Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: Uhmmm. . . . ? (Now with FREE Art Lessons from Erik Larsen!) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 1  

Amusing Side Note: Yesterday I was chatting with my bud Gary Cody, and, quite unprompted, he mentioned how it was I who planted the concern for tangents in his own artistic brain, so that whenever he sets up one of his still-lifes he finds himself cursing my name as he constantly rearranges elements, sometimes in only the tiniest way, in order to avoid a tangent.
Back to Top profile | search

rob fleming
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 2  

The worst thing about what Larsen's doing IMO, is that there are literally hundreds of wannabe comic artists who would invite Erik's criticism on their own work. Being featured on his facebook page could also boost a young artists profile, maybe help some promising kid get work. But instead...
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 3  

*sigh* I guess I'm pretty gullible about this stuff, huh? LOL..Never understood that mindset...I always wanted to learn all I could from those that made it in the business..

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 4  

What the hell does this have to do with Larsen's disrespect for JB's work? Since your'e playing peacemaker here, why don't you go and tell your buddy Larsen to knock it off?

"Hey, Erik, if you're reading this, stop thinking about how you might have drawn particular comics differently, and don't share your opinions about that anymore, since Joe Zhang is taking it as a direct and personal insult from me.

Thanks,

Andrew" 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 5  

What the hell does this have to do with Larsen's disrespect for JB's work? Since your'e playing peacemaker here, why don't you go and tell your buddy Larsen to knock it off?

"Hey, Erik, if you're reading this, stop thinking about how you might have drawn particular comics differently, and don't share your opinions about that anymore, since Joe Zhang is taking it as a direct and personal insult from me."

••

When the seven "founders" of Image were announced -- the Seven Little Shits, as McFarlane dubbed them -- there was a joke around the Marvel Office: "Valentino? Why the heck would they want Valentino?" "To make Larsen look good!"

And I wasn't even the one to start that joke!

Thing is, I think Larsen is a pretty crappy artist. Some look at his stuff and think "stylized", I look at it and think "bad". But you don't find me using up bandwidth on this Forum, or anywhere else, to "correct" what I think is wrong with his work. Aside from being an endless job, it's just not worth it.

Larsen clearly has some kind of bug up his butt about me. He seems to be the "little shit" who took the greatest degree of umbrage when I did not fall immediately to my knees before the exalted alter of IMAGE. When I pointed out the newest emperor's profound lack of clothes.

But Neal Adams? NEAL ADAMS?? I said elsewhere that I don't much enjoy what Neal has been doing for the past few years. His "middle period" is far and away my favorite of his work. But he is still a God Among Men. He could sneeze on the page and create something better than Larsen on his best day. And Larsen "fixes" Neal?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 6  

Joel Tesch wrote:
...It's the difference between me as a fan posting something about how I would fix one element of Star Wars that bugs me...and for Steven Spielberg to point out what George Lucas did wrong in shooting a scene and then posting a re-edited "correction" version. At best it's in bad taste. ..

This is along how I see the matter, as well. I have no issue with Erik Larsen. I've enjoyed some of his work, and the one time I met him he was friendly and nice to me -- even complimentary. But, I do think the "Playing God" album on his Facebook is in bad form. He's free to criticize others work, even respected peers, however he likes, but I and others are also free to criticize his methods in doing so.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 17 March 2013 at 2:42pm

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

Matt I never had an issue with him either until I checked Twitter.  I didn't know he had a full album of fixes but did see him even fixing Kirby.  That's just sacrilegious to me! ;)

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 8  

When the seven "founders" of Image were announced -- the Seven Little Shits, as McFarlane dubbed them -- there was a joke around the Marvel Office: "Valentino? Why the heck would they want Valentino?" "To make Larsen look good!"

I was not there, but the problem addressed is worse than that for creators. If everybody wants to look good then every freelance creator will be suppressed. If Image or any other company "hires" Superman on a license it will be a very simple Superman in b&w that hardly is put up on the shelves and no marketing material. Which has happened in a way but you were not very happy when I wrote about it. But it has nothing to do with how bad Larsen  draws, it's company business.

Edited by Lars Johansson on 17 March 2013 at 3:46pm

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 9  

Lars, could you explain that comment, sir?

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 10  

Lars, could you explain that comment, sir?

Careful.  The explanation may be more confusing than the comment.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 11:32pm | IP Logged | 11  

http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/6/14/3084348/the-second -40-worst-rob-liefeld-drawings

Wouldn't want to start a thread about this but it seems on topic here.  The guy who made the breakdown of all of his least favorite Liefeld art has made a sequel to it.

Edited by Andy Mokler on 17 March 2013 at 11:32pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2013 at 12:11am | IP Logged | 12  

Just to toss out a few talking points here:

*Anyone here ever go to art school?  I majored in studio art in college, and we had weekly portfolio reviews during senior year where the professors would critique a piece, students would weigh in, too, and I got my ego crushed flat every single week.  I became a much better artist over the course of those critiques, which were absolutely brutal, but educational.  The critiques that Larsen posted would have been downright positive amidst the ones my professors doled out.

*As far as the critiques being unsolicited, couldn't you argue that about most comic review sites?  Or the weekly new releases thread where we shoot the breeze about new comics?  I get unsolicited advice at my day job all the time, so filtering out useful suggestions amidst the impractical or irrational ones or the ones that I don't want to hear is just part of the job. 

*I felt kind of guilty a few weeks ago after posting a Peanuts strip on my Facebook page and pointing out that it wasn't one of Schulz's best strips.  Snoopy danced around in his aerobics outfit, then said "Flashbeagle!" in the fourth panel.  Some of my friends ripped me a new one and accused me of unfairly dogging Charles Schulz and his ability, but I don't think it diminishes my love of his work one bit that I singled out one out of 20,000 strips as probably not being as good as the rest.  I don't think I'm less of a Kirby fan for not digging Silver Star as much as the Fourth World, and I shouldn't have to turn in my Neal Adams fan club card if I bailed out halfway through Batman: Odyssey. 

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version