Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: Uhmmm. . . . ? (Now with FREE Art Lessons from Erik Larsen!) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2013 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 1  

Here's an idea for a little prank: JB announces that he has added an "art mistake" on purpose in a future issue of a project and dares people to find it. Let's see if Erik can find it, although there'll be no actual mistake done on purpose in it. :-)

Jokes aside, I hope Larsen's followers are buying a lot of JB books so they can find their own "mistakes".
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2013 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

I think JB should create a folder where he "corrects" some pages by Harold Foster or Jack Kirby so that cosmic balance can be maintained. 
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2013 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 3  

I apologize to Andrew. I go too far at times.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2013 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 4  

Jodi, we don't know if anybody has for example Asperger, a mild form of autism, and very often they get hung out like this, so I'm disappointed that you haven't showed some understanding, you know what I mean. If it's a regular guy who acted poorly or if it's an Asperger or something else who acts like a genius we don't know about anybody. You were also in an harassing another guy, let's keep him anonymous and call him Cemento, on a facebook group. You are all Americans, be nice. And tomorrow everyone, or any day you like, I urge you to go to a place with retarded people, observe them, then come back and tell me you don't agree.

Added: everybody should answer questions when critisized in thir profession, but that "Art Lesson by" in the title string, is that necessary?

Lars you have lost me, I have no idea what you are talking about.
Oh and my youngest has a degree of autism and we find calling people "retarded" offensive.

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 18 March 2013 at 8:10pm

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2013 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

Joe:  Apology accepted.  We're here because we're fans of John Byrne's work, but we've all got a whole bunch of other interests that don't necessarily match up.  Intensity in conversation is usually a good thing, and it makes for interesting discussions, even if/especially if the people involved are in complete disagreement.

I talked with Erik about this whole discussion this afternoon, and he said:  "You might point out that I have an album of original art that I own--and that Byrne is well represented in that. It's not as though I hate the guy's work! I own a dozen pages of his art!"

Take that however you want.  I don't know if he's been buying The High Ways or not, but I'm pretty sure I talked about the return of Next Men not too long ago.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 6:03am | IP Logged | 6  

Here's an idea for a little prank: JB announces that he has added an "art mistake" on purpose in a future issue of a project and dares people to find it. Let's see if Erik can find it, although there'll be no actual mistake done on purpose in it. :-)

••

One thing I have learned from my experiences with fandom is that people see things that aren't there. If I mention I have trouble drawing aglets, THOUSANDS of examples will be produced, none of which actually represent the problem.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 7  

I work with artists all the time, so hearing guys talk shop or griping about other artists doesn't register as anything out of the ordinary to me.

What I got from the Facebook page is that the JB example had mistakes that needed 'correcting'. Erik should have prefaced his intentions better if that wasn't the case IMO.

Isn't 'griping' about another artist a whole different ball of wax than using their work to demonstrate a point? I realize it's semantics, but still...

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 8  

Andrew, I hope you take this with all the humor I mean it in.

You wrote: drank your last beer.

I say this with all the South Park I can muster, YOU BASTARD! ;-)

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 9  

Valmor said: 
"Here's an idea for a little prank: JB announces that he has added an "art mistake" on purpose in a future issue of a project and dares people to find it. Let's see if Erik can find it, although there'll be no actual mistake done on purpose in it. :-)"

==========

At a theater I worked at, a friend gave an intro to a collection of short films and wrapped up by saying, "Oddly, someone died during the filming of each of these," which wasn't true at all. 

After the show, a young boy came up and said, "I figured out where people died: in the first film, it was in the scene of..." and so on.

Abraham Martinez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 10  

Maybe I am a little simple in my thinking. But I consider John Byrne a much better artist than Erik Larsen. I don't have anything against Erik and I met him at a show once and he was very nice but its hard for me to understand how you can critiques someone's work when your own work is no where near as good. It's like Kris Humphries telling people how Leborn James can improve his game.

Edited by Abraham Martinez on 19 March 2013 at 8:49am

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 11  

....but its hard for me to understand how you can critiques someone's work when your own work is no where near as good. It's like Kris Humphries telling people how Leborn James can improve his game.

iii

I don't think criticism has to necessarily come from someone who's "better" in order to be valid. 

Stan Lee had a great eye for what made good comic art and was a successful art director without drawing a lick himself.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 March 2013 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 12  

"I don't know much about art, but I know what I like!"

An ancient and largely valid statement. Runs aground, tho, when, as with Larsen, "what I like" becomes "what is RIGHT".

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version