Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: Uhmmm. . . . ? (Now with FREE Art Lessons from Erik Larsen!) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 1  

Wow.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 6:03am | IP Logged | 2  

"I'm saying that there will always, always, always be comics that you don't like getting published, and creators that you don't like earning a living off of comics, and it's better for comics if we all go out and support the stuff we really enjoy and encourage others to do the same."

What the hell does this have to do with Larsen's disrespect for JB's work? Since your'e playing peacemaker here, why don't you go and tell your buddy Larsen to knock it off?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 3  

Erik Larsen's still around doing what he does best.

••

Tho apparently he thinks he's doing what he does BETTER.

Back to Top profile | search

Sue Ward
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 4  

I have seen some of his stuff on his Facebook page he seems a nice guy with some good artwork too. i don't think he meant anything by what he did.

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 5  

I have a bridge for sale if anyone is interested.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 6  

I have seen some of his stuff on his Facebook page he seems a nice guy with some good artwork too. i don't think he meant anything by what he did.

That sentiment is as phony as your identity "Sue"...

Andrew, I get what you're saying about we all talk about "corrections" from time to time to works that we love. I think the big distinction is we do it as fans. Larsen is in the same industry as JB and is going it as an industry professional peer (for lack of a better term). It's the difference between me as a fan posting something about how I would fix one element of Star Wars that bugs me...and for Steven Spielberg to point out what George Lucas did wrong in shooting a scene and then posting a re-edited "correction" version. At best it's in bad taste.  More realistically, this is just yet another instance of Larsen taking a passive-aggressive shot at JB wrapped in supposed plausible deniability ("who, me?")  Maybe we could give him the benefit of the doubt if this is the first time he'd done something like this...but as others have already posted here, there are tons of examples of him doing stuff like this.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 7  

Andrew I just don't believe it was good form to correct JB's work. Let's take something as minor as my pony customs. I was asked to attend Pony Con in NYC  because I was told by the person involved in the planning of it, I was one of the top custom pony makers. (sadly I couldn't go due to my work) I have had articles saying I was one of the top pony  customizers along with  an artist by the name ofMari Kasurinen. She is the one doing amazing sculpted ponies. Her ponies and mine are completely different.

I would NEVER, NEVER , NEVER take one of her finished ponies and "correct" it to my idea of a correct pony. I consider her work to be pretty freaking amazing, I don't do my ponies like hers, some of her ponies I like more than others. I would never use my facebook page to "correct" the ones I am not as fond of.

If I heard that she had used her facebook to "correct" my ponies to her way of thinking, I would be offended. I just do not believe that it is a professional thing to do. I think after the contributions JB has had to the industry and the level of talent he has, buys him some artistic respect. If Larsen doesn't mean anything by it, the moment he heard it offended JB he should have apologized to JB and pulled it from his facebook. Has he done that?  I don't know if he meant anything malicious from it, if Andrew says he is a good guy I believe that, because I think Andrew is top shelf and a good judge of character.

But what Larsen did was disrespectful to JB. He was not teaching a class and JB was a student. In college I can not imagine a professor putting up another art professors work and critiquing it to his students. Imagine the work environment in the art department if that did happen. The one prof would be extremely offended ( rightfully so) and the other prof that did it, would be looked on in a negative way. But to be honest, I just do not think that would ever happen, out of a professional courtesy.

Just imagine how wrong Spielberg would look, if he on a facebook fan page he ran, had clips of Star Wars ep 1 posted, that he re-edited to what he felt was the "correct" way. Maybe he hates Jar Jar and thinks he should never have made it to the movie's final cut, how petty and unprofessional would it look, if he did that? Spielberg fans would be outraged if they saw that. As much as those fans of JB's on here are towards Larsen.  

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 8  

Joel my bad, didn't see your post (in the middle of mine I went and separated two male cats getting ready to fight on my porch) and don't mean to sound like I am repeating what you posted or stealing your analogy. But damn we think alike, after reading what some on other forums think of my opinions, be worried my friend LOL

Oh and when I posted this :
"Spielberg fans would be outraged if they saw that. As much as those fans of JB's on here are towards Larsen."

I meant to post this:

"Lucas fans would be outraged if they saw that. As much as those fans of JB's on here are towards Larsen."

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 17 March 2013 at 7:31am

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 9  

I just wish that fellow illustrators would do a better job sticking together rather than critiquing other people's artwork online. Maybe if we did that, comics would be in a better place, where the emphasis would be on where it belongs..cartooning and storytelling, not comic art hampered by wordy dialogue, bad characterization, and poor layout, with people just standing around, or sitting down. If an artist doesn't like a particular piece, instead of grading it, like a schoolmarm, why not seek out the original artist, and talk shop?

Sue Ward
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 10  

My comments wern't phony Joel and niether am i i don't understand why you should say this.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 11  

I just wish that fellow illustrators would do a better job sticking together rather than critiquing other people's artwork online. Maybe if we did that, comics would be in a better place, where the emphasis would be on where it belongs..cartooning and storytelling, not comic art hampered by wordy dialogue, bad characterization, and poor layout, with people just standing around, or sitting down. If an artist doesn't like a particular piece, instead of grading it, like a schoolmarm, why not seek out the original artist, and talk shop?

••

Jim Shooter used to tell the story of working with a particular artist who was, to put it mildly, really BAD. So Shooter decided to "talk shop" with the guy, and see if he could give him some pointers that might improve the work. As Shooter figured, the guy must have felt pretty bad, churning out bad work month after month. A few good tips would be welcome.

Or not.

For, as Shooter started "talking shop" with the guy, the guy started telling Shooter how brilliant he, the artist, was. How superb his work was. Unmatched! Unequalled.

No hope there, then!

Larsen's "approach" is, of course, not even intended to be helpful. The "corrections" are not for my attention, in the way of "helpful hints" (you know, like how Larsen knows better how to draw the webbing on Spider-Man's costume than does John Romita Sr...). He's showing OTHERS what's "wrong" with my work. Which is of no help to anyone, unless he imagines I (or Neal Adams, or whoever comes under "God's" inspection) happen to have a handy time machine, and can go back and "fix" my "mistakes".

Of course, as noted with the "corrected" GENERATIONS pages, all Larsen did by "fixing" them was break what was not already broken.

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 12  

Andrew Farago criticizing someone about art is one thing but Erik Larsen made the criticism personal in a very distasteful manner.  When I looked at his Twitter feed I was shocked.  Larsen seems to rag on JB any chance he gets.  It isn't just a criticism of so-called tangents etc.  It is not professional of Larsen at all.  Twitter and Facebook are public.  I can't imagine how you can apologize for that.  If we were all sitting in a convention room and the conversations that take place on Twitter and Facebook were taking place it would be very uncomfortable to say the least.  I doubt Larsen would even say those things in "public" even though he's in public on Twitter and Facebook.  

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version