Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Turning Back The Clock (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 12:33am | IP Logged | 1  

There's been a ton of discussion, here and elsewhere, about how current versions of classic heroes don't feel like they used to feel.  That reading them now or even reading about them now feels totally foreign.  

My question is this:  Imagine each title lives in a vacuum.  If you could take one, and only one, title (be it a solo character or team) which single title would you "reset" and why? Also, where in the character or team's history would you reset it and why did you choose that particular point in time? 

Discuss!
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 12:47am | IP Logged | 2  

THE DOOM PATROL, reset back to the point before they "died" at the hands of Captain Zahl and Madame Rouge. 

As to the question why...  Well, beyond this point brings up several things I'd prefer not to remember the DP by, like The Chief being depicted as a lying and manipulative S.O.B. (twice), and Rita being resurrected as living malleable protoplasm. 

Jean-Francois Joutel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 1:30am | IP Logged | 3  

Spider-Man, reset to issue 139 of Amazing Spider-Man.

This was about the time where Peter Parker got his own apartment on Chelsea street. To me, this is where Peter Parker went into stasis and stopped growing.

Sure, there was the wedding, but it was divisive and kept getting written out and back into the story line.

After issue 139, Spider-Man's rogue gallery grew and so did many supporting characters, but not Peter Parker. All the resets seem to just put Peter Parker back to when he first got his solo apartment.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 5:36am | IP Logged | 4  

The X-Men.

I would choose #143 as the reset point.  The reason for this is that it seems that this was the point when the characters were at their best, before all of the aliens, demons, and time-traveler nonsense Chris Claremont brought on board.  There was something in John Byrne's part in the storytelling process which kept the characters rooted in their place without letting too many things digress.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 5  

And here I thought this was a thread about tonight's return to "summer time".

For a long time now, I have been saying it would be a good idea if Marvel and DC could come up with some kind of consensus on which periods were best for their titles. Difficult, of course, since each "generation" of fans and pros (and most especially fans-turned-pro) tend to think "their" books were the best. But if we could sit down and seriously look at when the characters were being best served, like, maybe, when Spider-Man was a high schooler, or Superman was "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound", and then declare, by editorial fiat, that the books would "reset" to those periods. Set in modern day, of course, but restored to the formulas that made the books/characters successful in the first place.

Of course, just a quick glance at the few posts already in this thread demonstrate why this concept could never really work. Jean-Francois and Carmen, for instance, have picked periods for those titles that I think are FAR from their best.

Danged opinions! Why does everybody have to have DIFFERENT ones??

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 6  

I can't pick a specific issue, but I'd reset Spider-Man's universe to where it was early on in Stan Lee/Steve Ditko's run. Before all the clone stuff, the marriage, etc. And I'd continue from that point.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 7  

I would pick the Superman titles where the editors/writers TRIED to follow JB:s guidleines instead of making a mark on the character. It would have been around Zero Hour, that was when my heart broke. I'm not saying that people understood what JB intended or that they were fantastic writers all of them before that, but they tried there best. But when it comes to Superman, he has little bit of a James Bond problem, Clark Kent a newspaper "reporter" sneaking around and Jimmy Olsen who can handle a camera with a film cartridge and a one-time flash, that is a totally obsolete concept. JB had Clark Kent back at the typewriter, much better than the TV news dude before that, but still, the problem is there. In many countries the newspaper with Murdoch or whoever is, well, you don't find your childhood hero among them there anymore even if you read the papers and mags and I have nothing against Murdoch.

I hope I answered Matt's query in there somwhow.

Edited by Lars Johansson on 09 March 2013 at 6:31am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 8  

I very much enjoyed Man of Steel and the rest of the
post-crisis DC Universe, but if I was going to reset
anything, I would reset DC to pre-crisis status and move
forward again from there. However, this isn't the
question. I have to pick one, so let it be my favorite
super hero and reset Hal Jordan, Green Lantern to the Len
Wein/Dave Gibbons run where and when he returns from
space and start there. I really, really enjoyed that
run, but this time, he stays Green Lantern, and we do not
lead up to Crisis. I would love to see how that would
work when you take Crisis out of the equation.

And without all the CRAP that came later/recently. Geoff
Johns reset Green Lantern in Rebirth, but then couldn't
stop himself and ruined it. He took away everything that
made it special. I could gladly do without.

Edited by Ted Pugliese on 10 March 2013 at 6:08pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 9  

Peter Parker back in high school.

Permanently.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 10  

I became a dedicated fan in the middle of Claremont's run on the X-Men. That's the most important single title to me, and I would reset it to around the early 200's of the X-Men, just prior to the "Mutant Massacre". It was at that point that the X-Men lost the intimate team atmosphere that I feel never came back. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 09 March 2013 at 8:24am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 11  

I've mentioned my "Reset" idea more than a few times over the years, and one thing has stuck in my mind, regarding various fan reactions to the idea: there are an awful lot of people out there who cannot seem to grasp the basic idea that such a "reset" would not require the books to be set in the Past.

TIme and again, when I have said I'd like to see Parker back as a high schooler, I have heard "But I don't want to read stories set in 1963." It was, not surprisingly I suppose, the same reaction/resistance I met from some quarters with HIDDEN YEARS. I could not convince some readers that the book was not taking place in 1970. ("Why does Iceman have his baseball cap on backwards if it's the early Seventies?!?" Curiously, no one complained about Xavier owning a Hummer!)

This illustrates, unfortunately, the degree to which the anal retentives have really taken over the playing field.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2013 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 12  

As I look more at back issues in recent years (because I don't read as much new stuff anymore), I find that I like late 70s Batman because Batman/Bruce was still acting in character, you had a strong supporting cast with Comm. Gordon, Alfred, plus the addition of Lucius Fox, and Dick Grayson was portrayed as still being a teenager (and still Robin, not Nightwing) but old enough that he could run solo or be off with the Titans so that the option existed to tell stories with Batman and Robin together or Batman alone. I want Batman in an era when there was only one Robin but he wasn't in every single story.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version