Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Robin Dies Horribly...Who Cares? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 1  

Officially a Damian fan, now!
Back to Top profile | search

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

Regarding spoilers, I would suggest removing the actual picture of the kill. Perhaps a link would suffice.

Edited by Flavio Sapha on 06 March 2013 at 1:17pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

I didn't "spoil" anything. DC put out press releases way in advance..News outlets are all reporting it (which is why DC let the cat out of the bag) I didn't even give a synopsis of the story, so if you wanted to read it, you can. I just put two preview pics up to illustrate a point..you have to read the book to find out what's going on....The word "spoiler" is used too much on the internet IMHO

----

To be fair, the pics you posted do give away a bit too much. They do spoil the book for anyone reading it. I would have at least cropped out who he was fighting.

I'm reminded of the time that someone recommended THE USUAL SUSPECTS to me and told me:

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
I don't want to give anything away, but everything he says is a lie.

I figured out the twist halfway through the movie. How was that not giving anything away? Jerk.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'm wondering if the Jason Todd call in his fate was just a publicity stunt and his death had already decided in the offices of DC?

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 5  

We've run out of ideas... hmm kill a hero! No wonder I haven't bought any new books from the "big two" in years. Revamp, repackage, remake, reboot. Right.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 6  

I apologize if anyone thought I spoiled the book for them, but that really wasn't the point of this thread. Looks like there's still fans of this style of comic, I'm just not one of them. Story-wise, it makes the heroes seem as insane as the villains for letting a damaged child fight crime until he dies, instead of helping him get thru his violent past.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 7  

I have a question: The Age of Ultron thread was locked because it was
discussing a title JB is not working on. How is this thread different?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 8  

Kip wrote:
...The Age of Ultron thread was locked because it was
discussing a title JB is not working on. How is this thread different?...

I think it's because the death of Damien provokes a discussion that goes beyond the comic book itself, and addresses how such stories affect the industry.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mark Rand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
I apologize if anyone thought I spoiled the book for them, but that really wasn't the point of this thread. Looks like there's still fans of this style of comic, I'm just not one of them. Story-wise, it makes the heroes seem as insane as the villains...

I'm more concerned about the sanity of the people in charge at DC. The over-the-top stunts(and I'm including Batman absorbing a hail of gunfire)are clearly designed to drum up interest in their comics. But as of this moment, the best thing that could happen to beloved characters like Batman and Superman...would be the entire enterprise shutting down permanently. Throw away the damn key. The only saving grace is the incredibly small amount of people reading this junk.

If the writers and editors want to create their own characters and slaughter them in vivid detail...let them have at it. But setting minds like this loose on the DC Universe has done lasting harm to the brand.

Jeff Stockwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 10  

I agree with the question of how can Batman continue after his son is killed like this. The other question is how can the other heroes in the DCU, especially Dick Grayson, sit by and let him continue the course of action he is on? There will obviously be another Robin. How could Dick and Superman let Bruce recruit another kid when he has a trail of dead sidekicks? It simply makes no sense.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 11  

I agree with the question of how can Batman continue after his son is killed like this. The other question is how can the other heroes in the DCU, especially Dick Grayson, sit by and let him continue the course of action he is on? There will obviously be another Robin. How could Dick and Superman let Bruce recruit another kid when he has a trail of dead sidekicks? It simply makes no sense.
---------------

Maybe this is the modern version of when you start asking how can glasses be an effective disguise, it means it is time to move on. For modern comics, if you ask these questions, it is time to move on, otherwise just accept it as an aspect of serial stories in the modern era.

I mean, is this really different than Captain America and Iron Man going from enemies in Civil War to totally trusting one another again or the X-Men accepting Magneto into their school as a teacher to any other number of unbelievable shoveling autrocities under the rug?

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 12  

(rhetorical) questions:

Wasn't it Grant Morrison that recently wrote the death of Batman?

Does anybody care about that Storyline anymore?

Do they still publish new Batman comics?
(the answer to this one is yes AND no.
Yes, they are new, but the story ideas are all old)

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version