Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: Uhmmm. . . . ? (Now with FREE Art Lessons from Erik Larsen!) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 1  

As I said before, Larsen just likes to try and annoy JB. He loves playing the "Who Me?" act. He is really good at it.
Back to Top profile | search

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 2  

I think what's really bugging all these guys (even Liefield and Hitch have commented on this) is the fact that they've all been blocked from the forum.

Have they, really? And if so, is it because they've already done something wrong here or is it just a matter of "an ounce of caution?"

Just curious.  Seeing Hitch's name there surprised me a little. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

Honestly after seeing this, does anyone need to defend JB's talent? Seriously this is pure and simple continued childish bullshit on Larsen's part. He isn't trying to teach anything, he is just wanting to be an ass to JB. Honestly it makes him look bad. I realize he could care less what i thought of him, but after reading a few message boards, there are tons of people that feel as I do. I guess he has so many fans he could care less about losing potential ones over some petty grudge. 

Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 4  

Yes, I am sure Larsen has his pants down getting all his fanboy out of
him.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
Have they, really? And if so, is it because they've already done something wrong here or is it just a matter of "an ounce of caution?"

Just curious.  Seeing Hitch's name there surprised me a little.

I admit that I've gotten slightly curious and amused by Larsen's twitter silliness, and according to a conversation with Hitch, Hitch was blocked at some point. I had no idea that he ever signed up and posted. 

Hitch also said that he was a big fan, particularly of his pre-90's work, and that JB was a huge influence. 

To be honest, I used to be puzzled and slightly irritated that most creators that have attempted to post here have gotten band for some "offense" or the other, but seeing as how Larsen is acting, maybe the policy is a good thing in the long run? Egh.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

I just don't get why someone would want to attack another person in such a public way and think it will make them look good.  Here is a sample of how it is being talked about on another comic forum.
(oh and I speak from experience, I have gotten into a couple pissing matches myself over politics and never look back on them fondly. I ALWAYS wish I had taken the high road)

Quote View Post
Geez. Now Larsen is running down Byrne's FF on Twitter. I may have to reverse course and say Larsen is a fucktard on this one
It's clear he's deliberately baiting Byrne, if Byrne is smart he'll ignore and let Eric make a fool of himself as he goes too far. If he's smart."

"I have to say, On balance I don't thnk Larsen is in a position to 'correct' other proffesionals, and definitely not like this, not when his own style is so heavily based on scratch lines and cartoon anatomy. I like his work for the most part, but it's very much a specific and acquired taste as an artstyle."

The top post was by someone that supported Larsen in the beginning of the thread.

As my grandma would say "Give someone enough rope and he'll hang himself."

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 19 March 2013 at 7:16pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 7  

Now it's ridiculous and anything anybody here says in defense of Larsen will just ... well, they'll just be wrong!

Sorry for those harsh words.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 8  

I am really struggling to understand why anyone would want to spend so much free time and energy doing what Larsen is doing. There are things I don't like (bands, for instance), but I can't envision ever using my time and energy to denounce someone's comic art. By all means use the web to denounce a politician or a country's foreign policy, but these are just comics, after all.

Baffling.

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 9  

This thread is a first for me.

First time I wished a thread on this forum would get locked down.

I enjoy both of these gentlemen's work.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 10  

Tearing down JB's FF? Larsen could only dream to have any comic run as well loved as JB's FF. Now there is obvious jealousy. If I recall correctly Marvel held Larsen in such high esteem that they allowed him to join Image rather than giving him his ultimatum of doing the Fantastic Four. That must still hurt after all these years. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 11  

It's obvious that Larsen feels quite safe"correcting" other artists' work. And why shouldn't he? His art is so stylized, so tenuously tethered to the visual world around us, where would another artist begin in correcting Larsen's work?

I won't use the word "bad" because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here, but the artwork of some artists like Liefeld and Larsen are so odd yet still commercial that it survives the scrutiny of fans. Their style is like a Klingon cloaking device. They can sell comics and play by their own rules without any fear of consequence. 

And I see a similar thing with writers these days. They stretch a single story over six to twelve issues, and no one can really fairly criticize the story until the last issue has been printed. And by that time, no one gives a fuck anyways how bad the story is, or what a waste of readers' time and money it was. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 19 March 2013 at 8:47pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 12  

Whatever your opinion of JB or his work, he has been a historic force in
comics with a definite sense of authorship.

But the industry is so declined that there is vrtually no hope that anyone
of Larsen's age or younger will ever have a similar size of impact. I
simply mean there isn't enough audience anymore and, unless it gets
rebuilt some miraculous way, well, Larsen's made all the impact he's
ever gonna make.

Naturally a twitter feed like this feels like a way of not having to face
facts. "How can it all be over if I can still offer corrections on Hulk
drawings from 1978?"

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version