expression", Neal brought photorealism and powerful dynamics and wild camera angles to the pages he worked on. And, it must be said, not always with 100% success. There were, indeed, those moments of "What am I looking at?" from time to time.

The greater problem, tho, lay in those who emulated Neal (Present!), who often only skimmed the surface, and picked up the "tricks" but not the solid drawing skills that lay beneath them.

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 11  

I came too late to see the image posted on the website, I will just assume it was yet another person stealing Johns work as theirs and looking for praises. As for Erik Larsen, WTF dude??!! Were you high when you decided to do this? I understand that art is in the eye of the beholder, and everyone has their opinion. However, it is really bad manners to go over and " correct " someones work that has been doing this way longer than you. In Neal Adams case, he has been drawing comics since before Mr. Larsen was even born. I would like to think that Erik was not trying to be offensive with what he did and his comments. Unfortunately that is not how it was recieved.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 12  

Erik Larsen: "Here's a John Byrne page. Problems--Kam gets lost in panel one--too much clutter around him. The funky panel shapes add nothing. And Kam is the same size in all three panels--and is sticking your chin out of a panel like that last one REALLY the best solution?"

Erik Larsen: "My "fix" (and again--crude) helps us find Kam in panel one (less is more sometimes), lose him in panel two--POP him in panel three (again, eliminating background noise that made him get lost), contain Sultan in panel four and straighten out the panel borders. Better? Worse? You decide!"

Here's the other art Erik was criticizing:

Erik Larsen: "John Byrne art. For some unfathomable reason--John has taken to loading his drawings with tangents--like the building edge lined up with one arm and the lamppost on the other."

Erik Larsen: "Tangents removed--and the Thing given a bath."

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version