Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: Uhmmm. . . . ? (Now with FREE Art Lessons from Erik Larsen!) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 4:59am | IP Logged | 1  

The thing to keep in mind is that Larsen is basically McFarlane-Lite, both artistically and "philosophically". He tries for the same kind of bombastic approach the Toddler has made all his own, and falls short.

The "art criticism" posted above is amusing, too, in that it reflects something I have often noted about the Byrne Bashers: their complaints seem so often to be way out of date. Larsen cuts into stuff I did more than thirty years ago! This is helpful, how?

The "it's just a comic book" line is the most offensive, tho. As Larsen uses it, the suggestion seems to be that this is something I've said, rather than something I have complained about myself, when others have said it.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 5:00am | IP Logged | 2  

Anyone remember back in 2003 when Erik Larsen was criticizing the artwork of George Perez, saying Perez had problems with anatomy and perspective and saying he was overrated? Seriously.

••

Yes, that was TRULY mind-boggling. Like a gilded turd finding fault with a Faberge egg!

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 5:53am | IP Logged | 3  

I've never understood the appeal of Larsen's art. I think he did a pretty good job on Spider-Man years back, but I dislike his version of just about every other character. Not to mention the fact that he draws the most repulsive looking women ever. 

Edited by Robert White on 20 March 2013 at 6:08am

Joie Simmons
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 4  

Can't wait to see him go and re-draw some Tex Avery.
That's a guy who sure needed to know how to make his stuff more realistic and grounded.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Jasinski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 6:13am | IP Logged | 5  

"problems with anatomy"? Like this?

That was one of the BETTER examples of Spiderman by Larson, whom Larsen, Byrne and Perez have all drawn. I think it's safe to say you will NEVER find JB or GP messing up a dynamic pose that badly. The most immediate reaction is: "What the hell is wrong with his LEG?!"

I don't want to go down the same road of finding fault with Larsen's art, I just want to point out that while you might be able to nitpick and find the Hulk's teeth at slightly the wrong angle or a lamp post that seems like a tangent, you will never find one of the real pros drawing a figure in a dynamic pose this badly. On the COVER no less!

This is NOT someone in any position to give art critiques to others, much less the level of the professionals he is taking aim at!

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 6  

The only real problem with that lever scene is Blob should be yelling "Yeow, my balls!"

Mikael Bergkvist
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 7  

It's all stupid anyway. With the massive output of material that JB has done, it's nothing short of amazing that all he can find is these few "mistakes", which are all debatable anyway.

Somewhere in the back of Erik's mind, he must realize this too.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 8  

It's all stupid anyway. With the massive output of material that JB has done, it's nothing short of amazing that all he can find is these few "mistakes", which are all debatable anyway.

Somewhere in the back of Erik's mind, he must realize this too.

••

Ah, but in the FRONT of Erik's mind, he knows all he has to do is put this OUT there, and he will get the desired response from the desired quarters.

This is how memes are made!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 9  

I just think there's a way to do things - and whilst I now understand Larsen's motivation (as stated above by Mr. Byrne), it doesn't make it any less baffling for me.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 10  

The criticism of the X-men panel is off base, IMO. It never dawned on me that  the poses 'defied' physics, I always thought it 'looked' right (and cool as drawn).

One of the challenges of illustrating fantasy-based material is where to draw (sorry, bad pun) the line between slavish adherence to 'reality' and fudging things for dramatic effect (or to produce interesting visuals).

That being said, that Spidey cover just above seems to go way too far!

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 11  

Larsen's just a troll, and it speaks to the dwindling sales of comics, that a established artist like Erik Larsen (whether you like his work or not), has so much time on his hands...Shouldn't he concentrate on his own projects, instead of jerking off internet fanboys who hate John Byrne on facebook? No wonder the artist now has to take a backseat to the hack failed indie / hollywood writer in comic books..Egotists are rampant in this industry, and the product suffers as a consequence. SMH

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 12  

Shane Matlock wrote:
...Anyone remember back in 2003 when Erik Larsen was criticizing the artwork of George Perez, saying Perez had problems with anatomy and perspective and saying he was overrated? Seriously...

Yep. That was a time where I directly debated Larsen over what he wrote on the message board we both were posting on at the time.

John Byrne, George Perez, and Neal - FRIGGIN' - Adams!!!!

These are the artists that Larsen thinks he is superior to, enough to criticize them regularly?

Wow!

-- And he defends Liefeld's artwork???

What Bizarro world is he from?

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version