Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: Uhmmm. . . . ? (Now with FREE Art Lessons from Erik Larsen!) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

Larsen continues the barrage with his another critique of JB's work. To think that this is not a "personal" attack and just a "professional display" would be misguided.  It seems Larsen is aware of the goings-on in this thread and is continuing to be on the offensive.  What his motives are remain a mystery to me.

Edited by Jovi Neri on 19 March 2013 at 10:04pm
Back to Top profile | search

Jovi Neri
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 2  

During the JB Superman era, Larsen actually worked on one issue which was Adventures of Superman 431.

Check out the physics in how a Superman landing would destroy the front of the car (not to mention that Superman is drawn as if he were about to take off).

Check out Superman's head in the leftmost panel compared to the rest of his body.  Shades of Liefeld right here. Then the next two example panels, check the length of Superman's cape.  This from an artist who "thinks of this stuff a lot and makes an effort."

In this other example, check how Superman's left leg just magically appears to extend from his stomach. And the close-up of Superman's face in the bottom panel is unflattering to say the least.

During these years, give me JB's or Jerry Ordway's art any day over Larsen. I'd even "settle" for this chap named Neal Adams over "God" Larsen. Not even sure how he got the gig to pencil one issue.

Jose Sarduy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 10:50pm | IP Logged | 3  

is this the same Erik Larsen who draws this... this ...Abomination?

Edited by Jose Sarduy on 19 March 2013 at 10:53pm

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 11:11pm | IP Logged | 4  

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 11:58pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'm not typically one to bash anyone's art. One man's treasured masterpiece is another's trash. Of course with that disclaimer which indicates I'm about to bash, reading Bryan Hitch, Rob Liefeld, and Erik Larsen trash everything John Byrne did post 1990 on Twitter made me wonder where the years are when Liefeld and Larsen's art were great. I've never understood their appeal. Ever. Hitch can draw, albiet so slow that almost all of his comics are late, but the man does have talent. That said, he is a total Alan Davis clone. Everyone knows that Byrne was heavily influenced by Jack Kirby but his artwork doesn't look like Jack Kirby's. It looks like John Byrne's.

There are things about some of my favorite artists that bug me from time to time, panels that look wonky, etc. Would I point them out and correct them? Hell no. Because I'm not half the artist they are and never will be. I'm in awe of their work. Some of my favorite bands have songs I don't like, but it doesn't dimish what was great. But I've yet to see ONE THING drawn by Liefeld or Larsen that I thought looked even remotely well drawn. 

Where is Larsen's Facebook post correcting the art of Rob Liefeld? It seems like that guy could use some pointers on hands and feet and basic anatomy and perspective. I think this John Byrne character has drawing comics pretty much down pat. 

This whole thing seems like trolling honestly. None of these guys are in the Chief's league, never have been and never will be.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 12:00am | IP Logged | 6  

That is the silliest looking character I have ever seen.  Seriously.

Larsen is a bit of a joke the way he is obsessed with JB.  He now going back 30 years to find panels to comment on.  If anyone wants to find things wrong with his work, all they have to do is randomly pick a page on comicartfans.com.

Andrew Farago, still want to defend your buddy now?

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 12:37am | IP Logged | 7  

Andrew is a good guy, I wish we could stop making him the whipping boy.

The bottom line is this, JB's work will be standing long after he leaves this Earth. He will be mentioned in the same breath as Kirby, Ditko and Romita and that is something few men will be able to leave as a legacy .

Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 12:39am | IP Logged | 8  

I'd say that Erik's intent with the latest posts is a lot different than with the ones that kicked off the discussion here.  The first ones were a pretty common artistic exercise, and I stuck up for them because it didn't feel any more antagonistic than any other shop talk. 

These new ones?  Yeah, that's just trolling.  He knows somebody who has access to his Facebook page is going to come here with whatever he's posting, so it's pretty obvious that he's deliberately stirring things up.  I'm not going to try to stick up for the most recent pics, since I think the intent's a lot different than the first set.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 12:48am | IP Logged | 9  

I'm not comfortable criticizing a lot of creators in print but if they actively attack me and others? I'll make an exception.

This was a tweet from Larsen on 3/15. Makes it seem personal.

Many tweets about JB criticizing Jim Lee, Frank Quitely and others, presumably to defend Larsen's recent activities.

Edited by Andy Mokler on 20 March 2013 at 12:49am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 1:16am | IP Logged | 10  

Unless that car in the splash were going very slowly, that back seat passenger would have been cut in half! Talk about "comic book physics", Mr. Larsen. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 2:05am | IP Logged | 11  

It's not so much the art criticism for me - what I find disturbing is how personal the attacks get from Larsen.  JB criticizes Image's business practices and creative content, and Larsen goes to great lengths to smear JB.  Over the span of years!  I thought I could hold a grudge for a long time, but this is preposterous.  He's joined a really unhealthy group of fandom that are holding this weird anger for JB that has more to do with them than anything JB said or did.  Some of the stuff I have seen as a mod here is frankly disturbing.

I made the mistake of searching Larsen's name along with JB, and he went for an entire thread about how "stubborn" JB is, and why it makes JB a failure.  And that's nothing compared to the conversations he joins with a guy impersonating JB on Twitter.  It's unbelievable - the gall on this guy!  And it's because JB criticized the business and their work?  His response is always completely disproportionate.

When we look at conventional publicity methods, JB is going against the playbook.  Watching JB on this forum, he never shrinks from his opinions no matter the consequences - he will criticize the DSM and publishers for their contribution to taking the industry off the cliff.  No publicist thinks this is a good idea, and this is why I think publicists are mostly cowards.  To me this makes JB someone who will stand up for his principles even if there are consequences.  I admire JB for this.  He stands up to the establishment, yet fans rally behind thin-skinned no-talents like Larsen and Tom Breevhort when they go after JB without provocation?  Has the world gone topsy turvy and we see the business people as the heroes and the true artists as supporting players?

When Larsen gives art advice, I feel like I am watching "The Office" and the boss is yammering away while everyone is forced to listen.  When Larsen comments on his Facebook page that he had to do fixes like this all the time as editor, I realized how tone deaf he is.  Does he realize that artists don't necessarily LIKE his fixes?  As a principal at Image, he holds the keys to the car and if he wants fixes, he'll do fixes.  This is something he does at work, but it doesn't make for a good party trick on Facebook. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 2:36am | IP Logged | 12  

Anyone remember back in 2003 when Erik Larsen was criticizing the artwork of George Perez, saying Perez had problems with anatomy and perspective and saying he was overrated? Seriously.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 20 March 2013 at 2:38am

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version