Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: Uhmmm. . . . ? (Now with FREE Art Lessons from Erik Larsen!) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 1  

Erik Larsen sure has changed my opinion of him with his latest actions towards John Byrne. When I worked at Image, I got the impression that Erik was a nice, and respectful guy. I would expect Todd or even Rob to do some mud slinging at John, not say that it is right, as both are very opinionated people. Erik slinging mud at John, and Neal Adams, is really shocking. Hench why I initially asked if he was high. I am not working in comic books currently, I am illustrating work for Boise State currently. I am working on the side on a couple of comic projects that i hope to get picked up as creator owned projects. Yeah, I want to return to working in comics. This new knowledge of Erik larsen makes me take pause in wanting to submit my work to Image when I am ready.  

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 2  

I smell a new Reality TV series, "Playing God With Erik Larsen."  Check your local cable stations for the debut.  

That got a laugh out of me. :)

Edited by Robbie Parry on 20 March 2013 at 12:59pm

Mike Purdy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 3  

The rose-growing concept shouldn't be offensive just to people like JB.  It should be offensive to every fan out there who shells out their hard-earned bucks and expects to buy a professional quality comic when it is promised to us. The fact that many fans tolerate and excuse this behaviour vexes me. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 4  

Byrne: I remember when Harlan Ellison unleashed his wrath upon STAR WARS. Not a good word to say about it. I didn't agree, of course, but Harlan had certainly EARNED THE RIGHT to express his opinion.

In Larsen's case, it's akin to something Aaron Sorkin said about the internet having given everybody "a turn at the microphone", but adding that not everybody has EARNED a turn at the microphone.

---

Members on this site are constantly critiquing and criticizing films in the JBF movie threads. Many of these members have never worked in the movie industry... yet I feel there's nothing wrong with them expressing their opinion. 

As long as you don't make it "personal", I don't feel you need to EARN THE RIGHT to express an opinion.

What do the rest of you guys think?

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 5  

I don't think Erik would claim that he's a superior artist to JB, Perez and Adams, anymore than Roger Ebert thinks that he's a better filmmaker than Martin Scorsese if he's criticizing one of his films ...

But Ebert reviews Scorsese's films, he doesn't re-edit them.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 6  

Nathan, when Larsen implies that JB does not give a damn about his work, shouldn't JB take it personally?  I know I would.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 7  

But Ebert reviews Scorsese's films, he doesn't re-edit them.

He's certainly weighed in with suggestions as to what he might have done differently, especially when he and Siskel/Roeper were on-camera and having conversations about the films they were reviewing.  They'd talk about characters who were unsympathetic or not fully developed, confusing or unnecessary scenes, casting decisions that didn't seem to work...  Ebert wouldn't have the time nor inclination to re-edit films to his liking, I'm sure, but Erik's apparently got enough time in any given day to dick around on the Internet, and it's much faster to slap something together in photoshop than to re-cut a film without access to multiple camera angles and raw footage.

Comics are a visual medium, Erik's a cartoonist, and a discussion of what he'd change in a particular piece benefits more from "show and tell" than just "tell."  Like with the adjusted Neal Adams Superman piece earlier in this thread.   
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

Members on this site are constantly critiquing and criticizing films in the JBF movie threads. Many of these members have never worked in the movie industry... yet I feel there's nothing wrong with them expressing their opinion.

If you want to go a step further, Rob Liefeld's drawn thousands of comic book pages professionally at this point in his career.  JB's the only one here whose output beats Liefeld's (and completely, utterly eclipses it in terms of page count), so does that disqualify all of us from expressing opinions on an artist's work?  The Movies portion of the forum would be limited to Nathan Greno and Marc Guggenheim and Matt Reed talking shop, and they could only talk about projects that weren't as good as their own.       

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Nathan, when Larsen implies that JB does not give a damn about his work, shouldn't JB take it personally? I know I would"

He didn't imply it, others here decided to infer it. Looking at Larson's actual Facebook page, that implication isn't there.  Looking at how people in this thread have taken offense and then expanded, interpreted, and even mind read based on a few selected offerings out of context, then it is pretty easy to take offfense.

Trevor Phillip
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 10  

I just found this thread -- but I don't get it -- Eric offered a critique of John Byrne art which is something John Byrne has done before here at the JBF.  There's a thread I stumbled across (and can't find now) where Mr Byrne corrected a Jim Lee Batman cover, posting the corrected image and making comment.

Since I can't find the old thread, I can't link it to see if there's some underlying difference to the critique/correction -- but it sure seems (in memory) to be the same.

My point -- we all do this sort of thing to varying degrees -- what's the big deal that Eric Larsen did it to John Byrne.????

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 11  

My point -- we all do this sort of thing to varying degrees -- what's the big deal that Eric Larsen did it to John Byrne.????

You just found this thread, but did you actually read it?

If you didn't, I suggest you go back to page 1 and do so.  By the time you get to the last page, you'll (hopefully) see the difference between what Larsen does "out there" and what JB does here

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 12  

In reply to Nathan, I think there's a difference between offering your
unsolicited opinion and couching your opinion in an aura of "authority"
because of your position.

All informed opinions are valid, but better informed opinions carry more
weight. So Ellison's trashing of Star Wars has the patina of authority, a
patina earned by years of work and integrity.

Larsen tries to transact using the same coin, but he's not fit for it by
either his work or his rep for ragging on the work of his betters.

If it weren't for his "voice of an expert" tone and his "corrections" I
wouldn't care that his opinions are being circulated. But the phony
behavior makes him the kind of figure who deserves derision.

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version