Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: Uhmmm. . . . ? (Now with FREE Art Lessons from Erik Larsen!) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 1  

I don't have a problem with Larsen not liking some of JB's work either. I do have a problem with his technical dissections since I don't feel that he's qualified to do so given his own personal style and what he's exhibited as his own understanding of drawing concepts in his published work. 
Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 2  

Nathan:
I just don't believe anyone needs to EARN THE RIGHT to express opinion.

While no one needs to earn the right to express an opinion, isn't it tough not to seem unprofessional if one pro critiques other professionals publicly?

On the other hand, some pros have "earned the right" to do it by their stature and general reputation.

It also seems relevant to say anyone can go too far-- if Stephen King were passive-aggressively "critiquing" one of his professed idols for ten years or so it would stop seeming like just a guy with an opinion.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

Nathan: I believe JB worked briefly on what eventually became SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 4  

I've read Stephen King's criticism of other authors, and what really gets his goat is unrealistic dialogue. Which is funny, because his dialogue, at least up until I stopped reading his work circa 1990, was the most jarring and unrealistic aspect of his work. it's really noticeable in his screenplays, where the characters sound practically slow-witted. So while he's often correct in his criticism, at the same time he's probably not the best standard bearer for realistic dialogue. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 5  

Nathan, of course it is a free country and Larsen can express an negative opinion if he wants to.  However, should he do so given that he has not accomplished anywhere near what JB has is another matter?

You look at the Spider-Man cover from the other page and truly believe that artist should be critiquing other people's work?

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 6  

Mark: While no one needs to earn the right to express an opinion, isn't it tough not to seem unprofessional if one pro critiques other professionals publicly?

---

It happens all the time on this "public" forum, no?

To use an earlier example:

"Byrne: I stand prepared to bring down the Wrath of the Gods upon my furry head, but it seems to me that Adams Superman would look much better without the legs and -- ahem - - package showing."

Byrne offers his opinion on what would make Neal's above commission "look much better" (Byrne's words). It isn't a personal attack. Byrne is just critiquing Neal's commission in a professional way.

So I guess I disagree with you, Mark. I feel one professional can publicly critique another without looking unprofessional.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 7  

I love John Byrne's comics and I don't enjoy Erik Larsen's comics. Byrne wins every argument in my opinion and that's good enough for me.

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 8  

Larsen has earned a name in the industry so what he says or writes about other artists does carry some weight.
The thing is, IMO, people who have some exposure, like Larsen, should be careful about what they say/write because it has some impact. It's one thing if I say I don't like this drawing and correct it in my blog, 99% of the people don't give a damn about my opinion, it's another thing if Erik Larsen does the same thing. Just notice how we're all talking about it.
Larsen is entitled to his opinion of course, and art/comics (like movies or sports) sure is one area where everyone has an opinion, he could even express that opinion, but the fact that he goes as far as correcting a drawing from another artist in a public site seems a bit too much.
I believe his intention might not have been bad, but it was a misstep on his part.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 9  

My answer to Nathan's question is that it is okay to critique. But it is all about intent. Do you intend to try and insult someone or are you offering a real solution for the sake of art?

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 10  

Wilson: Nathan, of course it is a free country and Larsen can express an negative opinion if he wants to. 

---

I agree.

---

Wilson: However, should he do so given that he has not accomplished anywhere near what JB has is another matter?

---

Byrne critiqued TANGLED in the movie section of this forum. His only film credit/experience is working briefly on what eventually became SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE (that's what I'm told!). I think it's fair to say I have accomplished more than Byrne in the film industry... yet I have no problem with him critiquing TANGLED.  

---

Wilson: You look at the Spider-Man cover from the other page and truly believe that artist should be critiquing other people's work?

---

I'm not a fan of that cover... however, I feel Larsen can critique other people's work if he wants to. As you said above, it's a free country. That's my opinion.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 11  

Paul: My answer to Nathan's question is that it is okay to critique. But it is all about intent. Do you intend to try and insult someone or are you offering a real solution for the sake of art?

---

I like your answer, Paul :)

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 12  

It isnt the criticism that got me just the personal nature. Larsen has a
history of fixing other artists artwork and not just in an instructive
nature. Usually some venom goes along with it.

If he just says a certain piece doesn't work for him and why well that
seems reasonable to me. The rest of his nonsense ruins it though.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version